5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk while turning POLL AIR OR NOT?

If you have a “clunking” suspension on your new Ram, is it standard or air?

• Total voters

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you own a 2019 Ram 1500 and are experiencing the front end “clunk” noise from your front suspension (seems to be most prevalent when turning or while rolling side to side), please fill out our poll to see if it correlates with standard or air suspension (or happens with either).

Feel free to add comments to describe when you experience it, what it is like, where the sound comes from, and ESPECIALLY what has worked or not worked to remedy it.

This poll is meant to complement the already existing thread on the topic here: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/front-end-clunk-while-turning.1003/

Hope it helps, and thanks!

Last edited:

immersivenc

Reaction score
More likely to happen over uneven pavement or when the front end is flexing in a low speed turn. Rack and pinion replacement and tightening damn near every bolt in the front end has been no help.

Attaboy

Reaction score
Had a clunk at under 10k miles. Dealer retorqued front end went away. Clunk returned at 52K; replace A-pillar mounts, sway bar bushings and end links (Suspensionmax) to no avail. Feel it under drivers foot, firewall when backing out of sloped driveway, or sudden slow speed stops. No highway noise.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Mine had more of a clicking than a clunk if I recall, but it’s been over a year since rectified.
After multiple visits and arguing and me doing the shops troubleshooting for them, turned out they replaced both front lower control arms at 18k miles. I think I noticed it at around 15-16k miles.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't hear very often, and couldn't tell you if it's a cold weather, etc thing. Only happens turning left at slow speeds. Really only one place where the pavement drops have I noticed it.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello, @Belvedere!

If you elect to visit a dealer, feel free to send us a private message. We're here to offer added support.

Hannah
Ram Cares

Attaboy

Reaction score
Update: Drove my usual workday routine for three days then had a chance to re-torque the pillar mounts and sway bar end links. The clunk/clicking is eliminated but time will tell. I wonder if the parts need some time to properly seat, if we use that term, then re-torque. If it comes back I’ll update.

6of36

Reaction score
Update: Drove my usual workday routine for three days then had a chance to re-torque the pillar mounts and sway bar end links. The clunk/clicking is eliminated but time will tell. I wonder if the parts need some time to properly seat, if we use that term, then re-torque. If it comes back I’ll update.
What are you calling " a pillar"? The only a pillar I know of, is at the windshield.

Attaboy

Reaction score
That’s correct. The body mount or body hold down is under the cab below the pillar. Sorry for the confusion. MOPAR calls these the A pillar mounts or body hold downs.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Would you mind sharing the torque setting you used on the body mounts?

Attaboy

Reaction score
See the attached. I initially use the specs then bumped it up to 90 vs 80 ft lbs.

Attachments

• MC-10162537-9999.pdf
    234.7 KB · Views: 5

Attaboy

Reaction score
Lots of additional detail on this thread:

Users who are viewing this thread