5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frustrated - back carpet wet

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased my truck on September 8, and on the 11th I noticed that the back carpet was wet. We had a significant amount of rain on the 9th and 10th. I took it directly to the dealership where I purchased it. They were in the process of closing for the day and suggested that I keep it for the weekend, since they would not be working on it over the weekend. I returned it to them on the 16th, which was my next day off after the weekend. They still have it, and claim that they have not found any leaks so far. I’m trying very hard to be patient. I’ve only checked in twice during this time period. But, how in the world could it take a week to find a leak? I’m really getting frustrated. What I’m really worried about is other items affected by this leak. I asked the salesman how long the truck has been on their lot and he told me it’s been there since June. So, most likely every time it has rained and the truck has been washed since June or even before, the carpet has been exposed to water. And, anything touching the carpet, wherever it’s wet, has been exposed to water. I’m thinking anything electronic will be corroding inside due to excess moisture. I fear that years down the road I’ll be chasing ghost trouble codes that cannot be diagnosed due to hidden water damage that has been occurring since June. This is extremely troubling to me and I’m really starting to regret this purchase. The only reason I made this purchase is because I lost my pride and joy (2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab w/5.9 Cummins) on August 10, due to some idiot turning in front of me on a service road. My truck was totaled. My truck was very reliable and I loved owning and driving it. So, I bought another Ram thinking I was buying the same quality.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's most likely the third brake light (CHMSL) and your dealership is reading from the SOP on how to blow off the consumer

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I told them they will have to replace the carpet. I’m not paying over $50K for moldy carpet. So, they should go ahead and pull the carpet, and all other items needed to do so, and the leak should be much easier to find. I just get more ticked off every day it’s there.

TNSmokee

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my Limited. I was told that the carpeting and padding was anti-bacterial and wouldn't be effected. He further advised that CDJR would not replace the carpeting for that. The carpeting is molded to our floors. In my case, I had the drain tubes to my sunroof not properly installed and the sharkfin antenna was not tightened enough. I believe the sharkfin was actually causing the water to get in the floor. Mine would start in the middle and then work itself around to the rear corner behind the passenger seat and then follow the channel down to the floor in front of the rear seat and the wiring channel under the door seal. Once the sharkfin was tightened then I had no more leak. You can test this theory by running water concentrated to the sharkfin only. I know your aggravation with this one. I still find myself checking for dampness after a wash or rain event.

UncaBuddha

Reaction score
Is there a way for the owner to tighten the shark fin? Looking at the sunroof on my 2020 Limited I don't see any drain holes near the sunroof. Where are they?

Thanks!

Hemi79

Reaction score
There are 2 tubes sticking out of the back of the cab in between the bed and cab that are the drain tubes for sunroof. Ive seen some people that these are not pushed all the way through causing water from sunroof to leak into floor.

Attachments

• IMG_E1081.JPG
    IMG_E1081.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 41

TNSmokee

Reaction score
Is there a way for the owner to tighten the shark fin? Looking at the sunroof on my 2020 Limited I don't see any drain holes near the sunroof. Where are they?

Thanks!
Mine was under warranty so the dealer was going to provide that service, fix. I'm sure you could pull the headliner down enough to get to the nut holding the sharkin down. I was able to do that on my 17 GMC when I changed it out for the painted one. For the drain holes. They are at the rear and front of the channels along the side of the glass. If you look between the rear of the cab and the bed you will see two tubes coming out the rear cab wall. The grommets were not seated properly on mine. They fixed that and it was still leaking. My service writer told me that it would not be my 3rd brake light and that CDJR had fixed that on later production models. He said it would be the sharkfin.

Users who are viewing this thread