5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front bench seat question?

Socks

Reaction score
I am trying to decide between a bench and bucket seat options. I've had sporty cars my whole life and really want space now that I'm in my 30's. I really need to get to a dealer and sit in a few different models but I'm offshore for a few more weeks.

Does anyone know if the jump seat (middle seat) up front reclines at all? If not, is it in a decently reclined position to begin with. I've rented a couple trucks over the last 6 months or so. I enjoy the bench seat but when the drivers or passengers seat is even slightly reclined and the jump seat is in up position, it be comes intrusive in your shoulders as it doesn't recline at all and typically feels like a 90 degree angle. Hoping ram did something to make this more comfortable when in use.

Sorry for the long post / back story.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an FYI I have had ram's with bench and bucket seats. I love the bucket seat much more and I feel its more luxurious with the bucket seat

alow

Reaction score
I believe the jump seat is straight up and down but I'll check. It wouldnt be bad for what its intended. I dont think I'd want to be there for a cross country trip but cross town it would do.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve got the bench seat...a requirement for the way I use the truck. First, I like that it provides more leg room. My knees don’t touch the center consol, which I personally feel is more comfortable. Do not equate these bench seats to those in the tradesman model or older pickups. The power seats adjust beautifully. The center does not recline, but is really comfortable and at a good position, IMO. When not in use, I keep the center down. Lots of storage and much better cup holders than the Gen 4.

Attachments

• EC4FB3E1-99A2-4052-9F6A-561B6C057B69.jpeg
    EC4FB3E1-99A2-4052-9F6A-561B6C057B69.jpeg
    698.9 KB · Views: 285

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
I have the bench seat - initially really liked the new console, but to me in made the cabin feel smaller. I keep the center flipped down 99% of the time, it makes a comfortable armrest and while you don't get the cavernous storage space of the console it does have a lot - there's a compartment in the top, another one below the bottom seat cushion, a small storage tray on the floor in front of the center seat, and a good sized pull-out storage drawer at the bottom of the dash in the center. The seats are the same seats whether you get the console or the center bench, when the center seat back is up it is pretty much in line with the drivers and passenger seat backs. The floor in the center is pretty high, I wouldn't want to ride anyone in the center front seat for very long but it would work in a pinch, or for a child.

This is a Lonestar with the light mountain brown & black interior. I just got Weathertech floor liners in tan, they are almost the same color as the dash and door trim and blend in well.

Rambo interior 1.JPG

Socks

Reaction score
This was super informative. Thank you for your thoughts and including images. It would be nice when I visit the family out of state to be able to get everyone in one vehicle. Three adults and three kids. Will probably have to stagger them. 2 adults and youngest kid in front and 1 adult and 2 kids in back. My buddy has a f150 with bucket seats and sometimes but 4 in the back. I dont feel comfortable doing that.

I really want to see a laramie (black interior) and big horn (diesel interior) in person with the bench. Seems like a lot on the forum have the buckets. I dont think they sell the lone star in Cali but I love the name.

Agitated

Reaction score
I wouldnttrade my bench for anything. The jump seat back isnt straight up and down but it isnt a gangsta lean either. Not sure why you would want it to recline anyway. 3 three hundred pound men in the front wont want to be like that long but a child or smaller adult can ride that way in the middle for hours if needed. It is one of, if not the most, comfortable jump seats Ive ever sat in.

Socks

Reaction score
No one super big. I personally am the largest in the family. 5'8" 180lbs, the rest are all smaller girls (sister, nieces, mom, girlfriend) but itll mostly just be me the girlfriend and the 85 lbs dog in the back, which is one huge reason I am happy about flat rear floor and back ac vents.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I will add that the center bench position (which I ordered as well) has little storage cups on the floor that you must step on top of if your feet are bigger than about size 6... here’s my query about removing the plastic storage piece, and the answer that it will leave a gaping hole in the floor. Someday I may try to figure out a flatter cover for that area...

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...he-center-tray-by-bench-seat.1292/#post-17821

Socks

Reaction score
I will add that the center bench position (which I ordered as well) has little storage cups on the floor that you must step on top of if your feet are bigger than about size 6... here’s my query about removing the plastic storage piece, and the answer that it will leave a gaping hole in the floor. Someday I may try to figure out a flatter cover for that area...

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...he-center-tray-by-bench-seat.1292/#post-17821

That seems so annoying. I hope someone finds a fix for that prior to my final purchase decision. Biggest upset so far is no laramie sport with bench. As long as I can get that sport hood afterwards then all is well.

alow

Reaction score
I tried the bench just stationary and its not bad. Not straight up and down but not too much lean. I'm 6'2 or so and felt like I was about to pop out of the sunroof but it wasnt uncomfortable. If I had to ride there it wouldnt end me, I think a kid would do fine and adult will likely be whinging after a bit. Also just a note the bench seats arent couch like. They feel like a bucket but theres more leg room. I'm coming from a console on a Silverado and no regrets currently.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have bench seat in my Laramie and love it. In addition to what's been mentioned, I like the fact that my CD player is under the center seat with space to store additional cd`s.

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
I have bench seat in my Laramie and love it. In addition to what's been mentioned, I like the fact that my CD player is under the center seat with space to store additional cd`s.

I doubt I'll ever use the CD player - thought I would before we got the truck, but then I just copied all my CD's onto a thumb drive and leave it plugged into one of the USB ports, much more convenient.

banditsc

Reaction score
The only annoyance I found, which seems odd. The USB outlet in the console which appears to be the most convenient to plug into since they give you a place to put your phone and way to route the wire, is only standard USB, not a USB-C port. I ended up just running the cable from the USB-C outlet in the rear into the console.

Socks

Reaction score
The only annoyance I found, which seems odd. The USB outlet in the console which appears to be the most convenient to plug into since they give you a place to put your phone and way to route the wire, is only standard USB, not a USB-C port. I ended up just running the cable from the USB-C outlet in the rear into the console.
This usb information is good to know. Thank you for the heads up

Socks

Reaction score
I may be forced to get a bucket seat, as I want the Laramie Sport but if for some reason or another I end up with a Big Horn... I'm definitely going bucket. Only 13 more days until I get on land and can see them in person. Definitely not buying until rambox are out on the lots.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I may be forced to get a bucket seat, as I want the Laramie Sport but if for some reason or another I end up with a Big Horn... I'm definitely going bucket. Only 13 more days until I get on land and can see them in person. Definitely not buying until rambox are out on the lots.
Good luck with your Ram search. The RamBox is slowly making the dealer lots, so you should be able to see one in person. As long as you can live with the center console, it provides some nice amenities, such as the RamCharger. For those of us who want or need the bench, the Laramie can be optioned out for max luxury while retaining the function of the bench. I am surprised it is not available across the board and with options such as the Laramie Sport, which, I must say, is a great looking package.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I am debating between the bench seat or bucket seat also on the Laramie trim. Honestly I cannot see the advantages to bucket seats. Is the advantage simply to have some deep and nifty storage in the center console? There is still storage on the bench via fold down armrest with the cup holders and additional storage under the middle seat which appears sufficient for me.
Aside from the storage, I guess I would lose out on the nifty cell phone holder and wireless charging pad. I can live without that probably.
Are there any other features that are lost with the bench seat? Update - No
Does the memory seat functionality remain with the bench seat so that my wife and I can push one button for our seat/pedal/mirror adjustments? Update - memory seat functionality remains
I like the open feeling of the bench seat how it does not seem as confined as well as the other obvious advantages to having the third seat. Just wondering what I would lose with not having the bucket seats w/console.

Last edited:

alow

Reaction score
I had buckets in my last truck and went to the bench on my Ram. I like the extra room for my legs and if you want center storage you still get a ton of storage. There's storage in the front middle/armrest, under the seat and a slide out center console. I actually prefer less storage space as I cleaned a ton of crap out of my center console when I had buckets. Try both but for me it's bench all the way.

JV77

Reaction score
I am debating between the bench seat or bucket seat also on the Laramie trim. Honestly I cannot see the advantages to bucket seats. Is the advantage simply to have some deep and nifty storage in the center console? Theer is still is storage on the bench via fold down armrest with the cup holders and additional storage under the middle seat which appears sufficient for me.
Aside from the storage, I guess I would lose out on the nifty cell phone holder and wireless charging pad. I can live without that probably.
Are there any other features that are lost with the bench seat?
Does the memory seat functionality remain with the bench seat so that my wife and I can push one button for our seat/pedal/mirror adjustments?
I like the open feeling of the bench seat how it does not seem as confined as well as the other obvious advantages to having the third seat. Just wondering what I would lose with not having the bucket seats w/console.
When I started looking at these trucks I was set on a Laramie sport as I really wanted that exterior, but circumstances required I get a truck with the front bench. At first this was discouraging, but then I sat in a truck with the bench seat. I was surprised that I actually found it more comfortable in the drivers seat with the jump seat folded down than the console version of the truck. I do agree that you lose the cavernous storage of the center console, but the three storage locations in the bench config are plenty for me. I have grown to really like the open floor between the front seats for both leg room and generally a bigger feeling cab. You do lose the wireless charger as you noted, but for me this was a non-issue as I use CarPlay 100% of the time I am in this truck and it requires the phone be plugged in. In my opinion, the only real loss with the bench is the fact that you lose the ability to have sport or black appearance packages. I would be much happier without all the chrome on the outside. Since I spend all my time in the truck, and I can't see the chrome from the drivers seat, I am ok with it. The memory functions of the drivers seat/pedals/mirrors works perfectly (my truck has the level 2 equipment, so not sure if that is needed or not). One other consideration, which may or may not apply to you, is the fact that if you want a lockable console vault, the full console is required from what I have seen. There are at least a couple aftermarket options for the full console, but my research has turned up zero for the bench seat config in the 19's. I am hoping someone will release a lockable vault for either the under seat position or in the fold down center seat storage. If anyone knows of one that I have missed, I would love a link.

Users who are viewing this thread