5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Skid Plate

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was under the impression that it attached to the bumper, which the Rebel has a different style bumper than the "regular" 1500s so not sure how they can make a one size fits all plate

It looked to me like it attaches to the frame legs where the active air dam would normally be.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
filler plate attached to first cross member and frame horn, for those who didn't read my writeup lol
hence it's a one piece fit all trim design. RCI's big brain moment there with that design lol no one saw using frame horn as an option lol

also for anyone who's concerned about the filler piece design, it in fact does NOT touch the bumper even when offroading through bumpy terrains.

KOOPS

Reaction score
Thanks again for the plug. Install was smooth other than missing the m10 nuts. ended up with the wrong hardware packets I guess. Had to raid the spares bin.

Installing the trans and transfer units after I wrap up my ppe transmission pan swap. (y)
I have the 2020 Diesel too, looking to get this as well. Sounds like you bought the whole skid plate package for the Eco. Is there any coverage for the Fuel Filter on the driver's side? Wondering what the main differences are between the packages RCI offers for the 3.0 Diesel vs 5.7 Hemi? Also wondering if there will be any fitment issues with my White Knuckle Offroad (diesel; 33 gal) sliders :unsure: with the RCI transfer case skid plate cross-member....

Daverous

Reaction score
No coverage for the fuel filter unless you get the cat protectors. I haven’t at this point but am considering it. Only drawback I see at that point is the fuel filter change will take longer, as will the oil change since I’d have to remove the entire skid to get at it all. I dunno, still considering if it’s worth it. Report back if I jump in.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also, ran into this recently too.

Can’t vouch at all for them. Just a link I ran across.
Looks good and good price. Doesn't seem like the front skid plate would be as sturdy with the way the brackets are ro gold it to the active air damn mounta.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No coverage for the fuel filter unless you get the cat protectors. I haven’t at this point but am considering it. Only drawback I see at that point is the fuel filter change will take longer, as will the oil change since I’d have to remove the entire skid to get at it all. I dunno, still considering if it’s worth it. Report back if I jump in.
Taking skids off should NOT take any longer at all. Loosen 3 bolts and remove 2 bolts and it's out. Can be done in like 30 seconds lol

or if you have the fumoto valve then you won't even need to remove skid at all.

KOOPS

Reaction score
There seems to be two different pictures of the transmission skids where the oil drain cutout would be. The first pic doesn't appear to have a oil drain cutout? And the other picture does. Can anyone confirm?

1697093369014.png

1697093267606.png

KOOPS

Reaction score
There seems to be two different pictures of the transmission skids where the oil drain cutout would be. The first pic doesn't appear to have a oil drain cutout? And the other picture does. Can anyone confirm?

View attachment 169086

View attachment 169085

Maybe it is an older pic, @boogielander seems to have a cutout in his writeup. Boogie, would it be relatively simple to reach/open and attach a drain-hose to the Fumoto valve during oil changes? I have one installed already. It's hard to tell how much space is really there with that cutout.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe it is an older pic, @boogielander seems to have a cutout in his writeup. Boogie, would it be relatively simple to reach/open and attach a drain-hose to the Fumoto valve during oil changes? I have one installed already. It's hard to tell how much space is really there with that cutout.
yes it does have a cutout.
it shouldn't be a problem to reach open/ attach a drain hose through the hole. should be quite simple to do that.
i do have a bigger hand and it only takes me 20 seconds to remove and put back the skid so I don't mind removing the skid.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I placed an order and should have the skid plates in hand tomorrow. I also have the Fumoto valve so will be curious to see how oil changes work. Either way, I don’t mind removing skid plates if needed.

My truck does have the factory skid plate package and I have one factory plate under the transmission already… so I am curious to see if the front skid would work with that factory plate or if I simply need to remove it and install both of the RCI plates. RCI didn’t offer a front plate only option so I ended up ordering the 2-plate package.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I placed an order and should have the skid plates in hand tomorrow. I also have the Fumoto valve so will be curious to see how oil changes work. Either way, I don’t remind removing skid plates if needed.

My truck does have the factory skid plate package and I have one factory plate under the transmission already… so I am curious to see if the front skid would work with that factory plate or if I simply need to remove it and install both of the RCI plates. RCI didn’t offer a front plate only option so I ended up ordering the 2-plate package.
The factory skid plates offer minimal protection

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The factory skid plates offer minimal protection

It’s okay. I’m now in the Midwest so have minimal concern for structural impacts.

My main concern these days is sucking tall grass into my engine belts. The front plate alone resolves my major concerns with my Ram.

I do make it out to the mountains once or twice a year, but definitely don’t run this truck as hard as I did my Tacoma when I lived out that way.

paulmarsh22

Reaction score
Does the RCI kit work with lift kits? Or is it meant to be installed only on a non lifted stock truck?

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
I placed an order and should have the skid plates in hand tomorrow. I also have the Fumoto valve so will be curious to see how oil changes work. Either way, I don’t remind removing skid plates if needed.

Make a YouTube video

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Make a YouTube video

here's everything you need to know

Users who are viewing this thread