5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former F-150 owners: what do you miss?

Kaderast

Reaction score
Had a 2006 Lariat Super Crew before my Ram. Liked that it never left me stranded. Decent factory sound system, with the old 6 CD/MP3 DISC changer and sub-woofer.

Dislike, 5.4 Triton first spark plug change, all 8 plugs broke. Had to use the Lisle extractor tool to remove them from the heads. Ford forgot to use high temp anti-seize on the ground shield. TSB issued later on.
8 broken spark plugs?! I think I would have pushed the truck into a lake after 3 or 4.

DomW

Reaction score
Dislike, 5.4 Triton first spark plug change, all 8 plugs broke. Had to use the Lisle extractor tool to remove them from the heads. Ford forgot to use high temp anti-seize on the ground shield. TSB issued later on.
Until you mentioned it, I had forgotten about it. I read later after I had bought my 2010 that they were still doing that or it was an issue with "dissimilar metals". I traded my F150 at 100k miles and its original plugs in it. Also had the exhaust manifolds crack.

Hemidakota

Reaction score
Traded my 07 FX4 with the 5.4 in for my 21 Limited. I do miss the keypad on the door. I miss the center console shifter as well. I keep grabbing for it especially in curves. Other than that my Ram out performs the Ford in every way. A WHOLE LOT MORE POWER! Especially with the iDrive throttle performance. Holy crap did this wake up the truck!

My a/c in the Ram has its days. Some days it's blowing so cold that I have to turn it down. Some days I would be better off just rolling the windows down. Now I think, I think, this might be an issue with the 12" touchscreen. I've had the maps mess up on me, backup camera image constantly goes out and XM shows no signal at times. The dealership said they have seen this before and they have to replace the touchscreen to fix it. I just take pictures each time it has a problem so they can see what it does.

Other than that I don't miss my Ford at all and I had that truck for 14 years.

sd2134

Reaction score
Until you mentioned it, I had forgotten about it. I read later after I had bought my 2010 that they were still doing that or it was an issue with "dissimilar metals". I traded my F150 at 100k miles and its original plugs in it. Also had the exhaust manifolds crack.
Yes, dissimilar metals, aluminum heads with steel spark plug ground shield. The different expansion rate allowed carbon build up between the two causing the plugs to get stuck and break apart during removal. I added nickel anti-seize to the shield, per Ford's TSB, zero broken plugs on the second change. Rumor at the time was some dealers were charging extra for each broken plug that they had to extract. Several YouTube videos on the Triton 3V engine plug extraction process.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do the F150s have paddle shifters? I would miss those if I moved to a Ram from Ford. I don't really care about them for regular driving, but coming down some of the curvy mountains in NC, they were great in my Jeep.

Redtrucks

Reaction score
Things I miss:
key pad
36 gallon fuel tank
3:55 rear end w/limited slip
towing mirrors

Things I like:
excellent ride
quiet
exterior looks
interior
engine sound
AC works great
8 speed transmission

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
Miss the keypad pretty much every day especially when we go surfing. Other than that I love my Ram.

Users who are viewing this thread