5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former F-150 owners: what do you miss?

jastevenson

Reaction score
I’m guessing there are quite a few former F-150 owners on here. What do you miss?

I prefer my Ram in almost every way, with the following exceptions:

1) A/C performance. It’s been beaten to death on here, but even compared with 2021 Rams, the Ford’s A/C is markedly better.
2) Quietness. Ram overall is quiet, but you could pretty much hear a pin drop in the F-150.
3) Engine. Low down, I prefer the Ram’s V8. Ram also sounds better. But when the EcoBoost turbo kicks in around 3000 RPM, the Ford is a rocket ship.
4) Door keypad. Was nice to be able to lock the keys in the truck when at the beach.

Can’t really think of anything else I preferred on my Ford. How about you guys?

Rick J

Reaction score
I'll agree with #4. I miss the the door keypad. Outside of that, my list of things I don't miss would be very long. :censored:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m guessing there are quite a few former F-150 owners on here. What do you miss?

1) A/C performance. It’s been beaten to death on here, but even compared with 2021 Rams, the Ford’s A/C is markedly better.
2) Quietness. Ram overall is quiet, but you could pretty much hear a pin drop in the F-150.
3) Engine. Low down, I prefer the Ram’s V8. Ram also sounds better. But when the EcoBoost turbo kicks in around 3000 RPM, the Ford is a rocket ship.
4) Door keypad. Was nice to be able to lock the keys in the truck when at the beach.

1) Honestly my A/C was no better on my 2015 F150.
2) F150 was too quiet, as in sedan sounding engine. Powerful and wonderful 2.7L Ecoboost, but wished it had the exhaust rumble to go with it, which is one of the reasons why I got my RAM. Wind noise was about the same.
3) Yup, I've tested both my trucks with an acceleration app, my F150 was faster overall. Just didn't sound like it.
4) YES - The keypad is a convenient thing to have, especially when I want to get something out of my truck and don't have the key anywhere around me. But alas, Ford has a patent on the keypad system.

I would had just add 3 more things.....

- I miss the "Sport" button on the transmission. This would not only adjust the transmission tuning, but also the ratio of the gas pedal. Almost like a pedal commander does. The RAM could use that.

- The plastic bed caps are weak on the RAM, they are slightly caved in with the same bed rack system I used on my F150. My F150 bed caps didn't budge at all, but the RAMs are pinched and I'm not really impressed with that. Everyone makes fun of the F150's aluminum bed, but I never had that issue.

- The dealer network. RAM dealers are near last in terms of overall customer service, Ford isn't at the top either, but I felt like they took care of any concerns I had a whole lot better.

All this being said, I love my RAM better than any vehicle I've ever owned.

Last edited:

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Door Keypad!!!! Hate things in my pocket so I always left my keys in there. Never had an issue.

I miss being able to run 17" wheels. I had Raptor takeoffs on mine.

Any leveling kits works the same for all of them. No changing control arms, off road group ride height or not, yada yada yada.

I like the rear seat split better in the Ford. In the ford 60% of the rear seat folds up from the driver side, on the Ram on 40% folds up from the driver side.

I do like my Ram better in every way. Only wish we had a keypad.

Bertman

Reaction score
My 13 F-150 was an FX4 that I put slightly bigger BFG AT's, and my 21 Laramie with the Night Package are vastly different in many ways.

Miss the keypad on the door.

I also liked how the main screen showed what gear I was in. I've also found a way to show it on the RAM, but it's annoying because it has to be done every time.

The EcoBoost was a very different engine. Took a while to get used to it when I got it, and took a bit to get used to a V8's power curve now.

I usually have some sort of regret, especially about spending that much money, whenever I get a new vehicle. Hasn't happened with the RAM, love the V8, interior, appearance, features and space.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I also liked how the main screen showed what gear I was in. I've also found a way to show it on the RAM, but it's annoying because it has to be done every time.
That's incorrect, at least for my trim level. Mine displays the gear at all times; it's a setting in UConnect, per the owner's manual.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 13 F-150 was an FX4 that I put slightly bigger BFG AT's, and my 21 Laramie with the Night Package are vastly different in many ways.

Miss the keypad on the door.

The EcoBoost was a very different engine. Took a while to get used to it when I got it, and took a bit to get used to a V8's power curve now.

I usually have some sort of regret, especially about spending that much money, whenever I get a new vehicle. Hasn't happened with the RAM, love the V8, interior, appearance, features and space.

As SpeedyV mentioned, you can go to the dash menu screen and activate "Current Gear", which shows you what gear you are in at all times. The other thing I think you are doing each time is the gear limit on the steering wheel and setting it to 8.

You can have both the current gear and gear limit displays at the same time, they will be located to the right of the PDNR display on your gauge cluster when activated.

Last edited:

2001gw

Reaction score
I had a 2003 F-150 that I purchased in November 2002. It was a GREAT TRUCK. When I bought it I told myself I would not buy another truck until I put 200,000 miles on it. At 199,932 miles (last March) the transmission went out. I went that afternoon and bought a 2021 RAM Limited. I just hope I get as good of service out of it as I did the F-150! (y) I actually felt guilty not buying another F-150.....BUT I LOVE MY RAM! :)

sonybony40

Reaction score
I had a 2015 and 2018 F150, I’ve only had my Ram for a minute but the first things I have noticed…

-Keypad, yes I miss that, literally don’t think I took my key out of my truck for 6 years.
-I do miss the acceleration off the line that the eco boost gave.
-I miss the gear shifter, maybe over time I’ll get used to the “dial”

Things I really love the Ram for though…
-The ventilated seats really kick out some air, on the F150 I barely noticed them on max.
-The ride is so much better in my Ram, it feels more refined.
-The styling, I think the Ram just looks better all around inside and out.
-The sound of that V8 Hemi, love
-The center console, in the Ram its amazing how well engineered it is, absolutely can’t believe how much I love it.

I could go on, but overall they are both great trucks, that being said there is meaningful reasons I jumped ship and just bought a Ram.

sixate

Reaction score
36 gallon fuel tank, the 3.5L ecoboost has far better acceleration than the Hemi, but that's it. Ram looks better, rides better, seats are way more comfortable, better interior design, far quiter inside. Hasn't broken down on me 4 times like my F150 did.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I only miss the power my 13 3.5 Ecoboost made when tuned.

Otherwise, not really anything else.

deanno33

Reaction score
I had a 2014, 2015 and 2018 F150s (all 5.0). Really like them all.

Key pad - absolutely loved that
Ford pass was lifetime and way nicer than Ram using the Sirius thing
Shifter vs knob - after a year in the Ram still kinda struggle getting totally used to the silly knob
Aluminum F150 just felt more nimble
Retractable bed step was nice on the Ford

The list is way longer of the things I prefer on the Ram.

deanno33

Reaction score
I miss the quiet solitude when my Ford was broken down in the Texas heat on a stretch of highway with no traffic. Good times by myself with nobody to blame but that blue oval!
Okay....similar. on way to CO from WI for elk hunt. 2018 F150 with 20,000 miles dies on freeway at midnight. Broken valve spring. Missed 1.5 days of opening season...until I could pull into camp with the dealers shuttle van. That event is what made me consider Ram.

bpwj76

Reaction score
Had a 2012 5.0 FX2 luxury package. Like others have said, the key pad. That's about it.

What I don't miss: having to get the slip yoke greased on the driveshaft every 12k miles and the squeaky tailgate.

hoodac78

Reaction score

I have to say I loved the way my 3.5 Ecoboost towed. That low end torque is amazing on those engines and it was nice not having to rev higher to get that torque out of the engine like you do for the Hemi.
The 'Sport Mode' was a hell of a lot of fun on that truck too!

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a 2018 XLT 302A with the 5.0. Now have a 2020 Laramie 5.7 eT.

Miss about the Ferd...

1. AC was better by 4-5 degrees.
2. Door key pad
3. Slightly wider seats
4. Navigation (I realize this is an option)
5. Interior lights and display auto dimmed at night
6. Driving modes (sport, eco, wet/snow, etc)

The list of things I don't miss would be very long.

Derlant1983

Reaction score
Ford's nice simple polished wheels as opposed to rams plastic puzzle wheels.
Forscan to change many annoying beeps, chimes and horn honks.

I don't miss the 4 for 4 back to the dealer inside year 1 cause the pherd won't run.

Users who are viewing this thread