5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front painted bumper chipping

dawenger85

Reaction score
I bought a new 2022 ram 1500 back in march of 22. I noticed in the first 10k miles that I had some paint chips on the front bumper all the way to the white. I thought it was bad luck. Stone chips? Absolutely not! Now I’ve been riding my motorcycle a lot and the truck has been in the garage and the paint is still chipping like a mother. Now it looks like I have a white spotted gray truck. Less than 20k miles. Does anyone know if ram covers this? My truck is garage kept and detailed and I have ceramic coating on it. Any help? Thanks !

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bought a new 2022 ram 1500 back in march of 22. I noticed in the first 10k miles that I had some paint chips on the front bumper all the way to the white. I thought it was bad luck. Stone chips? Absolutely not! Now I’ve been riding my motorcycle a lot and the truck has been in the garage and the paint is still chipping like a mother. Now it looks like I have a white spotted gray truck. Less than 20k miles. Does anyone know if ram covers this? My truck is garage kept and detailed and I have ceramic coating on it. Any help? Thanks !
As long as you are under 3/36, probably, but it happens to every painted bumper. Plenty of complaints on here.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I doubt Ram will cover any chipping of the paint unless it's factory defect. But you can also get PPF on it like a lot of us have done to keep that to a minimum.

6of36

Reaction score
I doubt Ram will cover any chipping of the paint unless it's factory defect. But you can also get PPF on it like a lot of us have done to keep that to a minimum.
It depends. If chipping is due to paint adhesion, they should cover. Darksteel just had his covered, having it repaired elsewhere, after a fight.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I seriously doubt they will cover paint chips under the factory warranty, but let me know if you have success getting them to take care of it. My truck has less than 4000 miles and I already have several paint chips in the front bumper and we don't have gravel roads where I live.

The painted bumper is an option I could have done without, but it was on the truck that has all the other options I wanted. I like the looks, but a shiny chrome bumper looks a lot better than a chipped painted bumper and a chrome bumper will look new after several hundred thousand miles.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A ceramic coating will do nothing against a rock slamming into a steel bumper at 70 MPH. It's just the nature of painted steel bumpers, they don't give like a plastic bumper to absorb some of the impact so the paint chips. I put PPF on mine a week after I bought it and it still looks brand new after 65,000 miles.

Dewey

Reaction score
I touch mine up every 3-4 months with a Dr Colorchip kit. So far so good. That’s the joys of having a painted bumper. I knew that going in.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It depends. If chipping is due to paint adhesion, they should cover. Darksteel just had his covered, having it repaired elsewhere, after a fight.
Did he get it resolved? Last I saw Ram was fighting him, never saw the final results if they reimbursed him or not.

I do know some dealers will cover and some won't. Many dealers hate paint claims and only do them if you purchased from them.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
More like a god damn abortion.
In hindsight I would of rather just gotten an aftermarket bumper and not deal with Ram ever again for anything.
Did he get it resolved? Last I saw Ram was fighting him, never saw the final results if they reimbursed him or not.

I do know some dealers will cover and some won't. Many dealers hate paint claims and only do them if you purchased from them.
Yes I did. I was even given extra money as compensation (I didn't ask for anything) as they reviewed the phone logs and confirmed everything that happened. Corporate wasn't very happy with what\how Ramcares was running the gig.

Ramcares should get dismantled and everything taken back in-house. I would rather be talking to someone in India then the running joke that is Ramcares.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ramcares should get dismantled and everything taken back in-house. I would rather be talking to someone in India then the running joke that is Ramcares.
I have warned people, you lived it. They are a joke. Ramcares and Maxcare both suck and are outsourced trash.

Draid

Reaction score
My 2021 black longhorn had front bumper chips. I was going to repaint then though wy not cover with a front bra. Got the colgen,slightly more expensive, cut the part of the bra that covers the grill, tucked through top of bumper and fastened. Looks great. I like the stiching look. I know it's not great for the paint, even with the felt underside, but I figured nothing to lose since it needed painting anyway.

Attachments

• 20221126_184707.jpg
    20221126_184707.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 39

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2021 black longhorn had front bumper chips. I was going to repaint then though wy not cover with a front bra. Got the colgen,slightly more expensive, cut the part of the bra that covers the grill, tucked through top of bumper and fastened. Looks great. I like the stiching look. I know it's not great for the paint, even with the felt underside, but I figured nothing to lose since it needed painting anyway.
Looks like your truck is into BDSM.

Draid

Reaction score
Thought I'd throw in a couple of more pictures of my baby.

Attachments

• 20221204_192610.jpg
    20221204_192610.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20221204_192813.jpg
    20221204_192813.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20221126_164052.jpg
    20221126_164052.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20221106_221106.jpg
    20221106_221106.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 32

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think it looks good.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the bra. Where did you get it? I do a lot of hwy miles. I'm interested. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread