5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Skid Plate

Downytide

Reaction score
That Dethloff skid plate is nice, but it's not what we're after. We're looking for something coming back from the front bumper that protects the engine bay. If I lift the front end of the truck I can sit up underneath the truck between the radiator and "skid plate" on my Rebel.

+1

I've had hit a rock once with the front cross member, it was very slow so barely even scratch the coating, but would like something like on my wife's 4Runner, hers is a TRD Pro so it has this nice chunky skid plate that I'm jealous of, Ideally if someone can make replacement piece of the lower trim that extend to the cross member and may be with a flap or sort so can reach the oil filter.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will probably do what @MurrayB did, and mock something up with cardboard. I have a local fabrication shop in the town I moved to that I may use this as a "see what you can do" test.

MurrayB

Reaction score
I will probably do what @MurrayB did, and mock something up with cardboard. I have a local fabrication shop in the town I moved to that I may use this as a "see what you can do" test.
I'm sure some experienced fab folks can come up with something pretty cool. If you've got any questions or want some more photos of what I did let me know. I was just making it up as I went and am very happy with the end result. The hardest part was getting everything centered, drilled, and lined up with existing holes on the front bumper. I can still access most of the front end from the under side at either corner and can take the factory skid off without removing anything else up front.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure some experienced fab folks can come up with something pretty cool. If you've got any questions or want some more photos of what I did let me know. I was just making it up as I went and am very happy with the end result. The hardest part was getting everything centered, drilled, and lined up with existing holes on the front bumper. I can still access most of the front end from the under side at either corner and can take the factory skid off without removing anything else up front.
Yeah this is what I was coming from, so I feel a little naked without something protecting the engine. It was great. That little square plate you see gave access to the oil filter which was easily exposed after you removed it, and it had a chute attached underneath the filter that kept oil off of everything.
1594987295080.png

EGJ16

Reaction score
Thank you for this!! I was thinking about removing the front valance but didnt like that it was exposed that much. I dont need it so much for rock protection or debris, but for water (driving through floods) and maybe a little mud. And at around $100 it wont break the bank.
New to the forum but just got done throwing a skid plate on the front. I too didn't like the idea of not even having a splash shield up front and couldn't find anything aftermarket. I made some cardboard templates and brought it into a local steel supply/industrial fab shop and had a plate cut from 16 ga steel and bent to my specs. It mounts flush to the bumper and crossmember. The factory plate bolts on top. Total cost was under $100 including paint and hardware.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Any pictures showing the entire front of the truck? I’m curious to see how it looks... even though I’m a fan of function over looks.

When I search online, I only see options for skit plates using aftermarket front bumpers. Really wish someone would come to the table with a fabricated plate. Again, form over function... but I really love the looks of plates on the Tacoma/4Runner or Raptor. They can add a lot of visual appeal of done well.

MurrayB

Reaction score
Any pictures showing the entire front of the truck? I’m curious to see how it looks... even though I’m a fan of function over looks.

When I search online, I only see options for skit plates using aftermarket front bumpers. Really wish someone would come to the table with a fabricated plate. Again, form over function... but I really love the looks of plates on the Tacoma/4Runner or Raptor. They can add a lot of visual appeal of done well.

How's this? It's noticable enough that I didn't want to cheap out on hardware but otherwse it's pretty low profile.
20200731_145705.png 20200810_194003.jpg

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How's this? It's noticable enough that I didn't want to cheap out on hardware but otherwse it's pretty low profile.
View attachment 65109 View attachment 65110

Thanks, those pictures are perfect. Looks like that plate will serve you well... I probably need to get one made up.

With its location, I probably wouldn’t be looking to highlight it with a different color, such as gray, like the above referenced vehicles.

orange01z28

Reaction score
I found out the hard way today that there's a distinct lack of protection for the transmission on the Rebel. The transmission plan is plastic and unprotected. I punched a hole in it on a trail that was not even hard at all; and then all the bells and whistles of the automatic shifting made it a fun little process to get the transfer case back into neutral so we could flat tow it to a road where I could get my normal AAA towing to get the pan replaced. Luckily the guy behind me noticed the leak and I shut it down before any real damage was done

So are all the skid plates on this thread custom?

Americantruck04

Reaction score
I found out the hard way today that there's a distinct lack of protection for the transmission on the Rebel. The transmission plan is plastic and unprotected. I punched a hole in it on a trail that was not even hard at all; and then all the bells and whistles of the automatic shifting made it a fun little process to get the transfer case back into neutral so we could flat tow it to a road where I could get my normal AAA towing to get the pan replaced. Luckily the guy behind me noticed the leak and I shut it down before any real damage was done

So are all the skid plates on this thread custom?

They have one for 5.7 but they need test vehicles for v6 and the ecodiesel

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Exclud Rebel ! Crap anyway I have a bunch of UHP plastic left over from another project my ATV,s use it for skid plates. I’m gonna template my Rebel and mock up it should be strong enough for the front for sticks and splashing. I don’t think steel need at the very front but over that tranny pan for sure.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found this one online. Looks close to your design too! Skid Plate Ram

Nice find!

I just got done talking with American Trucks and they have absolutely no info on this part. I’m not even sure it connects to a OEM bumper or only the Black Horse aftermarket bumper. I’d be inclined to purchase it once I see a picture showing it actually exists and confirmation it’ll fit the truck.

Also... shame on me for not knowing this but I’ve not changed my new truck oil yet. I’ll have to look at whether a hole is needed for access to the filter or pan. This skid plate doesn’t seem to show any access point.

Bobbybob

Reaction score
Well I will let you know...just pulled the trigger on it. Same with my call, the rep did not have a lot of information on it. Stay tuned!

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I will let you know...just pulled the trigger on it. Same with my call, the rep did not have a lot of information on it. Stay tuned!

Awesome! Glad to see someone with the kahunas to give it a try!

If it fits, I’ll be buying one as well. I do a lot of driving on 2-track roads and I’m just looking for something to prevent tall grass/weeds from getting sucked into the engine belts and/or burning from direct contact with hot objects along the bottom.

Bobbybob

Reaction score
Well...super bummed that this was not the right product for us OEM bumper guys. The piece itself super high quality and is 1/8” powder coated steel. It is def for their after market bumper and even states that on the cover of the instructions. Can I make it work...eeeeeeehhhh...still TBD but think I will return and try a diff route. I did call the company too and a tech support rep also stated it might work but will require some additional work. For $160 my gut is saying go elsewhere / fab myself (as previous poster did). Gonna let American Truck know they need to update their info as well.
791D01C9-EB06-4B2A-B516-B47EA7350DEE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread