5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk over bumps

RAMpage

Reaction score
Had a search around and clunking seems to be a common problem but for turning.

Mine is clunking from the front passenger corner while going over speed bumps. If I hit one on the driver side only, no clunk. Can repeat every time from the passenger side though. Anyone have similar issue before?

Thanks!

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
Had a search around and clunking seems to be a common problem but for turning.

Mine is clunking from the front passenger corner while going over speed bumps. If I hit one on the driver side only, no clunk. Can repeat every time from the passenger side though. Anyone have similar issue before?

Thanks!
See TSB 23-047-18

Gemlin

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 1500 built in June of 2019 was making a clunking noise randomly from the front end.

I ended up looking at this TSB Link and read that it only applied to vehicles made from 11/01/2019 to 03/04/2019. (Mine was built in 06/xx/2019).

I crawled under the vehicle last night after work, put wrenches on the nut on the drivers side front sway bar link, and found the driver side was loose. I tightened it up and checked the passenger side. (passenger side was tight).

Drove the truck afterwards and noise problem was fixed. No more clunking.

If this ever happens again, I'm going to loosen the nut and put blue loctite on it then torque it back on.

If yours is making noise, you may want to check this. It could be a 5 minute fix and you may want to do it yourself. I didn't want to have to go to the dealer, wait 3 hours while they got someone free to "try to figure it out" when it was simply a loose nut.

RAMpage

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 1500 built in June of 2019 was making a clunking noise randomly from the front end.

I ended up looking at this TSB Link and read that it only applied to vehicles made from 11/01/2019 to 03/04/2019. (Mine was built in 06/xx/2019).

I crawled under the vehicle last night after work, put wrenches on the nut on the drivers side front sway bar link, and found the driver side was loose. I tightened it up and checked the passenger side. (passenger side was tight).

If this ever happens again, I'm going to loosen the nut and put blue loctite on it then torque it back on.

If yours is making noise, you may want to check this. It could be a 5 minute fix and you may want to do it yourself. I didn't want to have to go to the dealer, wait 3 hours while they got someone free to "try to figure it out" when it was simply a loose nut.

Nice - thanks for the info! Will do that when I get home today. Would gladly spend a few mins fixing it myself like you said... hate going to the dealer for stuff since it's hours vs minutes then.
What size is the nut - do you remember?

RAMpage

Reaction score
Guess I need to go get myself a crowfoot wrench set. I assume it’s metric like everything else on the truck.

Gemlin

Reaction score
I used two crescent wrenches. One to hold the pin and the other to tighten the nut.

RAMpage

Reaction score
I used two crescent wrenches. One to hold the pin and the other to tighten the nut.

Hmmm I must not be doing something right... but was kinda hard to get a wrench in there from how I was positioned. Seemed to be around a 18mm nut and when I tried turning it, it felt mega tight. I was only using the one wrench though.

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
Could that be the same clunk source it only coming from one side?
Thanks!
Yes. Mine only occurred when turning to the right. So, it could be “directional”. Once the A pillar mounts were replaced, no “clunk”.

Gemlin

Reaction score
You have to hold the stud and turn the nut at the same time. That nut needs to be around 68ft torque.

Tightening mine solved the clunk. Ill admit not much space for a wrench where it is.

RAMpage

Reaction score
You have to hold the stud and turn the nut at the same time. That nut needs to be around 68ft torque.

Tightening mine solved the clunk. Ill admit not much space for a wrench where it is.

Yours must have been really loose then since 68 isn’t much? Raining here so will hold off on getting back under it to have another go.

Last edited:

TBK

Reaction score
I love this forum. My truck just started doing this. Asked the dealer and they said it's definitely not normal and they haven't heard of any trucks with the issue (do they ever admit to common problems?). Come to this forum and half a dozen threads on the issue. Will check this on Saturday to see if it's the issue. If I can do it in 30 mins, it saves me a whole day of messing around with the dealer.

Zeeya

Reaction score

Thanks for info. I get the bump on either side on lease roads if one side suddenly drops a few inches and that's traveling around 10mph. Definite clunk. Hope this will solve the problem..

xzombiex66

Reaction score

Got a question, did you raise your truck to do this or just leave the tire on the ground?

RAMpage

Reaction score
I wish it solved my clunk but no luck. It happens 99% of the time when the wheel suddenly drops (ex a pothole, coming down a speed bump, etc). Even took the service manager out in it and demonstrated the issue to him but was told it was "normal". Ya, I'm sure! When I put the truck in aero mode though, it almost never happens. Will have to bring it to another dealer at some point.

justahbustah

Reaction score
I wish it solved my clunk but no luck. It happens 99% of the time when the wheel suddenly drops (ex a pothole, coming down a speed bump, etc). Even took the service manager out in it and demonstrated the issue to him but was told it was "normal". Ya, I'm sure! When I put the truck in aero mode though, it almost never happens. Will have to bring it to another dealer at some point.
I bought my truck a few weeks ago and notice the noise exactly as you described, front passenger side, when going over speed bumps. Please let us know if you find out any other info! I’ll do the same.

Intruder62

Reaction score
I bought my truck a few weeks ago and notice the noise exactly as you described, front passenger side, when going over speed bumps. Please let us know if you find out any other info! I’ll do the same.
Yes, please let us know. My 2020 Rebel feels like the tires are going to fall off! Did have the SST 3.5” lift installed and is 10 times worse. Nothing feels loose, but small bumps and speed bumps are unbearable.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here. I think I'll put a wrench on the links this weekend and see if they are loose.

Users who are viewing this thread