5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forgot to shut off truck!!

Terb59

Reaction score
well here's my 2 cents. if the truck were to shut off or not shift out of park if it did not detect the fob, what would you do when your battery in the fob is weak or dead ? If the fob is dead you can still start the vehicle and drive. Now here is something i noticed and may not be on all models. i have a half hour lunch, I was in my truck a few times last summer and if the vehicle is running for 30 min ( im guessing thats the time frame as i was getting ready to shut it off and go back to work ) the lights flash and the horn honks. freaked me out and i thought i hit the panic but i leave my keys in the center console. so im not sure how you could leave it running and not know.

Here's how to start with a dead fob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terb59

Reaction score
Here’s my little trick to knowing if I didn’t shut the truck off. I manually lock the doors with switch on the door while getting out. If it’s still running guess won’t lock.... that’s right, the door . I Never forgot to shut my truck off again after doing this religiously.

Not sure that works. I leave my truck running if I have a quick stop when it's freezing in Minnesota. I get out with the fob and lock by pushing the button on the door handle. It locks and stays running. 2019 Ram Limited.

Bubba33

Reaction score
It doesn't remind you with it honking and flashing lights.ive been in mine this winter for over 30 min idling. And nothing. Onlyway it shuts off is by hitting the start button or runnung out of gas.

MFALRAM

Reaction score
Not sure that works. I leave my truck running if I have a quick stop when it's freezing in Minnesota. I get out with the fob and lock by pushing the button on the door handle. It locks and stays running. 2019 Ram Limited.

Maybe because you have a limited and have passive entry. I have a bighorn with no passive entry. In order for me to lock my door while running it has to be done with the key fob. While getting out and truck running if I try to lock by pushing the door locks on the door it will not lock.

tdager

Reaction score
Other vehicles will beep if you walk away with it running, I was surprised to find that the RAM won't alert you. It does display a nice quick note on he dashboard, but by this time you are already out of the vehicle and won't see it, not hear the soft chime either!

The issue is that if you are riding with someone like your wife or GF, you both get out, but she hops into the driver's seat and drives away.

Then they can't restart the truck to come pick you up because you have the key in your pocket!

At least if there was a warning beep you would get a gentle reminder to hand them the key fob! Too bad the RAM doesn't have this option in a uconnect setting somewhere!

My Ford beeps, loudly, if you get out of the SUV with the key in your pocket and it is running.

I HATE it. Often times I will start the car in the morning, sometimes go out to it and get something, and then go back to the house. Early in the morning all of my neighbors, and my wife, get a nice loud set of beeps. No thanks.

stevestrike

Reaction score
Well this thread makes me feel a little better myself. Same thing happened to me a few weeks back. Parked, jumped out of the truck, only to come back 5 hours later to find it still running! I can't believe they allow that to happen, to be honest. Maybe a message on the dash... car has been running for 30 minutes without you in it, will shut down if you don't press "OK"?

leonandlisa

Reaction score
I admit I like the newer creature comforts, auto lights, auto dim, automatic transmission, auto wipers. I don’t want my truck to auto shut off, if I leave it running, I want it running. If I ever forget to shut it off, that’s my fault, but if I leave it on for my older grandparents, or dog, I don’t want it to shut off on them. My wife’s old car wouldn’t run for more than 15 minutes without moving, it would just shut off. I cursed that car until we sold it.

mophead

Reaction score
Here’s my little trick to knowing if I didn’t shut the truck off. I manually lock the doors with switch on the door while getting out. If it’s still running guess won’t lock.... that’s right, the door . I Never forgot to shut my truck off again after doing this religiously.
It works for my Mazda and yes I've left it running multiple times. I also have it set to lock when I walk away with the fob, and lately it decides on it's own if it wants to work or not. I always lock it manually now.

Norvak

Reaction score
I did this once at a grocery store. There was loud construction going on right next to where I parked and guess forgot to turn it off. I felt like an idiot. After reading this thread I feel a little better.

Users who are viewing this thread