5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forest River Salem 32BHDS

Reaction score
Looking into purchasing my first Travel Trailer, a Forest River Salem 32BHDS. This model seems to have everything we need to fit the kids, dog and occasional guests. Just concerned about going so big for a first time hauler, total length is listed at 36' 4". Anyone have any experience towing this model, size or something similar? Could also use some help with weight distribution hitch, I don't really have a clue, should I just go with what the dealer recommends?

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s pretty long for a half ton in my opinion but it’s going to be the weight where you run into an issue. What is the load capacity (yellow sticker inside drivers door) of your truck, dry weight of the trailer, GVWR of the trailer and tongue weight?

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
I think the overall TT weight is going to push you over your payload limits once you factor in people, cargo, etc. If you're committed to the longer trailer, might be worth considering on of the lighter models like the Apex 300BHS.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn’t tow that trailer with a half ton. Too long, too heavy for a half ton truck in my opinion. That trailer will be close to 10000 and probably 1200 tongue weight fully loaded. Add the weight of you, your family, dog, hitch and other cargo and you’re probably over your trucks max payload capacity.

How far, how often, how fast and who/what do you plan to carry when towing? Would having the family follow in another vehicle be a possibility? Would you have the flexibility to delay your travel a day or two if weather conditions are not ideal?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking into purchasing my first Travel Trailer, a Forest River Salem 32BHDS. This model seems to have everything we need to fit the kids, dog and occasional guests. Just concerned about going so big for a first time hauler, total length is listed at 36' 4". Anyone have any experience towing this model, size or something similar? Could also use some help with weight distribution hitch, I don't really have a clue, should I just go with what the dealer recommends?
You are going to hear some saying your crazy for towing that heavy with a 1/2 ton pickup. Others will say"Shure, you can tow that and more. No problem." Everyone has an opinion, and they are worth what you pay for them. ZIP!!! Personally, I would advise to start smaller for a first timer. the truck will indeed handle the weight and length. Look at the weight sticker and it will tell you, or go to the Ram sight and input the VIN and it will give you your limits. I would advise a first timer to stay well within, or well under the truck limits until you have some experience under your belt. There is NOTHING like experience, and nothing like hindsight. The more the better. I have a 36' fifth wheel that scales at 10000 with a Limited that is rated at 11465, but have been towing for 40+ years, and feel completely comfortable with it and it is a solid tow. I however would not recommend it to a weekend warrior that pulls a couple of times a year, or a first timer. For a tow-behind, your equalizer hitch will be the biggest thing. Proper setup will make the difference between a pleasurable trip, and a nightmare. Get help and get it right. And, please, keep the speed reasonable. When towing and things go bad, they get worse really fast. Any hoo, take it for what it's worth, and have a great experience.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got a coachmen 282BHDS, it's 32' tip to tail, roughly the same dry weight but lower GVWR. I will say that unless you have a good weight distribution hitch dialed in and possibly do several other things...you will most likely have white knuckles with the sway from a sail that big.
I personally can't wait for the stock tires to wear out so I can get some load range E's, and at some point I will likely be adding sumosprings or timbrens as the truck makes large motions over large bumps. Beyond that maybe a rear sway bar upgrade if I need it.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
with a Limited that is rated at 11465

Your Limited is not rated at 11465. One of your specs might be, but you are way over payload with that 5th wheel. You are limited by the weakest link, not the strongest.

In fact you are probably so over payload that simply connecting the unloaded trailer to your truck, dry, with no other passengers or cargo still puts you overweight by a few hundred pounds.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your Limited is not rated at 11465. One of your specs might be, but you are way over payload with that 5th wheel. You are limited by the weakest link, not the strongest.

In fact you are probably so over payload that simply connecting the unloaded trailer to your truck, dry, with no other passengers or cargo still puts you overweight by a few hundred pounds.
Ahhhh. Opinions are like ass40les. Everyone has one. And some are one.
BTW, you might want to tell FCA they're wrong, or full of it, or whatever. I'm just going by what the VIN specs say, not the door sticker.
And like I said, it tows rock solid and level.

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
BTW, you might want to tell FCA they're wrong, or full of it, or whatever. I'm just going by what the VIN specs say, not the door sticker.

No need to call names. Take a screenshot of your door jamb sticker and post it here if you're feeling brave. Guaranteed your available payload is < 1400 pounds. If you have a 9000 pound 5w, assume about 22% pin weight when you're all loaded up, which is 2000 pounds. Add another 100 pounds for your 5w hitch. So making some rough estimations, you are 500 to 600 pounds over your payload without even adding anything else to your truck like driver + passengers + dog + cargo.

FCA is not wrong, you're reading one specification of the truck and assuming that that is enough. (If you drop a cummins in a Ford Mustang, do you think you can suddenly pull a 5w now? Because that's what you're suggesting by just looking at tow rating in isolation from the rest of your truck).

Your tires have a max weight they can handle. Your axles do too. You are probably overloading the rear axle by a fair amount.

So your truck is quite out of balance. You have the power to tow lots (3.92 gives you that), but you don't have the capability to support the weight of the 5th wheel.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I will share my ass4ole opinion.

And FCA is not wrong but is full of it.

Ok so you got 40 plus years of towing...that is great and very glad you feel comfortable towing your camper...but some of these people are new and do not even know the difference between GVWR and UVW.

The max tow rating is for a 10% tongue weight and a fifth wheel is known to have about 15 to 20 % pin weight.

Now this is were it gets tricky...see in your signature you say #9000 but in the thread you say 10k

So you have a 4x2 GVWR is 6900. 5.7l with 3.92 is 17000 GCWR.

Hmmm. 17000 minus 11465 is 5535.

I am sure your truck weighs more than that with you in it.

Hmmm. 6900 mins 5535 is a 1365 payload.

Hmmm....10000 at lets just say 18% is 1800 pounds.

@silver billet was completely justified to say what he said.

And you know what they say...birds of a feather flock together.

Good times

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am so glad some of you guys can tow so much with your 1500s. It is great to know you guys can do this.

I would also like to avoid your travel days.

When a new guy asks a question...it is so much better to explain to him what a proper capacity truck is to be.

Then when they get some time under their belt...they can decide to put everyone at risk on their own

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No need to call names. Take a screenshot of your door jamb sticker and post it here if you're feeling brave. Guaranteed your available payload is < 1400 pounds. If you have a 9000 pound 5w, assume about 22% pin weight when you're all loaded up, which is 2000 pounds. Add another 100 pounds for your 5w hitch. So making some rough estimations, you are 500 to 600 pounds over your payload without even adding anything else to your truck like driver + passengers + dog + cargo.

FCA is not wrong, you're reading one specification of the truck and assuming that that is enough. (If you drop a cummins in a Ford Mustang, do you think you can suddenly pull a 5w now? Because that's what you're suggesting by just looking at tow rating in isolation from the rest of your truck).

Your tires have a max weight they can handle. Your axles do too. You are probably overloading the rear axle by a fair amount.

So your truck is quite out of balance. You have the power to tow lots (3.92 gives you that), but you don't have the capability to support the weight of the 5th wheel.
A door jamb sticker alone won't tell you anything. No one claimed that a limited could have a 1500lb+ payload... And assuming, well you know what people say about that...
Weight slips would be needed too, no two trailers are identical. Pin weight from a bigger 5th doesn't always correlate exactly to the pin weight of the lighter 5th wheels out there. There are ones that a 1/2 ton is more than capable of handling if extras in the truck are kept to a minimum. I.E. only 1 or 2 people in the truck, like he infers.

I haven't weighed my TT setup, but I'm mildly confident that I am exceeding my payload when we throw the bicycles in the back of the truck. I'm not worried as I'm certainly not exceeding axle weights and the truck doesn't handle any worse. Keeping your speed in check helps to keep chances of sh1t hitting the fan to a minimum.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For the new guy who wants to know what his truck is actually capable of. There are a few terms you need to learn.

GVWR. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

Payload

GAWR. Gross Axle Weight Rating

Curb weight

GCWR. Gross Combined Weight Rating.

Tongue weight.

UVW. Inside Vehicle Weight.

Keeping this discussion simple we will use the most common RAM configuration.

1500 Crew 5'7 4x4 5.7l Hemi 3.92 rear (we can discuss any other configuration later)

GVWR GAWR GCWR are numbers from the towing chart. They will not change. They can not be increased and do not decrease. These are specific to the configuration. Note that the GVWR and GAWR are listed on the door jamb also. GCWR is only on the towing charts.

GVWR is 7100 front GAWR is 3900 and rear GAWR is 4100

Using the Payload number on the door jamb we can then find curb weight. GVWR MINUS PAYLOAD EQUALS CURB WEIGHT.

PAYLOAD IS DIFFERENT FOR EACH AND EVERY TRUCK. The payload listed in the chart is for a tradesman. Not a fully loaded limited or any other trim.

So for fun we will say the door jamb says 1425...which is about the average we got from our payload thread.

7100 - 1425= 5675 curb weight. This is the truck empty with full fluids...so no passengers but full tank of gas.

So max towing is a stupid number to sell trucks.

They do GCWR minus curb weight...guess what that means no passengers or cargo.

17000 - 5675 = 11325.

That number is actually the combination of passenger, cargo, hitch, tongue weight, and trailer.

We will stop there...as this is were each individual will have to add their own numbers.

Til I get more time.

silver billet

Reaction score
A door jamb sticker alone won't tell you anything. No one claimed that a limited could have a 1500lb+ payload... And assuming, well you know what people say about that...
Weight slips would be needed too, no two trailers are identical. Pin weight from a bigger 5th doesn't always correlate exactly to the pin weight of the lighter 5th wheels out there. There are ones that a 1/2 ton is more than capable of handling if extras in the truck are kept to a minimum. I.E. only 1 or 2 people in the truck, like he infers.

I haven't weighed my TT setup, but I'm mildly confident that I am exceeding my payload when we throw the bicycles in the back of the truck. I'm not worried as I'm certainly not exceeding axle weights and the truck doesn't handle any worse. Keeping your speed in check helps to keep chances of sh1t hitting the fan to a minimum.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

You're not saying much of anything. This has nothing to do with bicycles my friend. By my rough calculations (which have to remain rough until he posts his exact sticker and trailer model) Trooper is several hundred pounds over payload, with an empty truck and trailer.

silver billet

Reaction score

I fully understand why you think you can tow 11.5K pounds or whatever it says on the VIN. But the issue is that there are several ratings which limit you. There is the tow rating (which is 11.5K according to your vin). But there is also the very important payload rating which (for your truck) is < 1400 pounds (guessing, but you drive a limited and they are always low).

FCA doesn't say you can tow every trailer with 11.5 pounds. You can only tow 11.5K pounds, if the tongue weight of that trailer, plus driver/passengers/cargo is <= 1400 pounds.

So a boat that ways 10,000 pounds would do about 5% tongue weight, = 500 pounds. Theoretically you could tow a boat at 10,000 pounds.
A Travel Trailer that ways 10,000 pounds would do about 13% tongue weight, = 1300 pounds. That's a very close stretch and would already put you over payload, but hey, some might push it anyway
A 5w that ways 10,000 pounds would do about 22% tongue weight, = 2200 pounds. With your truck, thats almost 800 to 900 pounds over your payload.

So no, FCA isn't lying when it says you can pull 10,000 pounds. But it doesn't know what you're pulling. You can pull a boat at that weight, but not a 5w.

Different trailers have different weights on your truck, you need to make sure you don't exceed the second limit of your truck, payload. And you are most definitely over that by a large amount.

So please stop thinking everyone else here is the stupid one (me, FCA etc). Also please buy a bigger truck.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow a Highland Mesa Ridge 2504BH UltraLite, that’s 29’ hitch to bumper. Weights in around 6800 (7400 max gross) with a little more than 900# tongue (per CAT Scales). My 2020 1500 5.7 eTorque w/air and 3.92 pulls it well (I think 3.21 would be fine too). I use a Recurve R6 WDH sway control hitch, camera on the TT rear and Dill Trailer TPMS. Also, i always replace the tires with Goodyear Endurance (load range E) tires (buy American!), and am happy to pull with this setup anywhere.

This particular TT has a private master bedroom w/full queen, one pop out with large table that flattens for a queen air bed, and two full bunks. Second door direct access to the full bath is handy, nice kit, and the roof is walkable (stargazing or spectating), Also, its a bit high (requires 11’3” clearance): but has ground clearance that has come in handy when towing up north and using two-track dirt roads. I also have to carry an empty supplemental potable water tank on wheels, as my crew can’t survive on 51 gallons fresh (I put in a Truma continuous hot water heater that is SO nice after a day of dusty dirt biking :) )

Before I purchased my 1500, I towed this rig with a bunch of Enterprise Truck rentals: 1500 Classic, a F150, an F250, a 19 RAM 1500 DT, and a 2019 2500. Also drove a 20 2500. The 1500 DT with air and MFT was the sweet spot, by being comfortable towing my setup, not to big or truck-ish and being an excellent family car, livable commuter. I would trade a couple inches of Crew Cab back seat for more bed, but not too much, as the Quad cab rear is too small and seat too straight up. I do know that the Only time I’d be happy with a 250/2500 would be when towing - all the other days of the year I would not.

Anyway, see if you can find something 28-32’ and under 8.5k max gross, if you want to stick to a 1/2 ton.

Last edited:

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty scary when someone says they’ve been towing for 40 years but completely ignore the payload capability of their truck.

Users who are viewing this thread