5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front tow hook bolt issue

Oilslick

Reaction score
I purchased a bull bar for my 2021 1500 BTS edition and the instructions require that the front tow hook bolts be removed. There are two bolts per side. One bolt on each side removes with no issues. However, the rear bolt holding the tow hook unscrews but doesn't drop from the frame. This applies for both the driver and passenger side of the vehicle. Anybody have any idea why the bolt can't be removed?

See pic for reference.

Attachments

• rear towhook bolt.jpeg
    rear towhook bolt.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 53

realralfy

Reaction score
It has a retention washer on it, that prevents it from simply falling out after you have loosened all the threads...loosen it all you can, and then put a good wrench at the top of the bolt body under the head of the bolt and hammer it out....It will take a few good licks to get it out, but you will feel it coming with every whack...

leedial

Reaction score
I took my hooks off to paint them and had similar issue. If I recall correctly, I was able to completely remove by keeping downward pressure while unscrewing at the same time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a retainer clip that holds that bolt up - you have to put a wrench over the bolt head and tap with a hammer until it comes out and then take that retainer off. Serves no purpose other than keeping it from falling out I think so no need to replace. You'll also have to Jimmy it gently around d the active air dam.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used a pry bar…after unscrewing it and it came half way down.

Just light put pressure down on it, then it popped that retention clip.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'll give it a try.

If that doesn't work, get a set of plyers. Then clip it at the neck of the bolt, right under the washer/bolt. Then lightly hammer down on it, and it will come out that way too. It does take to much hammering to get it off.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I took my hooks off to paint them and had similar issue. If I recall correctly, I was able to completely remove by keeping downward pressure while unscrewing at the same time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
This worked for me as well. No hammering needed to remove them on my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread