5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Door Alpine 6x9 Speaker Replacement - CDT Audio CL-69S.2

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
Finally pulled the trigger on these after seeing them on sale for $110 ($130 shipped). These are some of the very few 6x9’s available in a 2 ohm impedance, which is what I was looking for to maximize the performance of the Alpine amplifier. The magnets on these are massive compared to the stock Alpines and the entire speaker weighs nearly twice as much. Zero issues with fitment or mounting depth with the CDT’s. They play nicely with the Active Noise Canceling system as well, just ensure the correct polarity orientation if using Metra adapters (I had to flip mine). The bass response is much tighter and pronounced, without being boomy like the Alpines could be at times. These paired with three Infinity Reference 3.5’s in the dash is absolute night and day difference from stock. I cannot recommend these enough for Alpine owners looking for more kick in their sound. These retail for $250, so at $110 they feel like a steal.
IMG_7620.jpg
IMG_7621.jpg
IMG_7622.jpg
IMG_7623.jpg
IMG_7625.jpg
IMG_7626.jpg

Kone

Reaction score
Nice! Where did you get them for that price?

Anyone know for sure if these are a straight swap (@ 2 ohm) for the "base" sound package With ANC?

Syrupmaker Bighorn

Reaction score
I just did the swap on my 21 with the base system. Used Skar audio all around and made a huge difference. No issues with clearance. Was going to put in a sub under the rear seat but decided to upgrade stock setup first. Don't know if I'm going to need the sub upgrade now.

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
Nice! Where did you get them for that price?
Directly through their website. I thought it was just a special for August, but it looks like they are still going for that price.

Anyone know for sure if these are a straight swap (@ 2 ohm) for the "base" sound package With ANC?
I would recommend sticking to a 4 ohm speaker when replacing any of the speakers in the base 6-speaker system. Running a 2 ohm could possibly fry your head unit, as it's probably not rated for that low of an impedance.

Another issue I see with using these for the base system - the front 6x9's in the Alpine system receive bass/mid-bass frequencies only. The front 6x9's in the base system receive a full-range signal, so you would lose mids/highs if you used this model.

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I checked my truck that doesn't have the Alpine system and I have the same blue speakers you do. Does the base system use the same speakers as the Alpine just minus the amp?

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Directly through their website. I thought it was just a special for August, but it looks like they are still going for that price.

I would recommend sticking to a 4 ohm speaker when replacing any of the speakers in the base 6-speaker system. Running a 2 ohm could possibly fry your head unit, as it's probably not rated for that low of an impedance.

Another issue I see with using these for the base system - the front 6x9's in the Alpine system receive bass/mid-bass frequencies only. The front 6x9's in the base system receive a full-range signal, so you would lose mids/highs if you used this model.
The base system still uses 2 ohm door speakers (in fact they are exactly the same part number), but 8 ohm dash speakers. The front doors are only supposed to be mid/bass like the Alpine. I don't know exactly how they're crossed over, but I have the same 3-way Infinity 6x9s in the front and rear doors (since I had them left over from my previous car) and the front door highs are noticeably muted compared to the rear.

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
The base system still uses 2 ohm door speakers (in fact they are exactly the same part number), but 8 ohm dash speakers. The front doors are only supposed to be mid/bass like the Alpine. I don't know exactly how they're crossed over, but I have the same 3-way Infinity 6x9s in the front and rear doors (since I had them left over from my previous car) and the front door highs are noticeably muted compared to the rear.

Good looking out! I stand corrected. I was figuring that based off my previous RAM (‘13 with base 6 speaker system) so they must’ve reconfigured with the 5th gen. That’s wild that the base and Alpine use the same part # for the 6x9’s.

Fulanito47

Reaction score
I just did the swap on my 21 with the base system. Used Skar audio all around and made a huge difference. No issues with clearance. Was going to put in a sub under the rear seat but decided to upgrade stock setup first. Don't know if I'm going to need the sub upgrade now.
Nice. I'm not a RAM owner but my buddy has a 21 Lonestar with the premium sound, i'll be doing his full audio system installation. I got on here to look up some information. I ordered all SkarAudio for his truck as well, glad to see someone post about the SkarAudio all around. Are you using the stock amp for the 6x9s? I'm adding the 4 channel SkarAudio amp for his truck along with subs and a monoblock amp.

Kone

Reaction score
I did the two dash speakers (in my base system) and am thinking about doing the two front doors (only) yet but tbh it sounds pretty good now and based on opinions from others who've done the same I wonder if there'd be a noticeable enough improvement for the $ and time.

ravenger

Reaction score
Hmmm. I upgraded the 3.5 dash speakers and they sound great. Actually overpowered the door speakers so I upgraded the front door speakers to some infinity primus 6x9s through Crutchfield and they actually sound worse. Hardly any bass coming out of them. Any advice?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just ordered them. Thanks for the link

Kone

Reaction score
What model Skar 6x9 have y'all used in the doors? I'm not seeing any that match base system ohms @ 2. Thanks

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that, I’m ordering now. I do have a couple questions:
1. Do you think you’ll need to do the rear doors also?
2. Do you remember the part numbers for the infinity 3.5’s in the dash?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did you have a sound problem before changing the speakers? In other words, the audio wouldn’t get any louder above ~half volume, it just gets distorted. I am experiencing this with car play. Wondering if a speaker swap would help.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you have a sound problem before changing the speakers? In other words, the audio wouldn’t get any louder above ~half volume, it just gets distorted. I am experiencing this with car play. Wondering if a speaker swap would help.
Have you tried a different cable, and do you have a different phone to test with? It sounds like you have a different issue. The reason people are doing speaker swaps is mainly because they’re displeased with the richness of the sound. There’s no actual problems.

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that, I’m ordering now. I do have a couple questions:
1. Do you think you’ll need to do the rear doors also?
2. Do you remember the part numbers for the infinity 3.5’s in the dash?

1. For the rear door speakers, I used Alpine SPR-69’s that I had used in the front doors of my ‘13. I wouldn’t recommend these CDT’s for the rears in the Alpine system since they receive a fuller frequency signal, not just bass/mid-bass like the front doors.

2. The part # for the dash speakers is Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx. I actually bought all 3 from a fellow member of this forum (for one helluva good price).

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
1. For the rear door speakers, I used Alpine SPR-69’s that I had used in the front doors of my ‘13. I wouldn’t recommend these CDT’s for the rears in the Alpine system since they receive a fuller frequency signal, not just bass/mid-bass like the front doors.

2. The part # for the dash speakers is Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx. I actually bought all 3 from a fellow member of this forum (for one helluva good price).
Oh, that makes sense. Thanks!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The infinity’s look like they’re 3ohm. Have you had a problem with needing to turn the volume higher to get the same level of sound as before the swap?

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
The infinity’s look like they’re 3ohm. Have you had a problem with needing to turn the volume higher to get the same level of sound as before the swap?

I noticed maybe one or two volume notches difference initially after the swap, so yes but very minimal. No need to worry about loudness with the Infinity’s.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed maybe one or two volume notches difference initially after the swap, so yes but very minimal. No need to worry about loudness with the Infinity’s.
Awesome, thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread