5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

?? For the Lowered Crowd

2020SilverMidnight

Reaction score
I have looked all over, even contacted several of the drop kit manufacturers, and I can't get a definitive answer from them. So, what I am wanting to know is about mixing components from other manufacturers to achieve a 2/4 drop on my 2020 Bighorn 4wd. I have already lowered the rear 2" to level it up and while it didn't achieve a true level stance, it does look much better than the rake.

I know MaxTrac makes an actual kit for these trucks to get 2/4, but everybody I have talked to hates the 4" rear drop they have. IHC makes a 4" drop spring that comes with sway bar end links and new bump stops, but no shocks. https://ihcsuspension.com/product/belltech-4-rear-drop-springs-need-to-be-cut-down-to-5-6-7-drops Has anybody used these with or without the factory shocks? What do you honestly think about them? Too harsh, too soft? I don't want to go lower, 2/4 is about perfect for this truck in my opinion. I don't tow or haul anything, but I still want to be able to if I have to.

Scarriere

Reaction score
I’m still waiting for a kit for my 2020 4X4.
5th gen has been out awhile and I don’t understand why there isn’t anything yet.

like you said, some have pieced together something that works and I wish I’d followed along.

Hopefully there’ll be a kit sometime soon.

soSincerious

Reaction score
If you can live with rake (or like it as I do) then I'd recommend 2" rear drop springs paired with 2" drop struts for the front.

4" rear drop is a lot and you end up having to swap a lot of stuff. Plus you lose a ton of truck functionality. A 2/2 drop is simple and keeps the truck functional as you'd expect.

Even with a 2" rear drop I'd definitely recommend adding rear helper bags if planning on loading up the bed or towing heavy

2020SilverMidnight

Reaction score
I have already lowered the rear 2", and I like it a lot better that way. I can't stand the rake at all. I don't want to add just 2" drop in the front. Then I am right back where I started.

On a side note, I did talk to Belltech again today and they had previously told me that they will have a kit out next year (2022). But they told me they made a mistake and will indeed have a kit out this year. They couldn't give me any dates, but said that they were working on a kit now and that they would have one out sometime this year. They said with Covid, it has really delayed their R&D.

2020SilverMidnight

Reaction score
So, has anyone done a 2/2 drop to their 5th Gen? I am curious to see what that would look like. It isn't the way I would want to go, but it is better than nothing. I just can't use the Maxtrac rear 4" kit.

Caballonegro

Reaction score
I did when I was a kid , “1998”,
Lowered white one is mine, blue was my dad ( HAPPY FATHER’S DAY TO HIM”

Attachments

• 4A529E32-500B-4FBE-9419-C1667EBFC52A.jpeg
    4A529E32-500B-4FBE-9419-C1667EBFC52A.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 117

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Timber Grove Suspension offers lowering air spring kits (6K lb combined) (2” level, 4”, 6”, and 7” drops). I’ve been considering building a kit with their rear parts and Inez front parts. Holding out to see what Beltech comes out with.

1lowcab

Reaction score
Any problems with alignment with the 2/2 drop?
I have the 2" rear springs on now and was thinking of getting the adjustable struts for the front and cutting the rear coils for a 2/3 drop.

ANYHEMI

Reaction score
The Built-To-Serve Edition 4x4 comes standard with the Off-Road Group which has a 1" all around lift from 1" lift springs in the front and the rear. If you set the Maxtrac adjustable strut at a 2" drop and used your Built-To-Serve Edition/Off-Road Group springs your truck only actually lowered an inch. Because you swapped out the spring in the rear with a 2" drop spring you did achieve a full 2" drop in the rear. I believe you have a 1/2 drop but I could be wrong.

2020SilverMidnight

Reaction score
The Built-To-Serve Edition 4x4 comes standard with the Off-Road Group which has a 1" all around lift from 1" lift springs in the front and the rear. If you set the Maxtrac adjustable strut at a 2" drop and used your Built-To-Serve Edition/Off-Road Group springs your truck only actually lowered an inch. Because you swapped out the spring in the rear with a 2" drop spring you did achieve a full 2" drop in the rear. I believe you have a 1/2 drop but I could be wrong.

This actually makes sense. Looking at his truck the front don't look that low as some others with 2" drop.

Olive Green 5.7

Reaction score
Add me to the list of people that want a quality 2/4 drop. I hear IHC makes great stuff, I just don't want to go that low and they aren't interested in making anything else for us 5th gens.

soSincerious

Reaction score
Any problems with alignment with the 2/2 drop?
I have the 2" rear springs on now and was thinking of getting the adjustable struts for the front and cutting the rear coils for a 2/3 drop.

I was able to get all angles to spec, no issues

soSincerious

Reaction score
This actually makes sense. Looking at his truck the front don't look that low as some others with 2" drop.

I'm having trouble finding my before and after measurements, but if memory serves it was really close to an actual 2" drop all around.

I think a lot of it is picture angles and others with a 4" rear drop making their trucks look lower 20210205_124613.jpg

Maybe that angle shows it differently

Users who are viewing this thread