5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front USB power only

nbase

Reaction score
They may have cut power to the media hub during their process. That seems to be a fix when the fronts aren’t working
No idea, they told me they didn't have time to look at the Carplay issue today, only did my oil/tire rotation. Either way, something glitched it back into working. Maybe I just have to keep my wife and her phone away from my truck! haha

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not to derail this conversation, but is there a way to remove a plugged in device from taking control?

Not using Carplay/Android Auto, my phone is set up as the primary, via Bluetooth for phone services. My wife and son are on their phones all day, so their iPhone batteries are always low. As soon as they plug in, their phones take over and my address book is no longer accessible and the plugged in device takes control over the system. Can this be changed?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
When someone else plugs in their phone, the truck should ask if you want to switch to the new device. Just press no

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck never asks, it just auto switches to that phone. I thought setting my phone as the default in the paired devices list would keep mine as primary, but it doesn't. I may need to see if that's a hidden setting that can be adjusted with AlfaOBD.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe go Uconnect in the truck and delete those devices. You can also delete it on the other phones too
F9F2BA37-7DCC-4C5D-A38D-B35BA1017A69.jpeg

nbase

Reaction score
So my problem has come back for the 2nd time, front USB is power only, Carplay will not work. I still plug my phone in every time I get in the truck to see if it will start working but it doesn't. Took it to the dealer yesterday for them to look at it, and was so happy it didn't magically start working there. They said the radio and BCM and everything was all good, they ordered the USB hub to try it, taking it in next week for that. The service writer plugged in his Android and Android Auto fired right up, so he unplugged his phone, and I plugged my Apple phone in right away and it worked. But then when I came back to get the truck after they did their checks....no Carplay again.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So my problem has come back for the 2nd time, front USB is power only, Carplay will not work. I still plug my phone in every time I get in the truck to see if it will start working but it doesn't. Took it to the dealer yesterday for them to look at it, and was so happy it didn't magically start working there. They said the radio and BCM and everything was all good, they ordered the USB hub to try it, taking it in next week for that. The service writer plugged in his Android and Android Auto fired right up, so he unplugged his phone, and I plugged my Apple phone in right away and it worked. But then when I came back to get the truck after they did their checks....no Carplay again.
Over in the "CarPlay Doesn't Work if Too Hot" thread, I just posted about a similar experience. My USB outlets don't fail, but CarPlay does. This happens about 10 minutes after a cold start, regardless of weather. I shared more details here. Now I'm wondering about changing out that hub myself...

Users who are viewing this thread