5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox Coilover Lift Kit

My_first_RAM

Reaction score
Here’s mine in the box. There are 1” of visible threads on the top of the ring and 2” below the ring

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 112

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I have been searching on the Fox site and I cannot find the section on how you determine that you are at 3”. Do you just measure the visible threads on the top of the coil? I’m getting these installed Friday and the shop has installed plenty of coils, but not necessarily ones that cannot be adjusted on the truck. If anyone has the fox link, I would be grateful. I have the install instructions but it doesn’t exactly cover how to achieve the 3” of lift.
Page 2 under Installation Guidelines-

"If a preload adjustment is necessary for your application DO NOT adjust preload with the coil-over on the
vehicle. Remove the coil-over from the vehicle and use a spring compressor to remove the spring hardware
and spring. Once the spring is removed, you can adjust the preload ring. DO NOT Exceed more the 1/2" of
additional preload. If more than 1/2" of preload is required, you will need to go up in spring rate or get
a longer spring that fits the application."

This will add the extra 1" of lift you may need, if you go much more than that you will have spring chatter off-road or any big dips on road. Fox does not currently have any other springs for these coilovers other than the model that comes with it.

My_first_RAM

Reaction score
Page 2 under Installation Guidelines-

If a preload adjustment is necessary for your application DO NOT adjust preload with the coil-over on the
vehicle. Remove the coil-over from the vehicle and use a spring compressor to remove the spring hardware
and spring. Once the spring is removed, you can adjust the preload ring. DO NOT Exceed more the 1/2" of
additional preload. If more than 1/2" of preload is required, you will need to go up in spring rate or get
a longer spring that fits the application.
RebelWrath, you are always helpful and I do appreciate it. I am a noob with coilovers so I am getting confused on the “preload “. They are set to 2” now and I want them set at 3”. In order to achieve 3”, do you simply compress the spring and use the fox tool to twist the collar to the desired location? Can you send a pic of the top of your coil? Like I said, from the factory I have 1” of threads showing above the collar and 2” of threads below. Do you simply adjust the collar down 1/2” of threads to achieve 3” of lift?

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
RebelWrath, you are always helpful and I do appreciate it. I am a noob with coilovers so I am getting confused on the “preload “. They are set to 2” now and I want them set at 3”. In order to achieve 3”, do you simply compress the spring and use the fox tool to twist the collar to the desired location? Can you send a pic of the top of your coil? Like I said, from the factory I have 1” of threads showing above the collar and 2” of threads below. Do you simply adjust the collar down 1/2” of threads to achieve 3” of lift?
Man, don't even worry. What Fox explained is with the coil rating that comes with the kit we have every 1/2" of preload makes 1" of lift. So, you're 1" of threads showing on top is what is giving the 2" of lift from the Fox factory. That's the preload. So, if you want 3" of lift you need 1.5" of thread showing on top.

If your truck is on the lighter side you may get a touch more, alternatively if you have a heavy truck like me you may have to go up one more thread. I had to do one extra thread on the passenger side and 1.5 extra threads on the driver side to make it perfectly level.

Oh, and yes compress the spring untill there is no tension on the retainer, then loosen the lock screw on the retainer, and rotate to your 1.5" of space from the top. Tighten the lock screw back up and decompress the spring. Install and start playing with the DSC adjusters untill you have the ride you like.

Attachments

• PXL_20210107_144630102.jpg
    PXL_20210107_144630102.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 92

My_first_RAM

Reaction score
Man, don't even worry. What Fox explained is with the coil rating that comes with the kit we have every 1/2" of preload makes 1" of lift. So, you're 1" of threads showing on top is what is giving the 2" of lift from the Fox factory. That's the preload. So, if you want 3" of lift you need 1.5" of thread showing on top.

If your truck is on the lighter side you may get a touch more, alternatively if you have a heavy truck like me you may have to go up one more thread. I had to do one extra thread on the passenger side and 1.5 extra threads on the driver side to make it perfectly level.

Oh, and yes compress the spring untill there is no tension on the retainer, then loosen the lock screw on the retainer, and rotate to your 1.5" of space from the top. Tighten the lock screw back up and decompress the spring. Install and start playing with the DSC adjusters untill you have the ride you like.
Many thanks!!!

Nsm42

Reaction score
Thank you for all the good information in this thread. Are there any modifications needed to the rear wheel well liners to accommodate the reservoirs?

Nsm42

Reaction score
So I dropped off my new coilovers at the shop to install yesterday when I get the “we’ve got a problem” text. Looks like the top hats on both of my shocks don’t have any bolts pressed in nor are they threaded. This isn’t normal, right?

Attachments

• 05E8BD90-9458-4547-A164-318866DAFB0C.jpeg
    05E8BD90-9458-4547-A164-318866DAFB0C.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 64
  • B8395DDD-D5AA-43D3-8081-4B3AB787DC7D.jpeg
    B8395DDD-D5AA-43D3-8081-4B3AB787DC7D.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 64
  • C3F0ACD7-CF6B-4D5A-8273-AD697E5223CE.jpeg
    C3F0ACD7-CF6B-4D5A-8273-AD697E5223CE.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 64

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
So I dropped off my new coilovers at the shop to install yesterday when I get the “we’ve got a problem” text. Looks like the top hats on both of my shocks don’t have any bolts pressed in nor are they threaded. This isn’t normal, right?
Where is the hardware? The bolts pass through from the bottom. Did they come with hardware from Fox?

Here is what the COs look like with the hardware installed:
rep-883-06-166_fox-truck-performance-elite-coil-over-shock-pr.jpg

Nsm42

Reaction score
Where is the hardware? The bolts pass through from the bottom. If they have the hardware still in the bag pick up your coilovers and go elsewhere.

Here is what the COs look like with the hardware installed:
View attachment 90713
There were no bolts included. The hardware bag only had the reservoir mounts as this photo shows. Shouldn’t the top hat bolts be pre installed from the factory?

Attachments

• FA3C3C89-4939-4D7B-B5B2-08D7C5D91495.jpeg
    FA3C3C89-4939-4D7B-B5B2-08D7C5D91495.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 30

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
There were no bolts included. The hardware bag only had the reservoir mounts as this photo shows. Shouldn’t the top hat bolts be pre installed from the factory?
Should be or at least included. I'd call up Fox and see what the deal is. My kit came with the hardware.

My_first_RAM

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed squeaking when going over bumps with the fox 2.5 coils? I honestly think that they might have tightened my UCAs a little much and that is causing the squeak. I would be pretty disappointed if it was coming from the coils. There’s a slight noise in the rear but hoping that is more from the daystar top spacer and spring rather than the reservoirs.
Any similar experiences are appreciated. Thanks.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed squeaking when going over bumps with the fox 2.5 coils? I honestly think that they might have tightened my UCAs a little much and that is causing the squeak. I would be pretty disappointed if it was coming from the coils. There’s a slight noise in the rear but hoping that is more from the daystar top spacer and spring rather than the reservoirs.
Any similar experiences are appreciated. Thanks.
Coilovers and rear shocks on mine are silent and I have the same Daystar spacers in the rear. Only difference between our setups is I have different UCAs.
I followed all of Rams torque specs though. That may be the issue you are having. The shop probably just hit your stuff with air tools which usually go overboard. Check the ball joints for grease too. Also you generally put a light amount of grease on the control arm bushings and shock bushings which keeps them from making noise. If the Readylift UCAs use polyurethane bushings instead of rubber they will make more noise as well.

My_first_RAM

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I had my dealer do all the work and they are truck guys. Great team over there. They did some work on my JKU as well. I’ll take it over there and throw it on the lift and have them go over everything.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I had my dealer do all the work and they are truck guys. Great team over there. They did some work on my JKU as well. I’ll take it over there and throw it on the lift and have them go over everything.
Anti-Sway bar links maybe?

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Odd question, do you think you can run the retainer all the way to the top? or what if I only wanted say a half inch to an inch of lift, do you think it's possible with these coilovers?

I have crazy ideas going through my head and I want to install coilovers for ride comfort, but don't care about getting the huge lift at all.

Users who are viewing this thread