5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folding or retractable tonneau cover that works with cross bars?

Bluedog

Reaction score

maroneyaz

Reaction score
I choose the Retraxone XR so I can have cross bars for bike racks when I want them but still use the bed. I went with that one because it was the most low profile.

Bluedog

Reaction score
Does it lock via the locking tailgate? Do you need to have one or the other open first?

metb4

Reaction score
Does it lock via the locking tailgate? Do you need to have one or the other open first?
I have the RetraxONE XR as well. Loving it so far.
It has a separate lock that locks the cover in place. Don't need to move the cover at all to open or close the tailgate. The remote tailgate release works perfectly with the Retrax cover closed.
This weekend I received the Yakima rack kit that was included with the cover when I bought it back in September. With the landing pads (pic included here), you can take the entire rack system off the cover in a minute or so, leaving the landing pads in place. RetraxYakima - 1.jpg RetraxYakima - 1 (2).jpg RetraxYakima - 1 (1).jpg

Attachments

• RetraxYakima - 1 (1).jpg
    RetraxYakima - 1 (1).jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 40

Bluedog

Reaction score
I would say it's adequate - especially for Southern California. It does leak a bit, mainly at the tailgate, but also a little in the front of the cover. But the leakage is predictable - and not too big a deal for me

Heh. So I’m sure it’s fine for western Washington... :/

metb4

Reaction score
Heh. So I’m sure it’s fine for western Washington... :/
Yeah the Retrax is a bit leakier than I imagined it would be.
The problem around the tailgate is mainly Ram's doing. There are a ton of gaps around the tailgate.
In front, the problem is that the sides of the bed are raised a quarter inch or so higher than the front of the bed. I've been meaning to lift the cover up and install some weatherproofing to fill in the space. That should largely solve the issue.

gmab

Reaction score
@metb4 How do you like the open/close operation of the Retrax? Would it be just as easy if you had to reach over a Rambox.

metb4

Reaction score
@metb4 How do you like the open/close operation of the Retrax? Would it be just as easy if you had to reach over a Rambox.
Open/close/locking operations are all super smooth and convenient. Cover slides easily in and out.
I can't imagine that having to reach over the Rambox would make any significant difference.

johnsix23

Reaction score
Has anyone found a retractable cover with optional crossbars that fits with rambox yet? I have checked all listed with no luck.
Thanks

SynAckuL

Reaction score
I was all set to purchase the Retrax XR and Yakima Overhaul HD towers, until I found out attaching the towers to the Retrax XR lowers their load capacity.

You can also use these with most tonneau covers.

whododat

Reaction score
I am going through the same dilemma so I am having a rack/bar setup custom made to work with the stake pockets on the truck. I will be purchasing a larger roof top tent so I want it to be overbuilt to my specs.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
I am going through the same dilemma so I am having a rack/bar setup custom made to work with the stake pockets on the truck. I will be purchasing a larger roof top tent so I want it to be overbuilt to my specs.
If you don't mind, please post pics when you're finished. I'd like to see what you came up with.

johnsix23

Reaction score
I happen to be located in the same city as the Pace Edwards factory and they have offered up a cover if they can use the truck for measurements and multiple fitting visits. Like many manufactures they have not had a 2019 1500 with Rambox available to them to measure. These guys have been extremely professional on the phone as well as in person taking care not to mark the truck up while they install, measure, and remove the covers. They have made two visits already and will only need a couple more (next one is tomorrow). I told them that I have a trip coming the beginning of April and they said they will make sure I have a rack in place to carry our bikes. With any luck they will have covers available for the other Rambox owners out there in the next couple months.

gmab

Reaction score
Has anyone found a retractable cover with optional crossbars that fits with rambox yet? I have checked all listed with no luck.
Thanks
I happen to be located in the same city as the Pace Edwards factory and they have offered up a cover if they can use the truck for measurements and multiple fitting visits. Like many manufactures they have not had a 2019 1500 with Rambox available to them to measure. These guys have been extremely professional on the phone as well as in person taking care not to mark the truck up while they install, measure, and remove the covers. They have made two visits already and will only need a couple more (next one is tomorrow). I told them that I have a trip coming the beginning of April and they said they will make sure I have a rack in place to carry our bikes. With any luck they will have covers available for the other Rambox owners out there in the next couple months.

I'm very interested in your solution.
I have a vehicle on order with Rambox and was looking for a way to carry bicycles over a tonneau cover with the cover closed (for road trips to keep luggage and such locked up). I liked the Retrax solution but they don't offer the Trax rail system with the Rambox. I'm also concerned about the fit interference issues of the Retrax as published in these forums.

My current thought is a BakFlip Revolver X4 with a hitch mount rack specifically the 1-UP USA. I was hoping to avoid a hitch rack but I haven't found any other solutions.

Edit: Just noticed Pace Edwards is in Centralia. I'm up in the Seattle area!

Users who are viewing this thread