5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fogged windshield on passenger side and a vapor smelling like antifreeze

Jpackard

Reaction score
Good day guys, I have a 2019 ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 v8 5.7. I have this fog/condensation on my windshield and it is always there. It’s winter ish time so I figured that it’s normal but we are having a few warm days and it’s still there. I just delt with thermostat change, and the smell kind of smells like antifreeze. The vapor /smoke is coming up through the glove box. I don’t know if the bad thermostat was the cause of this or not. I am pretty she I had a condensation drip from my air vent but it was like an orange brown color. I asssumed antifreeze cause of the slight smell of antifreeze. But not too sure if that’s possible.
Thanks for reaching out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 37

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As Scram1500 indicated, those are typical symptoms associated with a leaking heater core. A new heater core is fairly cheap, less than $150, but the labor cost to replace it will probably be over 10 times that amount.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good day guys, I have a 2019 ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 v8 5.7. I have this fog/condensation on my windshield and it is always there. It’s winter ish time so I figured that it’s normal but we are having a few warm days and it’s still there. I just delt with thermostat change, and the smell kind of smells like antifreeze. The vapor /smoke is coming up through the glove box. I don’t know if the bad thermostat was the cause of this or not. I am pretty she I had a condensation drip from my air vent but it was like an orange brown color. I asssumed antifreeze cause of the slight smell of antifreeze. But not too sure if that’s possible.
Thanks for reaching out
Calder Homes...you up here in Rochester?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just installed a heater core today on a 2019 Ram 1500. Book time 10 hours. Took 4, idk I like dash work.

Matthews777

Reaction score
Just installed a heater core today on a 2019 Ram 1500. Book time 10 hours. Took 4, idk I like dash work.
Do you have to remove the entire box that the heater/evaporator core is inside from truck? I’m currently replacing one on my 2020 rebel and curious if there is a way to do it without draining my A/C?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have to remove the entire box that the heater/evaporator core is inside from truck? I’m currently replacing one on my 2020 rebel and curious if there is a way to do it without draining my A/C?
There is a way, I don't recommend but people do it.

You reuse your heater core pipes by uncrimping the heater core lines, remove the heater core. Remove the new lines from the new core, install the new core in the box, install original lines and crimp lines. It's very easy to remove and install the lines.

Matthews777

Reaction score
There is a way, I don't recommend but people do it.

You reuse your heater core pipes by uncrimping the heater core lines, remove the heater core. Remove the new lines from the new core, install the new core in the box, install original lines and crimp lines. It's very easy to remove and install the lines.
That’s pretty slick. I’ll give it a go in the morning and see if I’m comfortable with it or not. I do appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread