5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Windshield Ceramic Window Film

tul9033

Reaction score
The giant front windshield is cooking me like an ant under a magnifying glass.
Has anyone added clear ceramic film to the front glass? Considering Llumar Air 80 at a cost of $200. I did see one person complain on another forum a few years back of some sort of halo effect at night which would be a big no go for me.
Has anyone done it? Recommend it or not?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The giant front windshield is cooking me like an ant under a magnifying glass.
Has anyone added clear ceramic film to the front glass? Considering Llumar Air 80 at a cost of $200. I did see one person complain on another forum a few years back of some sort of halo effect at night which would be a big no go for me.
Has anyone done it? Recommend it or not?

Absolutely recommend. I got the 80 and love it. Aside from using cell phone cling screen protectors for toll tag and registration, the only caveat is that you can get a mild rainbow effect when wearing polarized sunglasses. Was a bit weird at first but I don't even notice anymore, especially when I'm driving cooler down the road.
Oh, and that leather dash will last much longer without the UV beating it would take without it.

JRD

Reaction score
I had 35% on my Durango & plan on doing the same to the 1500 I bought last week.

I feel your pain, these fishbowl windows are brutal

Dustin

IT Geek, Adventure Junkie
Reaction score
I did mine (live in Phoenix) and it makes a huge difference. The place that did it for me also does windshield replacements. So, if/when I need to replace my windshield if I bring it back to them to do it, they will tint the new windshield before installation for free.

R

Rob5589

100% recommend. I paid 175 and it has made a noticeable difference heat wise. Even the fam noticed, which is saying something. I get off at 4 am and have no abnormal issues at all.

19 streak

Reaction score
I've been looking around locally to me to get my windshield tinted slightly and I've been turned away from a few companies because they are worried about getting the electronics under the dash wet. Does this sound right? I've never tinted my windshield

SemperGumby

Reaction score
I've been looking around locally to me to get my windshield tinted slightly and I've been turned away from a few companies because they are worried about getting the electronics under the dash wet. Does this sound right? I've never tinted my windshield
I've ran into the exact same situation, I settled for the eyebrow done but will keep looking for a place to do the full screen.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had my windshield tinted with 3M Crystalline 90 and the two front windows tinted with Crystalline 70. Crystalline is 3Ms most advanced film, great heat and UV protection without needing to be dark. Windshield cost $180 and the front side windows 160 for the pair. No additional tint in the rear. Big difference in heat rejection and how fast the cabin cools. It’s especially nice that the blower fan slows down much sooner. Less UV exposure for our skin and will provide some protection for the leather dash too.

The 90% is virtually clear which is good for these old eyes. Windshield tint is illegal here in Florida but with 90% no one can even tell. Haven’t noticed any halo effects at night but I do see some rainbow effects during the day with sunglasses on, not annoying but it’s there for the front windows and the windshield.

The guys who installed the tint knew about the sensitive electronics on these trucks and many other new vehicles. They placed two absorbent rope strips at the base of the windshield and then laid towels over the entire dash. No issues.

Very satisfied with the results.

Last edited:

Klute

Reaction score
The installer has to be careful. I have heard horror stories of the water going under dash and causing electrical problems.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I paid 150 for air80 on my old truck, It seems like prices are all over. They had to redo it too, he wasn’t pleased lol. But hey, for that price I’m not driving with a tear in front of the steering wheel.

I didn’t do it on this truck, I honestly don’t think it helps that much for the heat when it gets 90+ out. At least it didn’t in the north east, maybe out west it would be more noticeable. But my seat, dash, and cab would still be HOT. It was better at reducing the headlight brightness at night more than anything. It for sure doesn’t eliminate the need for a sunshade, so at that point I figure what’s the difference. Just my opinion though, a lot of people love it. It doesn’t help that my trucks are always black or dark and thus hot as sin regardless.

I’d recommend that you try it, I don’t think there’s really any negatives to it other than I just expected more.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
Went to have Air 80 put on my windshield, installer said he would do it but at my own risk because of water damage to electronics located just behind/under the dash. He told me when he went into the system to cut the piece the software popped up a warning about installing on the '19 RAM.
Was only going to cost $125, but I declined, when he said he wouldn't risk it on his own truck.

R

Rob5589

The place I used mentioned it. They said it would take extra time due to having to make sure no fluids got to the electrical components.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
It's the BCM located under the dash to the left of the driver's side floorboard they need to be careful with. Just make sure the installer uses a soap rope between dash and windshield, plenty of towels on dash, and wraps several microfiber towels around the BCM and their shouldn't be any issues.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
I did mine (live in Phoenix) and it makes a huge difference. The place that did it for me also does windshield replacements. So, if/when I need to replace my windshield if I bring it back to them to do it, they will tint the new windshield before installation for free.
I'm here in Phx too and I was told it would be at my own risk to tint the windshield due to the electronics in the dash. I have a nice rock chip in the windshield already so I might be getting a replacement soon. Where did you have yours done? I might want to check them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online