5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox Coilover Lift Kit

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
oh damn thats significant vs mine which is suppose to be 2" on the bilsteins. I'm at 23.5
I've noticed some Rebels can vary 1/2-3/4" even with the same options. Also the Bilsteins I've installed on Rebels and ORP trucks at what should be the 2" setting are averaging 1.5-1.6" of lift. But, in fairness most of these trucks have been loaded out with options.

Roaminglost

Reaction score
I've noticed some Rebels can vary 1/2-3/4" even with the same options. Also the Bilsteins I've installed on Rebels and ORP trucks at what should be the 2" setting are averaging 1.5-1.6" of lift. But, in fairness most of these trucks have been loaded out with options.
yeah im curious to see what happens when i switch. i also have the ecodiesel so not sure the weight difference

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
yeah im curious to see what happens when i switch. i also have the ecodiesel so not sure the weight difference
That could be it. I have yet to work on an Eco. Any extra front weight will need to be compensated in the coilover adjustment.
Oh, also you can adjust for driver to passenger side variance.

Roaminglost

Reaction score
That could be it. I have yet to work on an Eco. Any extra front weight will need to be compensated in the coilover adjustment.
Oh, also you can adjust for driver to passenger side variance.
yeah the bilsteins you cant do that but ill have to dive into it more on the foxs

Boost Monkey

Reaction score
There are still threads to go further down on the shock body. I was given data from FOX that to go further down the body and provide more lift I would need a different spring which they do not have yet. I'm not too worried about going any higher though as I don't want to limit the life of the CV axles anymore than I already am.

One thing to note is once you get to the point of compressing the spring enough to adjust the locking collar for 3" of lift the spring is touching the discs on a commercial grade spring compressor. So, what am getting at is if you do set the FOX coilovers at 3" of lift you have just enough spring gap that when the coilover is at full compression the spring almost becomes solid. Anymore adjustment and you'll hear clatter from the spring clapping it's coils while offroading.

FOX really cheaped out with just the one locking collar. If I had to guess too many people adjusted them incorrectly on their vehicle causing damage to the threads on the shock body (There is a proper way if you have both collars). The way it is set up by FOX now you need to remove the coilovers to adjust them or compress the springs on the truck and adjust the collar. I've seen some sketchy videos of people backing out the lock screw 1 turn and beating the collar around to compress the spring. The collar is rather soft metal and so is the shock body. I'd rather not destroy something this expensive.

So... Yeah man... I'm not gonna lie the more I look at this setup the more I really think this is a crap design as far as the adjustment collar/ring goes (and locking the collar/ring as well). So, the ring only has the one tightening screw, correct? If I were to completely remove the tightening screw, would that free the ring from the shock body threads to where you could just freely remove it?

I've see Eibach truck coils with only a single adjustment ring, but there's no tightening screw just a plate above the ring so that the spring doesn't rotate the ring... If that makes sense. At least in that setup the adjustment ring is a solid 1-piece design. Thread up or down, but won't come off. This is ok -- Unless you're zero preload at full droop.

You could definitely adjust these on-truck but yeah man I'm with you... Not sure I'd touch that given the nature of this particular ring construction as it appears to be 'split'. If that locking screw can go out far enough that you could slide the ring off over the body threads (or even close to that point, for that matter) or remove it completely, then this is a s**t design.

I don't get it... What is it with truck coilovers? Almost every coilover made for Hipo cars has dual rings -- Adjustment and locking. Seems to be few and far between in the truck world.

Jeansebplante

Reaction score
I just ordered my Fox setup, should be here in 2-3 weeks. What tire size are you guys all running?

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I just ordered my Fox setup, should be here in 2-3 weeks. What tire size are you guys all running?
I'm running 35 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 20x10 wheels with a -18 offset. The offset will determine how much modifying to the back of the front fenders.

There is a small tab behind the front fender spat. From the factory the tab has a hole in it where a plastic push pin holds the spat to it. I just bent it up and drilled a new hole the same size as the factory one. This pulled the spat back far enough to clear the tires for on and off road driving. Some people cut it off. But, that's not necessary and eliminates a mounting hole.

Jeansebplante

Reaction score
I will be running 20x10, -18 offset.

do you have any pictures? Thanks again!

TML_REBEL

Reaction score
I got my rear's installed. Still waiting on the fronts from 4wheelparts. :(

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
May i ask how many exposed threads you have to achieve the 3”? Thanks so much.
It will vary per truck depending on how it is optioned out. Also your driver side to passenger side may or may not have a slope. The instructions that come with the coilovers and on Fox's site give you a starting point.

My_first_RAM

Reaction score
I have been searching on the Fox site and I cannot find the section on how you determine that you are at 3”. Do you just measure the visible threads on the top of the coil? I’m getting these installed Friday and the shop has installed plenty of coils, but not necessarily ones that cannot be adjusted on the truck. If anyone has the fox link, I would be grateful. I have the install instructions but it doesn’t exactly cover how to achieve the 3” of lift.

Users who are viewing this thread