5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Wheel Fell OFF!

taz2016

Reaction score
After seeing myself what spec those ball joint nuts are torqued to at the factory, it's a miracle that this doesn't happen more often.

When I put my leveling kit in, I put my suspension hardware back together tighter. The factory settings are scary. Even on solid axle Jeeps they only use something like 25-30 ft/lbs on the castle nuts. Crazy. On my 2020 Ram, I could have removed the ball joint nut with a 1/8" drive ratchet and my left hand. I couldn't believe it.

1/8" drive ratchet?

Helmetface

Reaction score
@OP

I know that you mentioned that your daughter didn't hear anything, but was she blasting the radio and singing to her hearts content?:unsure:

If that nut was even a little loose, it would have rattled like a sob.

I just put a leveling kit in my truck, and after 200mi, while driving down a gravel road I heard a rattle in my front end.

I pulled over, and where the upper meets the steering knuckle was about a full turn loose. I quickly tightened it up and was on my way.

It's a good habit to turn the radio off once in a while and listen.

I'm glad she's okay!

highgear2005

Reaction score
Glad,nobody was hurt! Hopefully this isn’t the start of a massive recall. First one I’ve seen. The only time I’ve seen a wheel come off, sitting in traffic the small car in front of me. Got impatient and decided to gas it into the small shopping center to our right, he turn right into a massive storm drain. Pretty much drove over it, only time I’ve seen a wheel fly off! It made my day. I’m sure he was stuck there awhile waiting on a tow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good grief you'd hope a major component like a ball joint would be more secure. Brings up the question of what else is loose?

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went to add some medium strength wicking Locktite to the UCA ball joint threads and notice the nut is a locknut with nylon insert, added the Loctite anyway for added insurance.
IMG_1812.jpg
IMG_1813.jpg

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Went to add some medium strength wicking Locktite to the UCA ball joint threads and notice the nut is a locknut with nylon insert, added the Loctite anyway for added insurance.
View attachment 59428
View attachment 59429
The nut with the nylon insert. I think that may be considered a TTY nut as well. Although I think TTY nuts are usually all metal and tapered and they stretch to some spec when you turn them to the additional angle. Hence the 26 ft/lb + 180 spec. You mechanic dudes would know for sure. I like what you did with the loctite though for good measure. Better safe than sorry.

Oh, I noticed you said you reused those. I am pretty sure those are one time use. I know you put on the loctite but you are breaking the rules!!!!!

sinn

Reaction score
What about criminal tampering.... she have an ex that is upset w/her?

Reaction score
glad to hear no one was hurt. i hope there also wasnt any body damage done to the truck with the wheel floppin around
Luckily there was no damage done until the truck was put on a tow truck....that I hear did a little damage to the front spoiler. But it still has to be dropped off to the dealership today. I have no clue what that will lead to.

myles

Reaction score
Very sad, my daughter bought a 2020 Crew Cab Long Horn on my urging. She was driving last night, and the front suspension failed and the front wheel literally came off. It looks like the nut wasn't installed at the factory, failed or came off the upper ball joint. Then while driving into a driveway at a shopping center, the right front suspension separated from the top and bottom A-Arms and then sheard the bottom ball joint. Nothing holding the hub carriers on but the steering arm and the brake line. Now she's very worried about driving the truck and wants to turn it back in to the dealer. Anyone else have this issue? I'm also looking at buying a 5th Gen 1500.
Must have been a Friday afternoon build...

Joking aside thats the 1st ive heard about on this forum, and being 1st on a forum where people come to get help with problems in pretty rare.....
I would consider it a 1 off kinda thing. Dealer should take care of you pretty good care of you. If you decide to return it tell her to cry a bit to make giving it back easier, crying girls can be very persuasive lol

myles

Reaction score
When I installed my level top hat spacers, I torqued it all back to Dookie spec...Tight as fuk!! I may pay for that later if I ever have to get it off it's taper again, but with a proper tool (no, NOT a pickle fork), it shouldn't be an issue.
I grew up in small family construction so "torqued to spec" was non existent. One of our foremans used to say "whether its torqued to spec or cross threaded, tight is tight" hahaha!!!

so i install anything i just give it a few extra ugga duggas on the impact after it stops spinning and call it good

Reaction score
Must have been a Friday afternoon build...

Joking aside thats the 1st ive heard about on this forum, and being 1st on a forum where people come to get help with problems in pretty rare.....
I would consider it a 1 off kinda thing. Dealer should take care of you pretty good care of you. If you decide to return it tell her to cry a bit to make giving it back easier, crying girls can be very persuasive lol
HAHA! That is true, but I'd have a hard time getting my daughter to cry, she's a tough cookie. Yesterday the dealership said they may give her a new vehicle. That is my hope. But the dealership needs to inspect the truck. Keeping my finger crossed for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online