5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Suspension/linkage "popping"

VictoriaFarm

Reaction score
I am having the same issue with my truck. Took to dealership and they could not replicate.

TxAg98

Reaction score
Add a '21 to the list. My '21 Laramie with ORG does this EXACT thing. Driver's side only.

wvinson

Reaction score
My '19 Limited has done this since new. I took to dealership and they tightened the sway bar, but that did not fix it.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Yea definitely body mounts. On previous gen some guys would remove the bolt add some lock right and torque back to spec.

Nibis

Reaction score
Mine is doing this on the passenger side, usually when I'm turning and suspension drops quickly due to a drop off or pot hole. I tried to look at it the other day, but too cold, LOL

redevil

Reaction score
I think I have to take mine in for this same issue. Happens more on the passenger side. Way more noticeable when I back out off a driveway and if I hit a speed bump or pothole.

Brokay

Reaction score
Anyone have this solved yet. I've had the mounts changed out as per the TSB for the 2019's but it hasn't fixed my issue.

jth877

Reaction score
Anyone have this solved yet. I've had the mounts changed out as per the TSB for the 2019's but it hasn't fixed my issue.
I would check the torque or the mount bolts they put in. You can rent a torque wrench for free or buy a cheap one from HF. If they are at least at 80ftlbs try going to 85. If that doesn't fix the clunk, it must be something else loose.

Booch

Reaction score
Noticed something like this tonight on the highway in my 21. First I thought I hit a small bird (kinda sounded/felt like that), but then it did it two more times in about 5 minutes, before I got home. Guess I'll check those body mounts in the morning.

Jtgayle

Reaction score
I figure the tsb will cover 2020 pretty soon so I'll wait for that. In the mean time ill tighten the driver side a pillar body mount and see if that helps.
My 2020 ram 2500 doing the same thing. Took it to the dealer. Charged my $267.00 to diagnose it. Said upper balljoins$1043, shocks $780, and steering shock $450 needs to be replaced. (None of it covered by warranty) I changed balloons myself. Needless to say, the ones I pulled were fine and didn’t help at all. They know it’s a common problem, why not fix it on recall or say what the problem is. Not happy at all.

masterm54

Reaction score
My truck (2020 ram power wagon 2500) is doing the same pop sound when suspension fully drops and retracts and it spent sometime at dealer and they said they couldn't replicate it. it sounds like it's coming from behind the dash/glove compartment. I strapped a go pro underneath to hopefully see something but all I got was the sound of the"pop" sound. It wouldn't be the shock getting over extended that would make this sound would it? I'm going to check all body mounts and see if any are loose I have attached a video so u can hear pop sound I'm describing.. any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Woosatch

Reaction score
My 21 Powerwagon had a similar noise that sounded and felt like described. It only happened at lower speeds (less than 20 mph) after a pot hole, speed bump, significant body roll, hard braking, etc. It started almost immediately after purchasing the vehicle but I didn't bother me enough to investigate. Initially it sounded more like hitting the bump stop lightly. After 3 years and 90k miles, it finally got serious, started to sound more like a metallic noise. Needless to say, I had 2 "body hold down cushions" completely shot and the rest are on borrowed time. I took it in to the dealer about a month ago thinking the front end was going to be rebuilt but that was not the case. $850 to replace the two cratered mounts and decided I would replace the other 6 myself. If you buy the parts from a dealer, you can expect to pay $70-$100 per mount (does not include bolt) and they are all different (2-front, 2-a-pillar, 2-b-pillar, 2-rear). I have found them online as well but with shipping it probably wont be much cheaper. Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread