5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fog Light Comes on When Turning

jdomke1

Reaction score
Full disclosure, I just bought this truck a PO installed a upgraded front bumper. From all appearances, the factory fogs are still mounted in original location.
Here’s my issue the dealer can’t figure out:
At night, when turning steering wheel left 90 degrees, the left fog light comes on. It does the same thing when putting on the left turn signal. The right side never does either of the above.
I can’t find in the owners manual. One might caulk it up to the new bumper but I can understand how this light knows how to turn on when steering or using factory turn signal. Either the right side is broken or the left shouldn’t do this.
Any ideas? Thank you.
9568fdf9af2132891285a3315ee8a081.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
It sounds like it's working as designed but the right side is broken. Try turning on the foglamps and see if they both work. And verify that the turn signal works, too. And then hunt for the ground. Bizarre electrical behavior often turns out to be a bad ground, so the current finds a different path to follow.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
These trucks use the fog lights as cornering lights. They are designed to turn on when you turn the wheel. The left fog should come on when you turn left, and the right fog should light up when turning right. Of course, if you turn the fogs on they just operate like normal fog lights.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^What they said. The fog lights act as cornering lamps when turning (if they're off). Left side is working as intended. Right side seems to be broken.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you traced the wiring for the lightbar? Sometimes peoples connections or splices aren't too great.

jdomke1

Reaction score
I’m replacing the bumper today so I can run down the wire. What actually was happening, being in front of the truck to see it, when left the left fog and light bar came on. When right the right fog only comes on. It’s so dim I never noticed the right and left so bright I never considered it was the bar too. Definitely messed up wiring. Disappointed the Ram dealer had no clue what I was talking about regarding lights coming on when turning. Can’t find in owners manual either.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I’m replacing the bumper today so I can run down the wire. What actually was happening, being in front of the truck to see it, when left the left fog and light bar came on. When right the right fog only comes on. It’s so dim I never noticed the right and left so bright I never considered it was the bar too. Definitely messed up wiring. Disappointed the Ram dealer had no clue what I was talking about regarding lights coming on when turning. Can’t find in owners manual either.

It's in the owner's manual on the page that describes the turn signals.

Fog lights.jpg

Benevolent one

Reaction score
I’ve noticed this brought up in other threads, and is a concern for me. Aftermarket lights tapped into factory fog light harness coming on for cornering. I didn’t realize it was the fog lights acting as corner lights until after I put a winch tray bumper on with spot and flood lights. Now I’m concerned about blinding people making turns. I saw some chatter other places on web (bimmer/vw) that this feature can be disabled through OBD tool. Anyone know if this may be possible with FCA? Really want to keep clean look of using factory harness and button instead of wiring a switch into cab

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve noticed this brought up in other threads, and is a concern for me. Aftermarket lights tapped into factory fog light harness coming on for cornering. I didn’t realize it was the fog lights acting as corner lights until after I put a winch tray bumper on with spot and flood lights. Now I’m concerned about blinding people making turns. I saw some chatter other places on web (bimmer/vw) that this feature can be disabled through OBD tool. Anyone know if this may be possible with FCA? Really want to keep clean look of using factory harness and button instead of wiring a switch into cab
Or just don't use janky wiring by tapping into the fog light for auxiliary lighting.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California

jdomke1

Reaction score

The crazy thing for me was the local big time dealer having no clue what I was taking about. I just put in a separate switch to turn them on.

Lize

Reaction score
Look in the menus for:
Settings->Lights->Steering detected lights

Users who are viewing this thread