5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ford's Answer to the TRX.....

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And for 2022 or 2023, Ram will retweak the TRX to put out the Demon's 800-ish HP, or just enough to outdo Ford. And a year or so later, Ford will outdo Ram. Wash and repeat.

GM's answer will be interesting to watch for, but Nissan appears to want to try and take a bite out of this to. Bringing back their 2016 "Warrior" concept...

Let the wars commence! :devilish:

976-HIKE

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a reliable source on the Titan Warrior getting made? I've seen a few articles from sites like the one quoted above that don't link to references and are written generated by an ESL algorithm. I assume fake news until shown otherwise.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Titan owners are mainly in it for 1 thing: Price. No way someone's going to pay the same price for a 5.0 Cummins with lower performance from Nissan as they would a Raptor or TRX.

There's a reason I switched to Ram from my Titan. Nissan wanted to charge the same amount of money for less features. They won't give you a price on their builder without putting in contact info, but the Pro4X starts at a $1500 higher price than a Rebel for less features and a garbage interior.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And for 2022 or 2023, Ram will retweak the TRX to put out the Demon's 800-ish HP, or just enough to outdo Ford. And a year or so later, Ford will outdo Ram. Wash and repeat.
While I can see Ram digging into the existing parts bin to grab a Demon (or variant), Ford doesn't have another motor to 1-up Ram again. Would they spend the (huge) amount of money to do so for a very niche market? I doubt that. In my opinion, they'd be much better off introducing an all-electric torque monster, as FCA has no answer to that right now.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I can see Ram digging into the existing parts bin to grab a Demon (or variant), Ford doesn't have another motor to 1-up Ram again. Would they spend the (huge) amount of money to do so for a very niche market? I doubt that. In my opinion, they'd be much better off introducing an all-electric torque monster, as FCA has no answer to that right now.
The EV F-150 is going to be ready by then with their partnership with Rivian.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nissan discontinued the Cummins anyway so it's GONE! I have never been a Titan fan and thought the quality and amenities lacked that of the big dogs.

Tom488

Reaction score
they'd be much better off introducing an all-electric torque monster, as FCA has no answer to that right now.
And I can already see the commercial. Two neighbors, with adjacent driveways. Guy #1 jumps in his TRX, hits the start button, and the Hellcat Demon rumbles to life, rattling windows, scaring little children. He turns to his neighbor, and smiles as if to say, "what'cha got under the hood?". Neighbor jumps in his Electraptor, pushes the start button, and... <insert 80's arcade game sound of Pac-man getting eaten by a ghost>. TRX dude shakes his head in disgust, and rumbles off into the sunset.

If that gets made, I want a royalty.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And I can already see the commercial. Two neighbors, with adjacent driveways. Guy #1 jumps in his TRX, hits the start button, and the Hellcat Demon rumbles to life, rattling windows, scaring little children. He turns to his neighbor, and smiles as if to say, "what'cha got under the hood?". Neighbor jumps in his Electraptor, pushes the start button, and... <insert 80's arcade game sound of Pac-man getting eaten by a ghost>. TRX dude shakes his head in disgust, and rumbles off into the sunset.

While I love everything about that, I fear the Ford version would show the "Electraptor" looking like a TRON Light Cycle as it quietly rockets past the "TR-XXX" :)

Interesting times ahead!

sdog

Reaction score

So I was at a friend's exotic car dealership yesterday and they had a GT500 that they were flipping and I decided to take it out for a drive. I don't think I've ever been more unimpressed by a sports car, other than it sounding good it is by all measures a bloated pig to drive. Not sure where the 700+ hp is but it felt relatively slow and super sluggish, even in its sportiest driving mode you could rev the throttle a quarter of the way down in D without the car moving forward. It was absolutely awful ... why these things are selling over sticker is beyond me. And this is coming from a fan of high displacement low raving American V8s ... one of my favorite cars I've owned was the 15 Z/28. If must have Ford buy a slightly used GT350R and have ten times the fun at half the price.

Anyway, I'm sure the Raptor will sell great with that engine in it but based on numbers on paper only, because that engine is plss poor for what it's supposed to be, at lest the way it is delivered in the GT500.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I was at a friend's exotic car dealership yesterday and they had a GT500 that they were flipping and I decided to take it out for a drive. I don't think I've ever been more unimpressed by a sports car, other than it sounding good it is by all measures a bloated pig to drive. Not sure where the 700+ hp is but it felt relatively slow and super sluggish, even in its sportiest driving mode you could rev the throttle a quarter of the way down in D without the car moving forward. It was absolutely awful ... why these things are selling over sticker is beyond me. And this is coming from a fan of high displacement low raving American V8s ... one of my favorite cars I've owned was the 15 Z/28. If must have Ford buy a slightly used GT350R and have ten times the fun at half the price.

Anyway, I'm sure the Raptor will sell great with that engine in it but based on numbers on paper only, because that engine is plss poor for what it's supposed to be, at lest the way it is delivered in the GT500.
Interesting...have you driven the C8 Vette yet?

sdog

Reaction score
Interesting...have you driven the C8 Vette yet?

I have, it drives fantastic, power delivery, throttle response, transmission, handling, are all great, everything the GT500 isn't ... I find the design very clunky though.

I had a C7 Z06 and a C7 Z06 Callaway .... I'm hoping the added aero bits on the C8 Z06 will balance out the lines a little more.

An unholy bred Raptor with a Z06 powertrain would be much better than a raptor with a GT500 one. :)

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Waiting for GM to throw in a Vett engine into a trail boss with a 8 speed auto. Maybe supercharge it too. Titan warrior actually looks pretty badA$$ lol.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Waiting for GM to throw in a Vett engine into a trail boss with a 8 speed auto. Maybe supercharge it too. Titan warrior actually looks pretty badA$$ lol.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if GM comes along—right about the time that FCA is done making the TRX and Ford has shifted to electric vehicles—and drops the hammer with a "late to the party" monster. They've done it before. They've just been late to go to market with some of their best vehicles, making for lower production runs and less profit.

(I exclude Corvette from this completely. That's like an entirely separate company.)

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It's probably got "torque management" (preventing you from having all 700hp off idle, to prevent you from roasting the tires.)

I think this is something Ram got right with the TRX - how in the hell were they going to get 700hp to the ground on a rear wheel drive truck? You can roast the tires with 400hp. 700+?
They did it with a lot of cool tricks, including fulltime 4x4 and one really simple one. It's big and heavy. That does help keep the power to the ground, that was supposedly part of the magic for how the hellcat in the challenger was born. They realized their "big heavy car" with its long wheelbase, could actually get a lot of horsepower to the ground, and they went with it.

For putting 700hp into their lightweight raptor - either they're going to have to make it heavier, or use torque management to get the power to the ground and prevent the tires from spinning on launch. I suspect it will be the second one.

I'm not an expert or anything, but I suspect the 0-60 times will be "surprisingly close". the reviewers confused.
"It's got slightly more horsepower and it's lighter, but it's NOT much faster to 60 like we would expect, and it doesn't feel as fast?"
Torque. Management.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

One of the funniest posts I've read on here, bar none.

The electroraptor would have fun Ad, the 0-60 and all that would be excellent, Ram returns fire with their own:

1minute commercial of just engine notes and running footage.
Guy pulls into a gas station, fills it up, looks at his dash computer
"Trip computer: 450miles
450 miles to empty"

He pulls away, electroraptor plugged into a loud little generator sitting in the parking lot as the TRX thunders on.

EV Raptor driver: "Don't worry hun, hopefully the trail will still be open when we get there. I think."
Wife rolls eyes.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I don’t know if they do but could they have something similar to the hellcat cars with the 1 key giving you all the power and the other cutting the power way down ? Maybe a valet setting or something ?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I remember Matt Farah driving the GT500 and he thought it was the first Mustang to truly feel like it was putting down the stated power. I think there is a valet mode type situation with the GT500, because anyone I know who has driven it have stated it was insane.

Users who are viewing this thread