5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folding or retractable tonneau cover that works with cross bars?

johnsix23

Reaction score
I'm very interested in your solution.
I have a vehicle on order with Rambox and was looking for a way to carry bicycles over a tonneau cover with the cover closed (for road trips to keep luggage and such locked up). I liked the Retrax solution but they don't offer the Trax rail system with the Rambox. I'm also concerned about the fit interference issues of the Retrax as published in these forums.

My current thought is a BakFlip Revolver X4 with a hitch mount rack specifically the 1-UP USA. I was hoping to avoid a hitch rack but I haven't found any other solutions.

Edit: Just noticed Pace Edwards is in Centralia. I'm up in the Seattle area!

I will let you know what they come up with. I think what they are planning is a product similar to their Ultragroove but it will sit just inside and down from the edge of the Rambox. This will allow the Ramboxes to open and close without issue. Also they are helping me figure out some risers that will work with the T-Groove in the Ultragroove raising the bar high enough to allow the RamBox doors to open. This would allow for a bar that extends the entire bed width allowing more bikes to be loaded over the bed rails/Ramboxes. Should be interesting to see what they come up with.

I'm sure the couple hour drive down to Centralia would be well worth not paying shipping. Also if something eventually goes wrong with it your not far from the factory.

gmab

Reaction score
I will let you know what they come up with. I think what they are planning is a product similar to their Ultragroove but it will sit just inside and down from the edge of the Rambox. This will allow the Ramboxes to open and close without issue. Also they are helping me figure out some risers that will work with the T-Groove in the Ultragroove raising the bar high enough to allow the RamBox doors to open. This would allow for a bar that extends the entire bed width allowing more bikes to be loaded over the bed rails/Ramboxes. Should be interesting to see what they come up with.

I'm sure the couple hour drive down to Centralia would be well worth not paying shipping. Also if something eventually goes wrong with it your not far from the factory.
Took a bit to figure out their models and how they differentiate with each other. Wish they had a compare table.

I like the Ultragroove and the fact that it locks without a key. ie: release mechanism is inside the bed instead on of on top of the cover. I'm also ok with the spring mechanism (vs. Retrax push open/close).
Nice to have the option of additional risers as you mentioned but with 2 bikes, I would probably want the lower profile and keep to the center of the bed. I'm sure Thule, Yakima, etc crossbars could be cut down to fit.
Only thing I'm not clear about is "sit just inside and down". Hope that means it is over the tonneau and not inside. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what they come up with and their timeframe to market. I have an extended road trip end of May and will need something by then.

Agree with you that driving down would probably be worth it.

EDIT: Cool that the electric version has Bluetooth so you can use phone to open/close.

Last edited:

johnsix23

Reaction score
Took a bit to figure out their models and how they differentiate with each other. Wish they had a compare table.

I like the Ultragroove and the fact that it locks without a key. ie: release mechanism is inside the bed instead on of on top of the cover. I'm also ok with the spring mechanism (vs. Retrax push open/close).
Nice to have the option of additional risers as you mentioned but with 2 bikes, I would probably want the lower profile and keep to the center of the bed. I'm sure Thule, Yakima, etc crossbars could be cut down to fit.
Only thing I'm not clear about is "sit just inside and down". Hope that means it is over the tonneau and not inside. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what they come up with and their timeframe to market. I have an extended road trip end of May and will need something by then.

Agree with you that driving down would probably be worth it.

EDIT: Cool that the electric version has Bluetooth so you can use phone to open/close.
I guess what I meant was the rails that the cover slides in "sit just inside and down" from the back of the Rambox. The standard Ultragroove (non Rambox) sits on top of a normal bed rail.

gmab

Reaction score
I guess what I meant was the rails that the cover slides in "sit just inside and down" from the back of the Rambox. The standard Ultragroove (non Rambox) sits on top of a normal bed rail.
Got it, makes sense. Thanks.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Have you looked at the Retrax? Great products and highly recommend but I don't think they have a RamBox version at this time that works with crossbars.

retraxone-xr

johnsix23

Reaction score
Have you looked at the Retrax? Great products and highly recommend but I don't think they have a RamBox version at this time.

retraxone-xr
Unfortunately no one has a retracting lid that fits the 5th gen with Rambox.

Pace Edwards is located here in my hometown and they are providing a free cover for allowing them access to my truck for fiting. They also are just an all around great company that produces a quality product.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Retrax does according to their website...just not for the crossbar version. I had Pace Edwards...GARBAGE IMPO.

johnsix23

Reaction score
Retrax does according to their website...just not for the crossbar version. I had Pace Edwards...GARBAGE IMPO.
Interesting. I just put my info in the Retrax site and they say specifically that they don’t have one for Rambox. Hmmmm.

johnsix23

Reaction score
Interesting. I just put my info in the Retrax site and they say specifically that they don’t have one for Rambox. Hmmmm.
Just noticed your comment about “not for crossbar“. Crossbar was a must for me.

gmab

Reaction score
My $.02

Retrax for RAMBOX is an issue as it interferes with the Rambox lids. Users @DeanKing, @Dog Hauler, @Welfare357, @NHREBEL2, @Andoman all tried it and either returned their units or extensively modified it to get it to work. Retrax was apparently unwilling (unable?) to help.
Retrax does not have a RAMBOX version with a t-slot ie: Crossbar solution.
Retrax for regular (non-Rambox beds) is generally well liked.

Regarding Pace Edwards, I'm finding it difficult to locate user reviews. Lots of videos with auto shows, installations, dealers, etc. but actual user reviews seem hard to come by which is a bit discerning. Can't figure out if it is a not-so-great product or poor marketing on their part?

Last edited:

Maple

Reaction score
FYI - Retrax is running the free Yakima bar promo again until the 30th. Buy the RetraxPro XR and get a set of cross bars for free. Anyone have experience with how long it took to get the bars last time around? Wondering if I would get them in time for summer road trips.

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
Factory tonneau with BUG; brackets to bolt Thule landing pads (the Yakima are too long). The bracket is sandwiched between the BUG rail and bed, and one bolt threads through it (though the BUG rail, through the bracket, and then to the nut in the bed). The Thule bars are bolted to an old expedition rack I had (for roof top tent, bikes, boats, whatever). The ramboxes open up fine (the rack is 48" wide) as the bars are before / after the ramboxes this way. You can't open the tonneau when the rack is on though (a retracting one you'd be able to of course). For those of you that don't need a lot of width perhaps bolt the landing pads to the bar just inside the bed (that the retractable sliders go in to, and my tonneau sits on top of (so it won't work for me). In theory you'd be able to use 48" cross bars and still open the ramboxes....

ZcpYky3mT0K65kM01tq46w.jpg kI3xkHYgTva9bLJnYUq79w.jpg ppxcGVYhTsiIpggR78T2Qw.jpg

leeghoti

Reaction score
I'm looking for the same solution. I have a Rambox and want to put a rack for bikes on top of the bed. Did this solution work and are they available to buy? Thanks
For anyone else interested, I called Pace Edwards this morning to ask about this. Spoke to a very nice guy named Eddie, he asked the product team about this for me and said they gave him a vague answer of about a month before this will be ready.

If you are wanting to buy like I am I recommend calling or emailing them to let them know. If they know they have a market they may put more resources into development.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

leeghoti

Reaction score
My 2 cents...Pace Edwards is crap...go with Retrax!
Yeah, you've mentioned that.
A. Do you have any specific issues you could point out that might help potential buyers?
2. If Retrax offered their XR for the Rambox I think myself and a lot of others on this thread would buy it today, however they don't, and their customer service told me they won't. Pace Edwards at least is attempting to create a solution.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
@leeghoti ...great questions:

1. past experience on my F150 the quality was poor (Retrax and PE was night and day)...I am on my third Retrax and will continue to purchase them
2. the roll mechanism wasn't great and had too much play
3. allowed water to get in
4. the weight it would support was poor...we had a bad snow/ice storm and the weight of the ice on the cover caused it to bow and wasn't repairable

I am a very ANAL engineer and a perfectionist and would never have bought my third if the first two weren't awesome. If PE is your only option and you feel good about it then give it a shot. I, for one, just don't like their engineering and feel the quality is not nearly up to the Retrax standards. If you're happy, then that's all that matters;)

Votas

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but didn't want to start a new one on the same topic. I have 2022 Laramie Southwest edition with ramboxes making it's way to California from Mark Dodge and should hopefully be here in the next few days. Looking into retractable covers and retrax xr is making it's way to the top. One question - has anyone had recent success with getting cross bars and accessories (bikes, cargo carriers, kayaks, etc) on a retrax xr without interfering with the full opening of the ramboxes?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That might be a problem unless you go with crossbar setup that don’t hang over the ramboxes. I’m not sure if something like that even exist w/o going custom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread