5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four Times to Dealer - Rear Window Still Leaking!!! I’m About to Blow my Top

ronmac7609

Reaction score
I found it on the molar parts site. It says it’s the third light for 2019-2021. This is not the one that is already on the 2019 1500 from the factory?
I have a 2019 and I got the newest one at the dealer. It has a different piece above the gasket that must deflect any water.

jromeo215

Reaction score
My truck is a 2019 w/65K miles and just started leaking. I bought the following seal material and simply peeled off the existing gasket, stuck this new seal on and voila...no leak. HOWEVER...I am closely monitoring to be sure. The key difference is the factory seal is an open-cell foam, aka sponge, and the new is a closed-cell foam. This entire job took about 15 minutes.

And used it to seal what part of the truck?

GAscooter

Reaction score
My truck is a 2019 w/65K miles and just started leaking. I bought the following seal material and simply peeled off the existing gasket, stuck this new seal on and voila...no leak. HOWEVER...I am closely monitoring to be sure. The key difference is the factory seal is an open-cell foam, aka sponge, and the new is a closed-cell foam. This entire job took about 15 minutes.

I tried this with this exact product and only made it worse. I understand that some folks have had success with it though. After that I bought the new light from my local dealer which fixed the leak.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I tried this with this exact product and only made it worse. I understand that some folks have had success with it though. After that I bought the new light from my local dealer which fixed the leak.
Oh wow...OK, so now I am REALLY gonna continue surveillance for any further leaks. Shameful that RAM/FCA/Stellantis (whatever they're called this week) won't stand behind this stupidly poor design and provide the updated lights as part of a recall.

The real message I'm getting with all of this is to watch our trucks regardless...

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just get a roll of butyl tape and forget it ever leaking forever. Remove the light, throw away the gaskets and lay a strip around the perimeter. put the light fixture back on and tighten it down until it just smooshes all around. Use a plastic putty knife and cut the excess by pressing. not like cutting a steak, do not drag.

Back to Tundra

Reaction score
Just one of the many issues that are still unresolved. Luckily I have not had water issues yet! However I had a 19 bought back because of unresolved vibrations and balance issues. They fought a tough fight and ran me through the ringer! I had a 2021 Laramie built, because I do love the new rams when they are not having issues! Now the 21 with only 9600 miles is having electrical issues, many lights on the dash and many options disabled. Took into the dealer and they checked a few things, but still unresolved, dealer stated they need a at least a half day to go through the wiring harness from the rear wheels to the engine compartment😩 I read on here that others have had my same issue since the first builds in late 18😩 I’ve been told it’s a design flaw and the connections under the truck get wet and or are rubbing through! One story I read had to have fuel take dropped down to repair his wire harness😩 sounds like a nightmare on a $65,000 year old truck! Good luck with your repair, hope they can get it fixed!👍🏻 Never again for me, mine will be traded when the warranty is up!
My 2019 Laramie 1500 is also leaking….bad. First time it started leaking was around Easter 2022. Took it to the dealership and had to fight with Chrysler Customer Care to get them to mostly cover it. The dealer replaced the entire rear window assembly. It seemed like it was fixed. I went through the car wash a couple of times and then yesterday…we had a rain storm and the headliner was soaked! See photos. This is my first Ram and is most certainly my last! As much as I want to like this truck, Ram’s build quality is absolutely awful!!! I’ve had waaaay too many issues with this truck starting with the rear main seal leaking on day 4 of ownership with 220 miles on it. I still wish I had my 2008 Tundra with 170k miles. It is 1,000 times more reliable than Ram’s very poorly built trucks. #ramcares my butt! Oh and getting it towed is a common sight…

Attachments

• DCAB52A6-8846-4012-A5D9-26259F08CDA5.jpeg
    DCAB52A6-8846-4012-A5D9-26259F08CDA5.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 53
  • C285F757-F4C7-4978-B157-84DA1A286DC1.jpeg
    C285F757-F4C7-4978-B157-84DA1A286DC1.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 066B3BF7-14EF-4A65-8674-5A1CC3D0AFB4.jpeg
    066B3BF7-14EF-4A65-8674-5A1CC3D0AFB4.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 53

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Weird how some of us never see the level of issues that other do. I have had Toyota's and I got to say they aren't trouble free either but sometimes its just luck I guess.

U

User_3336

My dad had this issue. And it ended up being a weld missing. Took 5trips. On the 5th my dad said you don’t fix it this time I’m getting a new truck. So you better it it. And that’s when they found the missing weld. So they welded painted. And it been good to go. His was so bad. All the carpet was soaked.
Threatening to "get a new truck if this isn't fixed".........Hell, they would have loved that threat. Trade that sucker in for a new one! LOL

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Threatening to "get a new truck if this isn't fixed".........Hell, they would have loved that threat. Trade that sucker in for a new one! LOL
That’s why we have the lemon law options! It’s not a threat, it’s our right! After 7 visits with no fix to my 19 ram, I told them fix it or you’ll be hearing from my lawyer, a week later they gave me a new truck! Why should we have to take the hit on a trade in when they can’t fix a issue?

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Weird how some of us never see the level of issues that other do. I have had Toyota's and I got to say they aren't trouble free either but sometimes its just luck I guess.
I know and I hate to complain and be negative. But after 2 different rams with unresolved issue, very disappointing. I have talked to people with 50,000+ Miles On their ram with not one issue. I’ve also talked to new Chevy, ford and Toyota truck owners who have also had problems. Covid crappy builds, the new way of life🤷🏻‍♂️😩

NHRoadking

Reaction score
Ram quality has always seemed an issue compared to other trucks. It would be nice if they made quality a priority for a change.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram quality has always seemed an issue compared to other trucks. It would be nice if they made quality a priority for a change.
I don't think Ram quality is any worse/better than the other major brands but what I do think is that Ram dealers are not as good at resolving the issues. If they put more emphasis on customer satisfaction they would have much happier customers overall a better perception of the product and develop a higher level of brand loyalty.

Last edited:

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think Ram quality is any worse/better than the other major brands but what I do think is that Ram dealers are not as good at resolving the issues. If they put more emphasis on customer satisfaction they would have much happier customers overall a better perception of the product and develop a higher level of band loyalty.
Exactly, I’m not as upset that my trucks have had issue! But I’m pissed that there is no fix!

wvinson

Reaction score
My '19 Limited was leaking before I traded it in and they said the back glass was cracked and replaced it, but it was still leaking.
They then replaced the third brake light and it stopped leaking.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It all depends on where you are looking for information at. If you were a member on forums for other manufacturers you would see just as many posts about "common" issues. Chevy has lifter issues worse than the Hemi. Ford's new 10 speed trans, which Chevy also uses has more problems than Dodge/Ram 8-speed. The Ecoboost motors don't meet the advertised fuel economy numbers in the trucks.

U

User_3336

It all depends on where you are looking for information at. If you were a member on forums for other manufacturers you would see just as many posts about "common" issues. Chevy has lifter issues worse than the Hemi. Ford's new 10 speed trans, which Chevy also uses has more problems than Dodge/Ram 8-speed. The Ecoboost motors don't meet the advertised fuel economy numbers in the trucks.
WELL SAID!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/