5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ford Owner But Like Rebel

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've owned an f150 for 10years and am considering a new truck. I love the Raptor, but find the price and pure off road nature of it somewhat unnecessary for my needs.

The rebel looks great, has that aggressive look, and is more reasonable priced and may fit my needs better.

Questions I have:

1. Does the rebel 12 have dual power front seats?

2. Where are the 19 speakers located? I'm an audio guy and am trying to figure where they even are placed.

3. I live in ND. Is the air ride a problem in the cold? Is there a better ride with them? Trying to figure out if it's worth it.

I'm leaning away from etorque. The mileage increase seems small and from my calculations for usage would take nearly 8-10 yrs to break even on the cost.

S

Smashy71

I've owned an f150 for 10years and am considering a new truck. I love the Raptor, but find the price and pure off road nature of it somewhat unnecessary for my needs.

The rebel looks great, has that aggressive look, and is more reasonable priced and may fit my needs better.

Questions I have:

1. Does the rebel 12 have dual power front seats?

2. Where are the 19 speakers located? I'm an audio guy and am trying to figure where they even are placed.

3. I live in ND. Is the air ride a problem in the cold? Is there a better ride with them? Trying to figure out if it's worth it.

I'm leaning away from etorque. The mileage increase seems small and from my calculations for usage would take nearly 8-10 yrs to break even on the cost.
I currently live in north Idaho and have no problems with air suspension. I would pass on the etorque not worth the extra 1600 and most folks with the rebel etorque are getting the same mileage as me with non etorque. Currently 15.4 average tank. I’m not sure about passenger powered seat on the rebel 12. Plus I went with standard speaker setup and I’m not sure about speaker placement either. That’s my two cents.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
The rebel 12 does add power passenger seat.

E torque, correct. The break even is a loong time. I haven't seen any proof it actually helps mpg anyway.

ibang1

Reaction score
My last two trucks were F150. The last one was a 2015 Platinum. I now have a Rebel and I have no regrets but kinda wished I still had the front camera and remote tailgate.

Yes, both front seats have power seats.

I have the 9 speaker so I can’t tell you the placements.

I’m in MD and I get up very early in the mornings when it’s cold but it hasn’t gotten to freezing yet. Ride is great and smooth. I was once driving down the highway and I looked over at my wife. Her head shooked like a bobble head. I though I was driving on a bad patch of highway. Wife mentioned the seats were a lot firmer and supportive compared to the Platinum.

I happened to look down at my dash and my air setting was set at ‘exit/entry’. The air setting was at the lowest. No wonder my wife shooked so much. We both laughed at each other. I then got the truck in Aero and the ride was a lot smoother.

I also passed on the etorque.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was concerned regarding gen 1 air suspension problems. I have not hit -20 here yet but so far it has been working flawlessly. Ps I hate ford but had been looking at the new Raptor and this truck. I would bet 99.9 percent of people who have purchased a Raptor have never used a tenth of its capabilities. I have done some average off road with this truck with its stock tires / suspension And E locker it’s a very capable truck that is miles nicer inside than a Raptor. I really like the exterior of the Raptor though.

19Jake

Reaction score
switched to a REBEL 12 :)
passed on eTorque & air suspension
F150 platform/interior is past it's due date
IMG_2544.JPG
IMG_2547.JPG
IMG_2545.JPG

Last edited:

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Exactly my feelings on the Raptor. Love the looks but I'm not jumping any roads on my way to work in the morning. My f150 has been such a solid truck with the exception of some rocker panel rust, so was pretty solid on another but can't figure out why they don't spec the fx4 or others with a bit more off-road look.

The Rebel has a nice blend of tech and off-road capability and looks without having to pony up 5k in after market accessories or 12k for the raptor.

The missing front camera is an error by FCA. I think they should have that at least as an option. Also kind of wish the just had leather seats as an option without the 12 inch display. I kind of like knobs. :).

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
switched to a REBEL 12 (y)
passed on eTorque & air suspension (n)
View attachment 11519
View attachment 11518
View attachment 11520
Thanks for the side by side. Both are nice. Front end of the raptor sure is sexy. Otherwise, I think I like the ram as much. How was your mileage between the two?

I think comparing the two can be a bit off to certain extent given the Raptor is in a different off road capacity league. Maybe the Rousche f150 is closer, which I also like but it's a 10k upcharge for mostly cosmetics. I would think spec to spec the Rebel is considerably less.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A Rebel 12 with no eTorque and no air ride is the way to go. The speakers are in roughly the same locations, they just add more tweeters and mids, then count them as 'more' speakers. Talk about advertising on a technicality!

The difference between the coil suspension on the 5th Gen and the air ride is negligible in my opinion. Besides, it's not the first or second winter, it's the 3rd winter when the air ride will let you down in the extreme cold.

There will be air ride owners that pop in and tell you their truck is awesome and they're in Arizona... no problem. It's your dime. 5th Gen coil suspension is first class and super smooth. That's 365/24-7, not in warm weather only.

Have fun in your new Rebel 12, regardless what you decide.

19Jake

Reaction score
REBEL 12 w/NO eTorque & NO air ride is the way to go. Coil suspension's 1st class & super smooth 365/24-7, not in warm weather only.
ya nailed it Vader
eTorque :poop:...warranty nightmare not ready for prime time (n)

19Rebel19

Reaction score
The air ride will allow an additional inch when off roading. It will has an Aero mode which helps with the meager MPGs it gets and will lower when getting in/out. It will also auto level due to loading.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info. All very helpful.

So basically they are just dropping in 2 and 3 way speakers and then calling them a whole additional speaker. Yes that's some serious marketing. What size sub does it have? And where is it located?

I was definitely leaning towards no air ride. Simple is better many times and it gets dang cold where I'm at. Tend to keep my vehicles for a long time so less potential problems is good.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So basically they are just dropping in 2 and 3 way speakers and then calling them a whole additional speaker. Yes that's some serious marketing. What size sub does it have? And where is it located?
I don't see where you're getting that from any post in this thread. That's not accurate.

...and it's a 10" sub behind the passenger side back seat.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Make sure you order the 33 gallon tank....a must have! Mine has every option except etorque, block heater, and Ram boxes. I love this truck. I loaded 25 bags of wood pellets for pellet stove (40 lbs each), so exactly 1,000 pounds, or 1/2 ton in a 1/2 ton truck. It stayed absolutely at same ride height, and drove the same as if it was empty. ( I didn't hot rod, but just drove routinely with traffic.) This truck does what 3/4 tons used to do yet drives and rides like a luxury SUV. It makes my old truck 2004 Dodge Cummins Laramie 2500 quad cab 4x4 loaded with only 63,000 miles feel like it's a rough riding farm truck with vague steering. And I've loved that truck since I bought it new!!! :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_3406.JPG
    IMG_3406.JPG
    594.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3291.JPG
    IMG_3291.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3294.JPG
    IMG_3294.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3295.JPG
    IMG_3295.JPG