5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front USB power only

Big_Kahuna

Reaction score
2019 Ram Rebel with the 8.4 screen, whether I use the top type c(?) plugs, or a regular USB in port 1 or 2 all I get is power only. It will not launch CarPlay. Is there something I’m doing wrong? Or something wrong in the media/power hub? Thanks for any help provided!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Make sure to look at your phone when you plug it in. It should instruct you to setup CarPlay

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I dont use CarPlay or android auto but I found that some cables wont allow for data transfer and will only charge phone. Try a different cable

Big_Kahuna

Reaction score
I dont use CarPlay or android auto but I found that some cables wont allow for data transfer and will only charge phone. Try a different cable
I’ve tried a generic Amazon cable and the factory Apple cable. Still no CarPlay. Never had this problem with my Hellcat Challenger, Wrangler Rubicon, or my wife’s Durango GT. So not new to Uconnect, just never had this issue.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve tried a generic Amazon cable and the factory Apple cable. Still no CarPlay. Never had this problem with my Hellcat Challenger, Wrangler Rubicon, or my wife’s Durango GT. So not new to Uconnect, just never had this issue.
Maybe try a different phone?
Reboot your phone?
Delete all other vehicles in CarPlay settings?
Not sure what setting on the truck wild affect this. If that doesn’t work I’d take a ride to the dealer. You could use your phone on one of their vehicles as a test

Big_Kahuna

Reaction score
Maybe try a different phone?
Reboot your phone?
Delete all other vehicles in CarPlay settings?
Not sure what setting on the truck wild affect this. If that doesn’t work I’d take a ride to the dealer. You could use your phone on one of their vehicles as a test
I will definitely try that. Went into my phone setting and there were 2 other Uconnect vehicles saved. Deleted both of those, maybe there is some weird internal phone setting not letting there be 3 saved. My hope at least! I’ll test it out again in the morning

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Almost always the cable. But as mentioned, reboot your phone, after about 5 minutes with a high speed high quality cable, try connecting again. You don't need to wait, you should start hearing beeps and connections pretty quickly.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I'm assuming you bought the Ram used since it's a 19 and you're just running into this problem now. Im not exactly sure how these uconnect systems work as it's new to me but maybe the system wont recognizing your phone because there's a phone still connected from the previous owner that needs to be cleared before it can recognize yours.

Barqs

Reaction score
My 2019 just started to act up on me today. Carplay is no longer recognized. Tried it with my wireless Carplay dongle and with a cable. Both worked this morning, but stopped working when I stopped for a few minutes to eat. I'm thinking my USB media hub died. If your truck is used and you've never used Carplay, I suspect you have a bad USB media hub as well. It was a common problem in the 2019/20 Rams from what you will find in these forums. I'm going to try one or two more things, but my guess is my media hub finally died and of course it did it 3k miles outside of the 3/36 warranty!

Big_Kahuna

Reaction score
I appreciate the responses so far! Drove the ram again yesterday and this morning. Yesterday it was 101 degrees and new cable wouldn’t even charge my phone, like the media hub was dead. After about 20 mins it cooled off inside and would charge but that’s it. This morning 65 degrees and it will charge and play music through the cable, but Uconnect recognizes my phone as an iPod, is this normal? But still will not launch CarPlay. So only adds to the confusion for me!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I appreciate the responses so far! Drove the ram again yesterday and this morning. Yesterday it was 101 degrees and new cable wouldn’t even charge my phone, like the media hub was dead. After about 20 mins it cooled off inside and would charge but that’s it. This morning 65 degrees and it will charge and play music through the cable, but Uconnect recognizes my phone as an iPod, is this normal? But still will not launch CarPlay. So only adds to the confusion for me!
Not normal at all. do you see your truck in CarPlay settings? It should be called Uconnect.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
No, open up CarPlay on my phone settings and it is not finding anything
I see. When I first hooked up my phone, it started the CarPlay setup process. Only had to do this once. Can you try another phone?

Big_Kahuna

Reaction score
Tried my wife’s phone in the Ram, still acting the exact same way. It will recognize it as an “iPod” and will play music through the media tab. But will still not launch CarPlay. Guess a trip to the dealer is in my future…

nbase

Reaction score
I had a similar but different experience. Was driving on a long trip, CarPlay was working fine, wife plugs her phone in to the port on the right to charge it, my CarPlay goes away, now it’s been a couple days and it won’t come back. I’ve deleted the vehicle from the phone CarPlay settings, deleted my phone from Bluetooth settings, it will not pick up any iPhone for CarPlay anymore. Sucks driving in a city you don’t know and having to look at your phone for directions.

nbase

Reaction score
Little update to my front USB only having power only, and Carplay no longer working.... Took the truck to the dealer today for an oil change, told them about the issue, got the standard response, "never heard of that". On the way home, needed to charge up my phone so I plugged it in. To my surprise, Carplay popped right up on the dash. So I'm thinking whatever the glitch was.....them plugging their wireless OBD2 dongle in must have un-glitched it. Who knows how long it will continue to work.....fingers crossed it stays.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Little update to my front USB only having power only, and Carplay no longer working.... Took the truck to the dealer today for an oil change, told them about the issue, got the standard response, "never heard of that". On the way home, needed to charge up my phone so I plugged it in. To my surprise, Carplay popped right up on the dash. So I'm thinking whatever the glitch was.....them plugging their wireless OBD2 dongle in must have un-glitched it. Who knows how long it will continue to work.....fingers crossed it stays.
They may have cut power to the media hub during their process. That seems to be a fix when the fronts aren’t working

Users who are viewing this thread