5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

From Canada with(out) Love

JordyKass

Reaction score
Just bought a black Ram 1500 Limited with Ramboxes--it's an incredible truck and a huge upgrade from my 2016 GMC Sierra Denali. Ride quality and technology and fit and finish are light years ahead of the GMC. I am now looking at adding toneau cover and can't decide between the Mopar unit or the Low Pro. Sounds like the the Mopar unit sticks above the bed frame by 1.5" which is kind of unsightly so will probably end up with the Low Pro.

I bought the truck from a dealer in Salt Lake City and had it shipped to CA. It arrived with some issues, some of which the dealer agreed to pay for and some they did not. So I took the truck in for some warranty work only to find that it has no warranty in the US because it was originally sold in Canada. I have been dealing with FCA to see about getting the warranty transferred but they have denied my request so far. The truck was sold to me with a broken headlight, it has 26k miles so the warranty should still be intact but I am told many times over that in order to have any warranty work done I have to take the truck to Canada... Not quite a pleasant sounding road trip coming from Sacramento. I will continue to pursue the warranty transfer with FCA. This is a unique situation and I really feel like I've been defrauded here by buying a truck that should have a warranty but doesn't. If anybody has any experience or sage advice, I'm all ears!

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just bought a black Ram 1500 Limited with Ramboxes--it's an incredible truck and a huge upgrade from my 2016 GMC Sierra Denali. Ride quality and technology and fit and finish are light years ahead of the GMC. I am now looking at adding toneau cover and can't decide between the Mopar unit or the Low Pro. Sounds like the the Mopar unit sticks above the bed frame by 1.5" which is kind of unsightly so will probably end up with the Low Pro.

I bought the truck from a dealer in Salt Lake City and had it shipped to CA. It arrived with some issues, some of which the dealer agreed to pay for and some they did not. So I took the truck in for some warranty work only to find that it has no warranty in the US because it was originally sold in Canada. I have been dealing with FCA to see about getting the warranty transferred but they have denied my request so far. The truck was sold to me with a broken headlight, it has 26k miles so the warranty should still be intact but I am told many times over that in order to have any warranty work done I have to take the truck to Canada... Not quite a pleasant sounding road trip coming from Sacramento. I will continue to pursue the warranty transfer with FCA. This is a unique situation and I really feel like I've been defrauded here by buying a truck that should have a warranty but doesn't. If anybody has any experience or sage advice, I'm all ears!

Been there done that brother! My last truck was a 2017 Sport bought in July 2019 with 17,000 miles. A real beauty. Unfortunately I didn’t do my homework and around two months after I bought it I realized that the factory warranty would not be honored as it was a Canadian-sold truck which was later exported to the US and sold as a used vehicle. The first clue was that the owners manual was in French. FCA was absolutely relentless and would not budge - it’s a hard and straight rule that FCA will not honor a factory warranty on a vehicle sold as new in Canada and then exported to the US. So I sold it after a few months and bought my new 2019 Bighorn.

Good luck but I’m almost 100% sure they will not budge. Keep us posted.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes unfortunately you won't get warrantied. We have the same issue, only the other way around. There are some nice prices down in the USA but bringing it up to Canada means no warranty for us.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Welcome and sorry bout' that fine print crapola...
I shipped down my last Ferd from BC and didn't have any issues with its extended warranty 1 time service question, but then it never needed actual work. (Just a $400 changeover of the instrument cluster from kph to mph...).

JordyKass

Reaction score
Welcome and sorry bout' that fine print crapola...
I shipped down my last Ferd from BC and didn't have any issues with its extended warranty 1 time service question, but then it never needed actual work. (Just a $400 changeover of the instrument cluster from kph to mph...).
Man that's really sad Ford will honor the warranty for a truck sold in Canada but not FCA>... Not like they build them any differently in the Canadian market than they do here in the states. Looks like my only option at this point is to pay out of pocket or take the truck to Canada for warranty work? The DRL is out on the driver's side, requires a new headlight... $1040 for the part alone. Looks like I'm the sucker :rolleyes:

JordyKass

Reaction score
Yes unfortunately you won't get warrantied. We have the same issue, only the other way around. There are some nice prices down in the USA but bringing it up to Canada means no warranty for us.
I think dealers are making money somehow paying in our formidable US dollar to buy trucks in Canada and import them... Some sort of foreign currency arbitrage. Maybe i can trade find someone in Canda who has an American made truck that would be willing to trade with me...

Dont everyone raise your hands at once!

silver billet

Reaction score
You can try call the Canadian dealer, maybe they'll ship you a new one?

JordyKass

Reaction score
You can try call the Canadian dealer, maybe they'll ship you a new one?
I bought it from a dealer in Salt Lake, they bought it from someone in Canada... Either way it makes no difference because once the truck is originally sold in Canada it is not warrantied in the US. It sounds like the inverse is also true.

Burnzie

Reaction score

I have the Mopar tonneau cover, no its not flush with the box sides, but it doesn't stick above them an inch and a half.

Burnzie

Reaction score
Just went to the garage (-2 F) outside mind you, and you are correct inch and a half, but it doesn't look like it though.

JordyKass

Reaction score
Just went to the garage (-2 F) outside mind you, and you are correct inch and a half, but it doesn't look like it though.
Nice, thanks for checking... How do you like the Mopar roll up? I've been debating that or the Truxedo Low Pro but since finding out the Mopar is 1.5" have been leaning toward Lowpro...

Burnzie

Reaction score
Nice, thanks for checking... How do you like the Mopar roll up? I've been debating that or the Truxedo Low Pro but since finding out the Mopar is 1.5" have been leaning toward Lowpro...
I like it. I had a Truxedo on my 09 Ram and it was good also.

NoCrow

Reaction score

Hey a fellow sacramento dweller. That sucks about the warranty I got my truck used a well and had to fly all the way to Palm Springs to get it used at a hyundai dealership lol.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome! Sorry to hear the Canada/US cluster. Nice truck otherwise. I really like my truxedo cover. It’s been great so far on the two trucks I have had it on.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of for a simple fix is to find a friend with the headlight you need and see if they'll trade you. Then they can deal with warranty on it for their truck. This obviously won't work for you on larger issues.

Have you tried calling the dealer you bought it from and explained the situation.? Will they warranty it themselves? Did they disclose that it was from Canada and that there's no warranty? If you have any documentation stating that the warranty is "AS-IS", but then they state the remainder of the factory warranty still exists, they might have to pay for repairs.

JordyKass

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of for a simple fix is to find a friend with the headlight you need and see if they'll trade you. Then they can deal with warranty on it for their truck. This obviously won't work for you on larger issues.

Have you tried calling the dealer you bought it from and explained the situation.? Will they warranty it themselves? Did they disclose that it was from Canada and that there's no warranty? If you have any documentation stating that the warranty is "AS-IS", but then they state the remainder of the factory warranty still exists, they might have to pay for repairs.
Solid ideas man, both of them. I reached out to the dealer I bought the truck from and they've agreed to cover the headlight cost since it arrived broken. They gave me a 45 day warranty from the dealership but it only covers 'drivetrain' issues. Even though it's an inconvenience to take the truck in to get it fixed, I thought it was honorable for the dealership to agree to pay for the repair.

Not sure what to do on future issues though... I'm pretty upset that FCA won't honor the warranty in the States. I only have 26k miles. Funny thing is all the logos on the truck say FCA US LLC.... So it's not like it was built in a different country or using different materials. Final assembly takes place in the states then gets shipped to Canada, so I'm have trouble understanding why this truck can't be warrantied here. It's got a rough downshifting issue and lunging at takeoff from a stop, I think would be addressed with a TCM update but I don't want to have to pay for that. Hey @RamCares do you think you could step in here to help?

midwestpilot

Reaction score
Solid ideas man, both of them. I reached out to the dealer I bought the truck from and they've agreed to cover the headlight cost since it arrived broken. They gave me a 45 day warranty from the dealership but it only covers 'drivetrain' issues. Even though it's an inconvenience to take the truck in to get it fixed, I thought it was honorable for the dealership to agree to pay for the repair.

Not sure what to do on future issues though... I'm pretty upset that FCA won't honor the warranty in the States. I only have 26k miles. Funny thing is all the logos on the truck say FCA US LLC.... So it's not like it was built in a different country or using different materials. Final assembly takes place in the states then gets shipped to Canada, so I'm have trouble understanding why this truck can't be warrantied here. It's got a rough downshifting issue and lunging at takeoff from a stop, I think would be addressed with a TCM update but I don't want to have to pay for that. Hey @RamCares do you think you could step in here to help?
They literally will not honor it, and you may have issues getting stuff addressed in the future. Check my post history. Looks like these Canadian imports are picking up recently. You may not even be able to get your TCM updated in the states because the software is Canadian and the dealers don’t interface with that. I currently have complaints in with my dealer with the FTC, attorney General and BBB to resolve it, and may take legal action. It was fully misrepresented to me.

Users who are viewing this thread