5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foam cannon results

paulmarsh22

Reaction score
I generally wash my truck once every 2 weeks and I have had no luck getting a nice thick foam out of my foam cannon. I have a sun joe pressure washer that does 2000 PSI AT 1.76GPM. I've tried all different soaps, including multiple chemical guys formulas. Always with warm water. I've even changed to a smaller orifice on the foam cannon as I've seen that recommended. However, I just can't get a thick foam. It always comes out watery and runny. Am I just inherently screwed because of the low psi electric pressure washer or has anyone been able to get it to foam properly?

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use a little larger capacity Greenworks pressure washer, a $20 foam cannon from Amazon and Chemical Guys Mr. Pink Soap. So much foam you can't see the truck. Same results with my cousin's 2000 psi / 1.2 gpm pressure washer.

Maybe a bum cannon or a water hardness issue?

paulmarsh22

Reaction score
I guess I'll replace the foam cannon and see if that makes a difference. It was the MATCC foam cannon that I saw recommended everywhere. What's your soap to water mixture ratio? I usually use about 2oz in the 32oz foam cannon bottle.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't measure it. I just fill the reservoir bottle with soap, adjust the knob to where I get the most foam and then blast it. I usually have about a half a bottle, or a little more, of soap left when done. A little overkill I guess, but it's fun.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. I’m able to use my cheap ryobi 1650 psi pressure washer with no problem. However, I have one of those foam cannon 32 oz dispenser that I connect to the tip because it doesn’t have a built in dispenser.

Maybe the issue is the dispenser. I am a chemical guys fan, and have lots of products from there. Those dispensers are like $30, so maybe getting one of those to test. Don’t remove any tags on it…so give it a shot, then if it doesn’t work, return it…lol.

P.s. I don’t know if you off-road or the undercarriage needs a spray, but stay away from the ryobi undercarriage sprayer. It doesn’t spray strong enough compared to the picture.

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

paulmarsh22

Reaction score
Interesting. I’m able to use my cheap ryobi 1650 psi pressure washer with no problem. However, I have one of those foam cannon 32 oz dispenser that I connect to the tip because it doesn’t have a built in dispenser.

Maybe the issue is the dispenser. I am a chemical guys fan, and have lots of products from there. Those dispensers are like $30, so maybe getting one of those to test. Don’t remove any tags on it…so give it a shot, then if it doesn’t work, return it…lol.

P.s. I don’t know if you off-road or the undercarriage needs a spray, but stay away from the ryobi undercarriage sprayer. It doesn’t spray strong enough compared to the picture.

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Yeah I don't use the built in soap dispenser on the pressure washer. I have a 32oz foam cannon from MATCC that I use. Even bought the 1.1mm orifice for it like others suggested. I just ordered another foam cannon that will be here Friday so I can test and see if I just got a faulty cannon. I love chemical guys products but I refuse to spend 80$ on their foam cannon lol

Adonis_1111

Reaction score
I guess I'll replace the foam cannon and see if that makes a difference. It was the MATCC foam cannon that I saw recommended everywhere. What's your soap to water mixture ratio? I usually use about 2oz in the 32oz foam cannon bottle.
I think that's your problem. I have the MATCC foam cannon and I fill it to 50% with soap. 2oz soap measure is if you are pouring it into a wash bucket to hand wash. The foam cannons require 50/50 mix to really create that thick foam!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think that's your problem. I have the MATCC foam cannon and I fill it to 50% with soap. 2oz soap measure is if you are pouring it into a wash bucket to hand wash. The foam cannons require 50/50 mix to really create that thick foam!
The Chemical Guys snow foam directions literally say to use 2oz in the foam cannon mixed with warm water.

vetto

Reaction score
First post on the forum and it's about a Foam Cannon. LOL ...but these things are so much fun!
I just bought this cannon, https://www.amazon.com/DUSICHIN-SFL-001-Pressure-Release-Adjustable/dp/B00WPKHFA6/ and used the tried and true default soap that everyone has, Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash.
Cheapo Ryobi electric pressure washer (1600psi)

The car wash soap bottle said to use a 1:5 ratio for foam cannons, so I used the marks on the cannon bottle to do exactly that. HOLY CRAP this thing is a blast to use! I want to wash EVERYONES cars in the neighborhood! There was so much foam! I did play with the water mixing knob on the top to see what a good foam/water ratio was, but eventually just stopped messing with it and blasted the truck...and then the Jeep...and then the house. The driveway was like walking through shaving cream.

Mirowpl

Reaction score
I have a sun joe foam cannon with a sun joe electric power washer and it works fine as far as putting thick foam on my truck. But I still need to had wash the truck again as the foam really doesn’t removed all the dirt and grime where I live. Plus Iit gets washed about once every few months, the next day it is filthy. I just use it help loosen things up . Btw I have been doing a 50/50 ratio of soap to water in the cannon .

paulmarsh22

Reaction score
50/50 mixture is quite a bit. I'm not using an entire 16oz bottle of soap everytime I wash my truck. Most videos I see (Chemical Guys included) only use about 2 or 3oz and get super thick foam. I guess I'll see tomorrow when the new cannon arrives. Hopefully I just had a faulty cannon (even though I changed out the foam core and 1.1mm orifice). I did hear that not getting a tight seal on the bottle could affect the foam as well.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good to hear it worked for you now, the whole MTM spray gun, some stainless steel quick connect and MTM foam bottle costed me some good money.
I picked up some really nice MTM stainless quick connects last year and installed them on EVERYTHING. Nowhere near as restrictive as any of the brass quick connects I've used before.

Last edited:

Johnny_H

Reaction score
I use Adam’s foaming soap. Same $20 Amazon ****ty cannon. The key is soap concentration in the cannon. I find 20-25% works best for me. Just up your soap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wondering if it a hard water issue. I have really hard water. When I installed my water softener. I installed it after my hose bids. If I supple water from my sink in the garage. I get better suds.

Edit: just read the other post. I see you found your issue.

Last edited:

paulmarsh22

Reaction score
I wondering if it a hard water issue. I have really hard water. When I installed my water softener. I installed it after my hose bids. If I supple water from my sink in the garage. I get better suds.

Edit: just read the other post. I see you found your issue.
This is another known issue though also. Hard water affects the foaming capabilities due to the minerals in the water. It's suggested to fill up your foam cannon with distilled water for better foaming results. Can confirm that helps as well. Also keeps your foam cannon clean and prevent mineral deposit buildup. I also changed to a 1.1mm orifice on this cannon which made a big difference.

As far as soap to water ratio, 2oz in the 32oz bottle is all I needed for a nice thick foam that wasn't all runny or watery.

Gipraw

Reaction score
Please follow the soap ratio recommended by the soap manufacturer. Mixing you soap ratio too strong is not good for whatever LSP you have on the vehicle. Too strong and it will remove some or all of it and leave your truck less protected, or unprotected.

Islander

Reaction score
I use a low psi (1500) pressure washer along with Adam's Premium Foam Cannon and Adam's Mega Foam shampoo and get really thick foam everytime.

I turn the water mix valve off so it just pulls from the canon reservoir, then add 3oz Mega Foam shampoo to 30oz water and blast away....foam galore!

Users who are viewing this thread