5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox 2.5 dsc/King vs Fox 2.0

Reaction score
i have been going back and forth on what route i want to go with my suspension, and want some opinions. i was originally planning on going with the King or Fox 2.5 DSC, but am starting to lean toward a more basic Fox 2.0 setup for a couple reasons. i know that the remote reservoir setups are overkill for about 80% of the driving i do, but i like to overbuild. but now that im about to order, im starting to rethink this, especially considering the fact that i put 20-25k miles on this truck a year, and would end up having to rebuild basically every year, and dont have a 2nd vehicle for while the truck is down. so im starting to lean more toward the Fox 2.0 front coil, and either the ORP rear springs or another aftermarket option with the fox 2.0 rears as well. what have others that were having the same debate done? id really like th do the BDS 4", but my 18" wheels will not work with it and im not willing to buy new wheels

im currently running a 3" front, 2" rear level with stock shocks and the newer version of the readylift uppers. the truck is a 2020 Bighorn Hemi 4x4

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are not a big offroader there isn't much point to the 2.5's unless you have money. The 2.0's will give you a great ride and youll be happy with them. However, there isnt a difference on rebuild frequency.

Reaction score
If you are not a big offroader there isn't much point to the 2.5's unless you have money. The 2.0's will give you a great ride and youll be happy with them. However, there isnt a difference on rebuild frequency.
The frequency may he the same, but since the price is so much lower I figured when the time comes I can pickup another set of shocks, rebuild the originals and then have a pair I can rotate. I love the idea of the 2.5s, im just not sure if I can justify the cost for my use

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The frequency may he the same, but since the price is so much lower I figured when the time comes I can pickup another set of shocks, rebuild the originals and then have a pair I can rotate. I love the idea of the 2.5s, im just not sure if I can justify the cost for my use
Gotta do wtcha gotta do. Looking forward to seeing it when you're done.

TheLegend

Reaction score
i have been going back and forth on what route i want to go with my suspension, and want some opinions. i was originally planning on going with the King or Fox 2.5 DSC, but am starting to lean toward a more basic Fox 2.0 setup for a couple reasons. i know that the remote reservoir setups are overkill for about 80% of the driving i do, but i like to overbuild. but now that im about to order, im starting to rethink this, especially considering the fact that i put 20-25k miles on this truck a year, and would end up having to rebuild basically every year, and dont have a 2nd vehicle for while the truck is down. so im starting to lean more toward the Fox 2.0 front coil, and either the ORP rear springs or another aftermarket option with the fox 2.0 rears as well. what have others that were having the same debate done? id really like th do the BDS 4", but my 18" wheels will not work with it and im not willing to buy new wheels

im currently running a 3" front, 2" rear level with stock shocks and the newer version of the readylift uppers. the truck is a 2020 Bighorn Hemi 4x4
Why wouldn’t the 18” wheels not work with the 4” BDS?

Reaction score
Why wouldn’t the 18” wheels not work with the 4” BDS?
On their website, it states that their lifts will not work with factory 18" wheels, and my aftermarket 18s are a bit tighter than the factory as is. If they would work, I would probably go that route. Unless there's someone near NE Illinois that has a BDS lift and wants to let me see if they actually work, im not willing to take the risk

TheLegend

Reaction score
On their website, it states that their lifts will not work with factory 18" wheels, and my aftermarket 18s are a bit tighter than the factory as is. If they would work, I would probably go that route. Unless there's someone near NE Illinois that has a BDS lift and wants to let me see if they actually work, im not willing to take the risk
On there website it says you can run an 18x9 with 5” back spacing on 35’s with not trimming or rubbing. What are your aftermarket wheels?

Attachments

• A9FB13D9-3E0B-4370-AF0E-9AB41DF83C98.png
    A9FB13D9-3E0B-4370-AF0E-9AB41DF83C98.png
    307.3 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
On there website it says you can run an 18x9 with 5” back spacing on 35’s with not trimming or rubbing. What are your aftermarket wheels?
I may have misread it, I will email them. Here what it says "due to steering interference"

I have 18x9 American racing AR201s with 0 offset. The barrel is tighter than factory, as I have to place the tape weight just perfect to keep them from grinding

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230604_034511_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230604_034511_Samsung Internet.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 32

TheLegend

Reaction score
I may have misread it, I will email them. Here what it says "due to steering interference"

I have 18x9 American racing AR201s with 0 offset. The barrel is tighter than factory, as I have to place the tape weight just perfect to keep them from grinding
I would email them for sure! They’d be able to tell you 100%

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score

fox 2.0" you might as well just go with throwaway shocks like bilstein 5100.
You don't need to rebuild that often if you don't abuse you shocks as much. If anything, turo or get a rental for a few days when they're being rebuilt. Rebuilding a set with proper tools should take no more than a day.

And it may be overkill for 80% of your driving, but that's the 20% of the driving that will make you regret your life choice. I went cheap with Bilstein 5100 for the first 3 years of my 4Runner ownership, when I did like 20% offroad. That 20% made me regret my choice so I went King.
Now on the Rebel I got Fox 2.5 DSC for... DSC. Also for shorter lead time than King at the time of order.

So pony up, just put the money down for a 2.5 (whether it's King or Fox) and do it properly.

antonioortega410

Reaction score
fox 2.0" you might as well just go with throwaway shocks like bilstein 5100.
You don't need to rebuild that often if you don't abuse you shocks as much. If anything, turo or get a rental for a few days when they're being rebuilt. Rebuilding a set with proper tools should take no more than a day.

And it may be overkill for 80% of your driving, but that's the 20% of the driving that will make you regret your life choice. I went cheap with Bilstein 5100 for the first 3 years of my 4Runner ownership, when I did like 20% offroad. That 20% made me regret my choice so I went King.
Now on the Rebel I got Fox 2.5 DSC for... DSC. Also for shorter lead time than King at the time of order.

So pony up, just put the money down for a 2.5 (whether it's King or Fox) and do it properly.
How do you like the fox 2.5 compared to stock for on road and off road?

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This question can only be answered by you, and only after you are completely honest with yourself about how much and what type of offroading you are genuinely likely to do.

I recently went through similar agony; while I like to get off the beaten path for hunting and sometimes camping, I am not a recreational off roader, and the reality is I did all those thing on many a stock suspension just fine over the years. My priorities were on-road improvements, with side benefits of some additional tire clearance. Any additional off-road improvements are just icing.

In my research the Fox 2.0's are rated for 50k rebuild intervals if you do mostly on-road driving. If you off road regularly it can be half that. And, Fox 2.0's do not a TRX make. They simply maintain a respectable ride while giving you some height.

So IMHO, if you have actual off roading requirements, you go directly to 2.5" resi shocks from the big boys - you do not pass go, you do not collect $200.

For anything else, you stick with the Bilstiens or the Eibachs. Seems the Bilstein 6112s could be a pretty good in between.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just so you know, I have no horse in this race and I don't care what you put on your truck. I'm just answering the question. Fox 2.5. There are the Fox 2.
5 racing shocks with DSC(Duel Speed Compression) adjustment, Long Travel with DSC, and Performance Elite with DSC. The DSC allows the most adjustment of compression on the market right now. I'm sure that will change in the future as it always does. But right now on the Fox 3.0 and 2.5(you can only get 2.5 for Rams) high and low speed compression adjustment is offered at more adjustability than any other shock on the market. You can make your truck float on any terrain while removing body roll at any speed. You get about 3" of lift on the non-long travel coil overs. But you have to use after market uca's. So, that's 4K in parts not including installation. Also, you have to make the adjustments. If you don't monkey with them you will never get them dialed. That seems a waste of 4K+ to me. If you run your truck hard off road then this should not be too much of an outlay of money. If it is then you just have to deal with the ride you have and get the Hell beat out of you and your rig.. You're not less of a dude if you do. I'm just laying out the facts. Kings are king for a reason. Icon and Bilstein are fine pieces of kit too.
Enjoy.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do you like the fox 2.5 compared to stock for on road and off road?
day and night difference.
i would say stock was at 7/10 on road and 5/10 off pavement with my driving style.
Fox 2.5 would be 10/10 on road and 8/10 off pavement.

For on road i don't feel anything (bump, dip, cracks, etc) and I can send it through those continuous horizontal dips doing speed limit or more like they're not there. I can also take it through canyons to get to trailhead quicker than other trucks and all weekend drivers. And my truck is always loading with full camping/ overlanding gears (full fridge, multiple power stations, roof tent, starlink, full kitchen set, food, full tool set, etc) I achieve that with maxed out low speed adjustment to firm up suspension and did not do any testing with low speed at other levels due to prior experiences.

For off-road i ranked it 8/10 because it's not 100% the way I want. The good: high speed off road run suspension is more compliant and able to keep up with the compression and rebounding on things up to mid size whoops. Any larger sized whoops will need 3.0 or even LT. With 2.5 dia and resi shock fade due to heat is not Low speed off road run like crawling through rocks suspension is very supportive and firm, not bobbing you left and right because they're too stiff. Of course, all these will depend on how you set up your adjusters.
The bad (and why it's not 100% for me): at the end of the day, it's still off-the-shelf shocks. Of course, you can get them revalved to your spec if you so choose to. In addition, even at the Fox factory setting in the front to retain droop, the droop is still limited by my standard but still better than stock or any other brands that I've installed. It's no 3.0 and even with the EXT version that requires UCA, it's still not touching the bare minimum of LT. For me, it is a compromise I made - readily available but not 100% the performance I am looking for, and I knew that before I ordered it.

I have three options to choose from for my truck's future:
-Long Travel and deal with the horrible on pavement posture
-Custom King shock body and valving, paired with dual speed resi from King or Fox (yes, Fox DSC resi fits on King's hose)
-Custom valving/ shock tuning on the Fox 2.5 and see where it goes
-The ultimate build: power wagon with Carli Dominator kit or Thuren kit

But let me give you another option if you're seriously considering Fox 2.5 DSC. As H2OMAN mentioned, Fox 2.5 DSC is pricy. And you still have to add support parts like UCA, rear springs, and rear end links. If you copy my homework and do Carli everything (UCA, rear spring, and end link) that will put you really close to Carli's Performance Package that retails around $5k or so.
But for that price, you will get a Carli tuned King shocks front and rear, Carli rear springs, Carli brake lines, and Carli rear end links. The advantage here is that Carli's shock tuning allows for more suspension travel, and it's not your off-the-shelf generically tuned race shock from King. If King's lead time was shorter when I was ordering shocks, I'd gone Carli Performance Pack instead. That's how good they are.
Another option if you're spending that much is Thuren Kings. They also do their custom tuning as well. I'd say both of them are head-to-head but if you want more technical support in regards to the specific application and your driving style, Don @ Thuren is the guy to talk to. 2019-2023 Dodge Ram 1500 King 2.5 Shocks

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMHO, and I know its not a popular one, regardless of which shocks you go with, if you level up to even close to 2" you need aftermarket UCAs - not just with the expensive setups.

To me travel is more important than height 6 days a week + 2x on Sunday. And I am OCD about perfect alignment. So for me UCA's is a "sunk cost" anyway. I run SPC UCAs on a level I've targeted around 1.75".

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMHO, and I know its not a popular one, regardless of which shocks you go with, if you level up to even close to 2" you need aftermarket UCAs - not just with the expensive setups.

To me travel is more important than height 6 days a week + 2x on Sunday. And I am OCD about perfect alignment. So for me UCA's is a "sunk cost" anyway. I run SPC UCAs on a level I've targeted around 1.75".
i didn't know SPC makes one for ours. I was searching but couldn't find.

and yes, i agree. Although they say 2" or under doesn't need UCA i'd just do it anyways.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i didn't know SPC makes one for ours. I was searching but couldn't find.

and yes, i agree. Although they say 2" or under doesn't need UCA i'd just do it anyways.
Welp. I've outted myself. SPC doesn't have any UCAs for the DT, and I don't have a DT (see lack of sig). :eek: Had just about every make now, including prior gen dodge.

Been around here looking to get into a DT (shared some of the foils & folly's in other "buying" threads), but until then I can't stop pouring money and parts into my current F150... hoping it will make me like it more, because I've pretty much resolved to wait for the '25 refresh.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welp. I've outted myself. SPC doesn't have any UCAs for the DT, and I don't have a DT (see lack of sig). :eek: Had just about every make now, including prior gen dodge.

Been around here looking to get into a DT (shared some of the foils & folly's in other "buying" threads), but until then I can't stop pouring money and parts into my current F150... hoping it will make me like it more, because I've pretty much resolved to wait for the '25 refresh.
Don’t 4th and 5th Gen Rams use the same UCAs? This thread suggests they do. Icon lists their UCAs as 2009+, as do other manufacturers.

Edit: interestingly, Icon lists their tubular UCAs as 2009+, but their billet UCA is listed as 2019+.

Edit 2: I don’t see any SPC products for any Ram or Dodge, so just ignore me. 🤪

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score

all good. as a tech I'd tell you to get rid of that F150 like yesterday lol

but i WISH they (SPC) makes anything for Ram. I liked their adjustability on the Toyota platform so our shop can play with UCA settings to get away with no body mount chop to fit 33s. Yes, toyotas need body mount chop to fit 33s for offroad use. for mall crawling can get away without it.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
all good. as a tech I'd tell you to get rid of that F150 like yesterday lol
Hehe - man, if you only knew how I've been trying (2015 Lariat 3.5 Eco Crew)!

I'm being too picky and not liking much of the options to replace it with. Its gotten to where I've been selling my wife hard on letting me trade it in on a new car for her, then I'd just drive her car until the 25 Ram's come out.

Every month there's a strange new problem (though nothing ever engine related yet).
Ever since I stopped using it as a work truck, it doesn't make for an enjoyable family hauler. But holy smokes, does it move out! If it weren't for that I'd have probably set it afire in a field by now. I keep modding it over the years hoping I'd start to love it like I have some past vehicles, but the connection just never formed. It's just not that much fun without a trailer behind it.

Users who are viewing this thread