5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ford's new on-board 'scales'

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure what section this belongs in but came across this TFLtrucks video on the forthcoming option from Ford and found it very interesting. Certainly has some limitations and can't replace an actual scale in certain situations but would be a great feature to see on future Rams in my opinion.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw that too and instantly thought of all the questions/threads on here about payload capacity/am I overloading my truck/trailer tongue weight/etc. This seems like a helpful bit of tech for those scenarios (assuming it's reasonably accurate).

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw that too and instantly thought of all the questions/threads on here about payload capacity/am I overloading my truck/trailer tongue weight/etc. This seems like a helpful bit of tech for those scenarios (assuming it's reasonably accurate).
Ironically, this tech probably eats into payload 100# or more.

jastevenson

Reaction score
For hardcore truck people who use their vehicles on job sites and stuff, I think the F-150 has the Silverado and Ram beat. Lots of interesting ideas in the 2021 Ford.

Until they replace their leaf springs though, Ram will trounce the Ford in terms of day to day livability, and that’s what most truck users actually want.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure Ford includes disclaimers on accuracy. I can't see them wanting to take on the liability, e.g. "Officer, my truck said my payload was okay!"

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For hardcore truck people who use their vehicles on job sites and stuff, I think the F-150 has the Silverado and Ram beat. Lots of interesting ideas in the 2021 Ford.

Until they replace their leaf springs though, Ram will trounce the Ford in terms of day to day livability, and that’s what most truck users actually want.

Well, the Silverado/Sierra and F-Series have typically outsold RAM for a long time, so it hasn't really been a hindrance for them in still sticking with leaf springs for the majority of buyers. With with the next Raptor going multi-link, I suspect we aren't far away from regular F-series going in that direction. With Ford & GM having electric offerings coming on-line in the next few years, expect a jump to IRS as well.

19 North

Reaction score
For people with air ride it should be fairly simple to plumb in a pressure gauge that will get you pretty close. Big trucks have been doing it for years.

SpookyWatcher

Reaction score
Well don't overload your truck, break it, and expect to get a handout for it, lol. It's one thing if a dealer is lying but as a Pilot, weight and balance is important.
Weird flex. Careful you may get put in your place private pilot. or if you are on the line...You sound like the type of pilot that would be ok with cameras in the ****pit. Most of my colleagues wouldn't want that. But maybe you are management. Eh dunno.

And if you are a professional pilot... You'd know that winter weights and summer weights for standard pax weights are GROSSLY under actual. Not to mention a carryon suddenly has to be added when it has to go underneath even though it was just fine to not be counted but included in standard pax weight when it was going into the overhead.

So yeah... I'm sure the guppy has NEVER been overloaded with size of customers nowadays and their carryons. And yeah...been doing this for 25 years and at one of the majors. So I'll see your flex and raise...

ETA and the loading of the back of a truck = ac loading?? GMAFB... sheesh

Last edited:

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Weird flex. Careful you may get put in your place private pilot. or if you are on the line...You sound like the type of pilot that would be ok with cameras in the ****pit. Most of my colleagues wouldn't want that. But maybe you are management. Eh dunno.

And if you are a professional pilot... You'd know that winter weights and summer weights for standard pax weights are GROSSLY under actual. Not to mention a carryon suddenly has to be added when it has to go underneath even though it was just fine to not be counted but included in standard pax weight when it was going into the overhead.

So yeah... I'm sure the guppy has NEVER been overloaded with size of customers nowadays and their carryons. And yeah...been doing this for 25 years and at one of the majors. So I'll see your flex and raise...
Commercial but yeah, mgmt side. You sound like the SW boomer who hotmiced his opinion to Tower a few months ago lol. And yes, that's why it's called Balance. Pax weights are always included regardless. There's such thing as mean weight ya know. Doesn't matter if 1 day you got 100 pax that avg out to 200 lbs per person and the next, the avg is 250. Only difference is lbs of fuel burned. Why do you think MTOW is a thing? Avg's are already figured in to those load sheets. Your complacency is why the NTSB is a thing. And 25 years, wow must be getting close to that mandatory retirement age.

SpookyWatcher

Reaction score
So if I have 175 customers and all together them and their carryon bags averaged out exceed the standard weight (which definitely happens)... You're actually trying to tell me that it's not exceeding the MTOW cause of " muh averages" and it's a matter of fuel burn now. Damm son... Hope you get better at this. Seriously... Is it legal. Sure. Do we all know that's gonna be a pig at Vr when we see customers like this loading up w/ tons of gas. Yup.

Luckily I've never been bit by the hot mic. But let he / she that hath not sinned cast the first stone. Side note... Was he wrong? :p

and 25 years with spotless career... Complacent...Hardly. But nice try

Wanna know how tell who is the pilot at the party?? Don't worry he'll tell you!

And I can't wait to retire. My career does not define me.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if I have 175 customers and all together them and their carryon bags averaged out exceed the standard weight (which definitely happens)... You're actually trying to tell me that it's not exceeding the MTOW cause of " muh averages" and it's a matter of fuel burn now. Damm son... Hope you get better at this. Seriously... Is it legal. Sure. Do we all know that's gonna be a pig at Vr when we see customers like this loading up w/ tons of gas. Yup.

Luckily I've never been bit by the hot mic. But let he / she that hath not sinned cast the first stone. Side note... Was he wrong? :p

and 25 years with spotless career... Complacent...Hardly. But nice try

Wanna know how tell who is the pilot at the party?? Don't worry he'll tell you!

And I can't wait to retire. My career does not define me.
Literally not at all what I said, nice to see your gender neutralities though, you must be learning. And wow 25 years spotless career?! Very humble, and may I say, It's a pleasure to meet you Mr. Sullenberger. Love the stereotypical boomer clichés though. And, "muh averages", you're literally a "MUH HEMI!" kinda guy on this forum who thinks he knows everything. Also, wtf kinda plane you flying where you max out with pax weight?! A CRJ? Must be, probably why you got a Rebel while being at the 'majors'.

P.S. - Just because it says 'United' Express on the side, doesn't make it a major big boi.

Limmy.jpg

SpookyWatcher

Reaction score
Ok Mr (or Ms or Mrs) spikey haired RJ management. 🤣

We've derailed OP's thread enough. I like the idea of this new Ford feature. Could / should make a lot more people a LOT more safe by not being stupid hauling 4 tons in the bed. I just hope it doesnt' turn into a snitch. Sorta like the when the puter snitches that my newly hired spikey haired rj pilot FO just crossed faf at ref + 50 even though I warned him/her /they/them (yeah I can still learn...I'm jiggy with it) 4 miles back. ;) I could do this all day.... but OP's thread and "muh hobbies" which are helped by my newly purchased Rebel.

I'll buy dinner should we ever meet on an overnight!

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok Mr (or Ms or Mrs) spikey haired RJ management. 🤣

We've derailed OP's thread enough. I like the idea of this new Ford feature. Could / should make a lot more people a LOT more safe by not being stupid hauling 4 tons in the bed. I just hope it doesnt' turn into a snitch. Sorta like the when the puter snitches that my newly hired spikey haired rj pilot just crossed faf at ref + 50 even though I warned him/her /they/them (yeah I can still learn...I'm jiggy with it) 4 miles back. ;) I could do this all day.... but OP's thread and "muh hobbies" which are helped by my newly purchased Rebel.

I'll buy dinner should we ever meet on an overnight!
Spiky hair hahahaah, how'd ya know?! It's 2006 again bro. Here I am when I decided to leave dentistry. Realized there were too many people with chronic BS coming out their mouths. I invite you to join that field though, seems like it fits you. I apologize OP, moral of the story, yes Ford's new system is ok. But if you overload it, that's the operator's fault.

Spiky Hair.jpg

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey I'm happy for you guys, and, I'mma let you finish, but @securityguy and I had the best joust on this site of all time.

9515192dW.jpg

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
(I had to, I had to, I'm sorry)

But for real!
For real.
Lemme be the 3rd party to say, that was a good old fashioned regulation scrap!

...and that on board scales sounds pretty neat!
I look forward to seeing what tech the automakers offer in the next few years, the non-government mandated kind, that is.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spiky hair hahahaah, how'd ya know?! It's 2006 again bro. Here I am when I decided to leave dentistry. Realized there were too many people with chronic BS coming out their mouths. I invite you to join that field though, seems like it fits you. I apologize OP, moral of the story, yes Ford's new system is ok. But if you overload it, that's the operator's fault.

View attachment 91753

It's looks like a wet cat toop.
Or something my dog peed on....

Users who are viewing this thread