5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For Those that had their Front Fender Removed for a Water Leak

jth877

Reaction score
I have the typical front fender leak into the drivers foot well area. The STAR case instructions for the dealer say to remove the fender to seal the body seam underneath. I've noticed that the fender has a painted tab and bolt up behind the mirror to hold it on. I don't want that to look horrible when the work is done.

For those that have had the repair, how does it look? It looks like it would be very hard to remove that fastener and not chip/crack the paint.

Attachments

• 20210706_082928.jpg
    20210706_082928.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

jth877

Reaction score
With all the front body seam leaks no one can comment about front fender removal?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Most leaks occur at the back of the cab. Brake light, rear window frame and shark fin are the big three problem areas

jth877

Reaction score
It was extremely common 2019, 2020. STAR case # S1923000026.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210624-094753_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210624-094753_Chrome.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 95

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine leaked (see my previous posts about it with all the photos of the 2 inches of water in that same area, @jth877 )and I worked at the dealership .. the manager wanted me to remove my own fender to complete the Star Case == said, nope .. not after reading it and I'm not a body shop tech. There was another item they were supposed to attempt first PRIOR to removing the fender -- that was the last resort.

I know on mine, I was able to remove the little plastic/rubber molding at the lower edge of the windshield and reset it -- that fixed the leak for a bit. I get more water out of the mic now because I forget to clean out the front left drain tube during the Spring.

jth877

Reaction score
Mine leaked (see my previous posts about it with all the photos of the 2 inches of water in that same area, @jth877 )and I worked at the dealership .. the manager wanted me to remove my own fender to complete the Star Case == said, nope .. not after reading it and I'm not a body shop tech. There was another item they were supposed to attempt first PRIOR to removing the fender -- that was the last resort.

I know on mine, I was able to remove the little plastic/rubber molding at the lower edge of the windshield and reset it -- that fixed the leak for a bit. I get more water out of the mic now because I forget to clean out the front left drain tube during the Spring.

Thank you! So you never removed the fender.... I'm think I can get in there with a wand and seam seal it especially if I can get that rubber corner piece off. How does that come off? Just pry up and pull?

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, the first trail is to try that prior to removing the fender if I remember correctly. That foam-rubber piece just pulls out.

jth877

Reaction score
Found today where the leak is coming from on the inside. It's dripping out of a hole that is for securing the wiring harness. I ran water between the two inner fender panels. Now I understand why they need to take the fender off.

Attachments

• 20210710_143851.jpg
    20210710_143851.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 152

jth877

Reaction score
It's fixed. I gave a new dealer, who is new to me and not the incompetent dealer where I purchased the truck from, all of my research on my front fender leak including the star case.

The service writer advised the shop on my concerns. They were able to seal the leak WITHOUT removing the fender! I had the truck back the day after the repair. 2 days total. Very happy and I let them know.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't leak, never heard of this issue
I remember reading posts around the end of 2019 from people who had this leak. Seemed to mostly affect 2019 quad cabs. I remember feeling safe from this issue since I had a 2020 CC at the time.
It's fixed. I gave a new dealer, who is new to me and not the incompetent dealer where I purchased the truck from, all of my research on my front fender leak including the star case.

The service writer advised the shop on my concerns. They were able to seal the leak WITHOUT removing the fender! I had the truck back the day after the repair. 2 days total. Very happy and I let them know.
Glad to hear it's fixed! Thanks for the update.

Scram1500

Reaction score

Need to read more stories about positive dealer experiences👍

Bbrown

Reaction score
Thank you! So you never removed the fender.... I'm think I can get in there with a wand and seam seal it especially if I can get that rubber corner piece off. How does that come off? Just pry up and pull?
Was you able to fix with out fender removal

JCR1500

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Bighorn and I've just recently had this leak happen. I pulled the backseats and checked the vents and they were dry and its not my 3rd brake light so I think its coming from the seams. jth877 what did you do to seal the seam so it doesn't leak anymore without pulling the fender?

Thanks.

6of36

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Bighorn and I've just recently had this leak happen. I pulled the backseats and checked the vents and they were dry and its not my 3rd brake light so I think its coming from the seams. jth877 what did you do to seal the seam so it doesn't leak anymore without pulling the fender?

Thanks.
The leak in this thread is a leak in front, at the dash, not the rear. The rear leak is probably the all too common rear window frame.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
How do you know it's coming from the front? Have you seen water coming in somewhere? I'm not saying yours isn't leaking at the front, but we just went through the cracked rear window frame issue on our 2020 Limited. It took out the RF hub which made the truck an expensive three ton boat anchor. Three months later we got it back from the dealership in working order, and an new rear window on order. The weird thing was I thought it was a leak in the front of the cab as well. The carpet under the driver's floor mat was wet and starting to mold. And I noticed condensation under the dash when I was under there removing the Taser DT before delivering it to the dealership. The inside of the windshield was also covered with a heavy amount of condensation, but the other windows had none. After diagnosis by a leak expert, there is no leak in the front of the cab. The water was coming in at the back window, somehow migrating to the front footwell and condensing under the dash and inside of the windshield. I wouldn't rule anything out. Water leaks are weird.

JCR1500

Reaction score
I have not found the source yet. Maybe this weekend I can setup my garden hose on the roof running water on the back window and front window while having the carpet pulled back to see if I can find the location.

Mhons

Reaction score
How do you know it's coming from the front? Have you seen water coming in somewhere? I'm not saying yours isn't leaking at the front, but we just went through the cracked rear window frame issue on our 2020 Limited. It took out the RF hub which made the truck an expensive three ton boat anchor. Three months later we got it back from the dealership in working order, and an new rear window on order. The weird thing was I thought it was a leak in the front of the cab as well. The carpet under the driver's floor mat was wet and starting to mold. And I noticed condensation under the dash when I was under there removing the Taser DT before delivering it to the dealership. The inside of the windshield was also covered with a heavy amount of condensation, but the other windows had none. After diagnosis by a leak expert, there is no leak in the front of the cab. The water was coming in at the back window, somehow migrating to the front footwell and condensing under the dash and inside of the windshield. I wouldn't rule anything out. Water leaks are weird.
Hi, I just had my 2021 BigHorn towed last Wed. Same thing Fobs no go and when opening the door with key I had alarms .My dealer said I have to wait for it to be determined if it's a warranty issue. before I can get a rental.? Like u said 60000 boat anchor. Did u know about the class action suit. I wonder if it is worth joining. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread