5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found metal shaving in front differential

hortoni

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2019 Ram Rebel 5.7 Hemi with 64,000 miles. I'm changing the front and rear differential oil as well as the transfer case fluid. I'm not in 4wd very often but 23000 of the 64k miles have been towing a 8500 lb camper so I try to stay on top of these.

When draining the front differential, I saw a piece of metal shaving and was able to pull it out with needle nose pliers. The plug itself was clean and the oil also looked fine. I've noticed no noise or any problems from the 4wd system. Should I be concerned? Is there a chance this was just from the initial manufacturing process?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5215.jpg
    IMG_5215.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5216.jpg
    IMG_5216.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 52

hortoni

Reaction score
I'll add that the shaving looks like aluminum. It is not magnetic.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That is a pretty big shaving. The fact that you haven't experienced any issues leads me to think that you likely won't, but I would keep an eye on it

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm between Rams right now, so I can't even look at construction, but do they have aluminum covers by chance? If so, to me it looks like maybe a chip from tapping the hole in the cover for the plug? I have seen chips hang on pipe fittings, and maybe the same happened and they missed it. There wouldn't be any aluminum inside a differential.

hortoni

Reaction score
I'm between Rams right now, so I can't even look at construction, but do they have aluminum covers by chance? If so, to me it looks like maybe a chip from tapping the hole in the cover for the plug? I have seen chips hang on pipe fittings, and maybe the same happened and they missed it. There wouldn't be any aluminum inside a differential.
I had the same thought. Without any other signs of metal or oil contamination I think I'll probably just keep an eye on it. I have the extended warranty until 120K miles but I have a $200 deductable so unless it looks like a problem, I don't see the need to pay the dealership to remove the case cover and inspect.

Users who are viewing this thread