5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ford 5.0 VS Dodge 5.7

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I pull
Oh boy. We're heading from South Jersey to Pigeon Forge area TN in April and planning on towing the motorcycles out there in the enclosed 20' V-nose. Planning on it being in the 7k lbs loaded range, but haven't had it to the scales yet. Should be fun.. that's what warranties are for right?
I pull a 22’ enclosed car trailer which weighs close to 8k pounds loaded with no problem. Motor, coolant and trans temp never raise above normal even when driving through the hills of PA with outside temps over 100 degrees. I have pushed my trucks pretty hard for a half ton and have never had an issue.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
That lightweight aluminum body loses the race when it comes to a quality ride though. My 2018 F-150 felt too light. Not a good feeling when you're driving a truck.
The RAM rides so much smoother. Ford can keep their winning HP to Weight ratio.
Ditto. Also sold my 2018 F-150 for Ram 1500👍🏾

Ram Dude

Reaction score
The Ford 5.0L makes 400 hp / 410 ft-lb torque, the RAM 5.7L makes 395 hp / 410 ft-lb torque. So actually the Ford motor is more powerful by 5 hp and same torque.

The big difference is the weight, anywhere from 400 - 700 lbs lighter on the F150 depending on configuration. Not sure how to compare the transmission and gearing however.

I think the ride difference between the two isn't the weight, I think it has more to due with the suspension, the coil overs in the rear is the real reason for the better ride. My 2.7L Ecoboost will honestly smoke my Hemi, but the Hemi is fast enough and the sound quality gives it a sense of occasion a turbo V6 doesn't have.
True assessment.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Ford 5.0L makes 400 hp / 410 ft-lb torque, the RAM 5.7L makes 395 hp / 410 ft-lb torque. So actually the Ford motor is more powerful by 5 hp and same torque.
Those are great numbers for a 5.0. I’d like to see an overlay of the horsepower and torque curves from both engines. It would be surprising, as others have said, if the smaller engine didn’t have to rev more and hit those numbers in a narrow powerband.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hemi Has better low end torque and wider powerband.that more than makes up for the weight difference. Then there’s the comfort aspect of it. Dodge wins again. Doesn’t sound like a Coors Light can on wheels going down the road.
Those are great numbers for a 5.0. I’d like to see an overlay of the horsepower and torque curves from both engines. It would be surprising, as others have said, if the smaller engine didn’t have to rev more and hit those numbers in a narrow powerband.

The Hemi does have a small advantage in towing when compared to the 5.0L, which probably lends to the Hemi having a better powerband. I also would like to find a powerband overlay.
However the Hemi is rated lower compared to the 3.5L TT in towing.

The 5.7L is essentially designed & marketed to be the middle ground between engines from it's competition. Stronger than the GM 5.3L & Ford 2.7L, but weaker than the GM 6.2L & Ford 3.5L. However its priced right around where those lower engines are which makes it a good value.

As for Ford's 5.0L, it's only there for the "V8" guys who must have a V8 in their trucks. Ford rather not even offer it, it places it's 3.5L Ecoboost ahead of that motor both in towing capabilities and price. I mean for 2021, the 3.5L makes 400 hp & 500 lbs-ft of torque w/ tow rating of up to 14,000 lbs! In comparison, the GM 6.2L makes 420 hp / 460 lbs-ft and up to 13,300 lbs towing. Kinda funny both the GM & Ford share the same 10-speed automatic.

Last edited:

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
My dad as a 5.0 Ford. My take on the comparison is that the Ford seems "detuned" as compared to my RAM. The Ford always seems to be trying to shift in the highest gear possible keeping the RPMs low. As was mentioned, the 5.0 makes some respectable power at higher RPMs, but it feels like the truck never wants to get there. When I drive his truck I use the gear limiter quite a bit to achieve the driving experience I'm looking for. My RAM (even when stock) seems to create a more performance oriented driving experience. The Hemi just wants to run! And it doesn't take much encouragement to get it to do so!

Yes, there are trucks with more horsepower than our RAMs. Yes, there are trucks with more gears in the transmission. Yes, there are trucks that will run a quicker quarter mile. But, for my taste, the RAM provides the best driving experience.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dad as a 5.0 Ford. My take on the comparison is that the Ford seems "detuned" as compared to my RAM. The Ford always seems to be trying to shift in the highest gear possible keeping the RPMs low. As was mentioned, the 5.0 makes some respectable power at higher RPMs, but it feels like the truck never wants to get there. When I drive his truck I use the gear limiter quite a bit to achieve the driving experience I'm looking for. My RAM (even when stock) seems to create a more performance oriented driving experience. The Hemi just wants to run! And it doesn't take much encouragement to get it to do so!

Yes, there are trucks with more horsepower than our RAMs. Yes, there are trucks with more gears in the transmission. Yes, there are trucks that will run a quicker quarter mile. But, for my taste, the RAM provides the best driving experience.
Totally agree. The Ford's I had always seem to want to lug the engine around 1,100 rpms unless you really push the pedal down. They were always 1 to 2 gears too high with the 10spd for both the 5.0L and the 3.5L EB.

Ram Dude

Reaction score

Amen to that brother! Well said.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I think the manufacturers are getting just a bit crazy with: "I mean for 2021, the 3.5L makes 400 hp & 500 lbs-ft of torque w/ tow rating of up to 14,000 lbs! In comparison..."

An F150 or a 1500 really has no business pulling that kind of weight, especially if it is a 5ver or a TT with the front sail wind loading. (A flatbed or boat trailer is different). While I'm still good with people towing a 7 or 8K trailer with their properly set up and spec'd 1500 at times, this unceasing climb of gcvwr is getting out of hand. When the trailer is longer and weighs more than the tow vehicle you start to have some real issues with emergency maneuvers and braking.

This from: https://www.doubledtrailers.com/dan...o-determine-if-you-are-hauling-a-safe-weight/
(Begin copied portion of article)

Don’t Make This Common Mistake When Looking at Towing Ratings

"It’s simple - don’t assume you are hauling a safe load until you have considered all of the factors in your towing set up. If you know that your vehicle has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 9,000 lbs and your new trailer model weighs only 6,000 lbs, don’t assume you are ‘good to go.’ This is the most common mistake made by consumers and can lead to some dangerous situations.

"What happens is that vehicle manufacturers tend to brag about how much their trucks can pull or tow, but they generally fall really short when it comes to the capacity of the hitch and the tongue weight the hitch is capable of carrying,” Brad explained. (Emphasis mine)

This is like having a large suitcase made of the strongest material in the world. It is capable of holding an enormous amount of weight, but when you try to pick it up, the handle breaks immediately.

“Remember that the load is only as safe as the weakest link. If you have a vehicle that can haul 12,000 lbs but the hitch is only rated to carry 500 lbs, you better not have any more than 500 lbs on the tongue weight or you are running the risk of getting into a serious accident!”

...he is looking at a new total weight of 6,800 lbs. His Ford F-150 has a towing capacity of 9,000 lbs. Brad chuckled, “So you would think we’re in great shape, right?”

In reality, this is a poorly matched truck and trailer. The hitch on Michael’s truck has a max gross weight of only 5,000 lbs and a max tongue weight of only 500 lbs. “Why in the world a manufacturer like Ford would create a truck that can haul 9,000 lbs, and then put a hitch on the back that can only handle 5,000 lbs and a tongue weight of 500 lbs is beyond me,” Brad exclaimed.

Even a weight distribution system on the hitch would not be enough to pull the trailer safely. The capacity with a weight distribution hitch increases to 10,500 lbs max towing weight, but the maximum tongue weight is still only 1,050 lbs. A weight distribution system on a hitch helps a vehicle handle a larger hauling load by taking some of the weight off of the tongue and distributing it onto the other axles."

(End copied portion of article)

The other issue is the limitation in your owners manual on the trailer's frontal sail area, often 60sf. Frontal area limitations are primarily tied to GCWR. The stated GCWR for your tow vehicle assumes the frontal area of your rig is less than the frontal area limit stated in the owners manual. The more frontal area, the more aerodynamic drag your rig has, requiring more power and torque to drag that big wind sail through the air.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Here's an appropriate YT, start it at 5:00 in and you can stop at 8:00. Great for those new/newer to towing.
Entitled: RV Crash Towing Mistakes Jack-knifed Camper

BadBoy345

Reaction score

Couldn't agree more 💯

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the manufacturers are getting just a bit crazy with: "I mean for 2021, the 3.5L makes 400 hp & 500 lbs-ft of torque w/ tow rating of up to 14,000 lbs! In comparison..."

An F150 or a 1500 really has no business pulling that kind of weight, especially if it is a 5ver or a TT with the front sail wind loading. (A flatbed or boat trailer is different). While I'm still good with people towing a 7 or 8K trailer with their properly set up and spec'd 1500 at times, this unceasing climb of gcvwr is getting out of hand. When the trailer is longer and weighs more than the tow vehicle you start to have some real issues with emergency maneuvers and braking.

This from: Are You Hauling a Safe Weight? Simple Checks to Know if Your Truck Can Haul Your Trailer Safely
(Begin copied portion of article)

Don’t Make This Common Mistake When Looking at Towing Ratings

"It’s simple - don’t assume you are hauling a safe load until you have considered all of the factors in your towing set up. If you know that your vehicle has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 9,000 lbs and your new trailer model weighs only 6,000 lbs, don’t assume you are ‘good to go.’ This is the most common mistake made by consumers and can lead to some dangerous situations.

"What happens is that vehicle manufacturers tend to brag about how much their trucks can pull or tow, but they generally fall really short when it comes to the capacity of the hitch and the tongue weight the hitch is capable of carrying,” Brad explained. (Emphasis mine)

This is like having a large suitcase made of the strongest material in the world. It is capable of holding an enormous amount of weight, but when you try to pick it up, the handle breaks immediately.

“Remember that the load is only as safe as the weakest link. If you have a vehicle that can haul 12,000 lbs but the hitch is only rated to carry 500 lbs, you better not have any more than 500 lbs on the tongue weight or you are running the risk of getting into a serious accident!”

...he is looking at a new total weight of 6,800 lbs. His Ford F-150 has a towing capacity of 9,000 lbs. Brad chuckled, “So you would think we’re in great shape, right?”

In reality, this is a poorly matched truck and trailer. The hitch on Michael’s truck has a max gross weight of only 5,000 lbs and a max tongue weight of only 500 lbs. “Why in the world a manufacturer like Ford would create a truck that can haul 9,000 lbs, and then put a hitch on the back that can only handle 5,000 lbs and a tongue weight of 500 lbs is beyond me,” Brad exclaimed.

Even a weight distribution system on the hitch would not be enough to pull the trailer safely. The capacity with a weight distribution hitch increases to 10,500 lbs max towing weight, but the maximum tongue weight is still only 1,050 lbs. A weight distribution system on a hitch helps a vehicle handle a larger hauling load by taking some of the weight off of the tongue and distributing it onto the other axles."

(End copied portion of article)

The other issue is the limitation in your owners manual on the trailer's frontal sail area, often 60sf. Frontal area limitations are primarily tied to GCWR. The stated GCWR for your tow vehicle assumes the frontal area of your rig is less than the frontal area limit stated in the owners manual. The more frontal area, the more aerodynamic drag your rig has, requiring more power and torque to drag that big wind sail through the air.
I totally agree. These ratings are getting stupid. My truck was rated to tow over 10k pounds. I pull a 7500-8000 lb trailer and wouldn’t even consider pulling more than that. With that said, even the heavy duty trucks are getting carried away. If you have to pull 40k pounds it may be time to get a semi

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

I have a 5.0 F150 sport for a work truck. It's a complete turd compared to my Ram.

JExpedition07

Reaction score
Older thread but here is a torque overlay of the Ford 5.0 vs Ram 5.7 based on the manufacturers crankshaft curve plots.

The 5.0 is a modern/advanced engine and is now on its 4th generation for 2021+, utilizing a 12:1 compression ratio, dual PFDI fuel injection, and Ti-VCT (twin independent variable came timing). The end result is indeed a smaller displacement V8 that makes more power than larger pushrod engines.

FORD 5.0L V8:
400 HP @6,000 RPM
410 lb ft @4,250 RPM

RAM 5.7L HEMI:
395 HP @5,600 RPM
410 lb ft @3,950 RPM

Ford and Ram Power Overlay.png
IMG_4542.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread