5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flush fitment for custom wheels on 'street' truck

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here, so pls be patient! :)

I am a Brit currently living in Spain, and have just bought a new 2022 RAM Sport with GT package in black, which is on its way over to Europe as we speak.

I know in the States trucks of this size are massively common, whereas in Europe its a bit of a novelty to have a big truck - something characterful and a bit different, in a sea of dull German estate cars, Range Rovers and SUVs. I am buying mine to use 95% as a street truck for family trips and camping, with the added practicality over an SUV to fit my snowboarding and mountain biking hobbies.

One of the mods I'd like to do, which I like to do on all my cars is widen the stance. I like to fill out the wheel wells and have wider rims and tyres that sit flush with the outside of the fenders. I think it gives it a more aggressive look, and gives you more tyre for better grip on twisty mountain roads etc. One thing I've noticed is how skinny the stock tyres look in terms of width, in relation to the width of the truck, and how 'tucked-in' the wheels and tyres look in relation to the fender flares. I am planning on running a staggered setup, with much wider tyres at the back, much like any powerful mostly RWD car, and for better looks and better grip and traction on windy roads. Obviously, being that the truck has a 4WD option, I want to run a setup with diameters with as minimal difference as possible, to avoid any issues with the diffs in 4WD mode, but as the truck will run 99% in RWD drive mode, I'm not overly concerned. I know that most truck owners in the US prefer the offroad look and opt for huge/heavy AT tyres that ruin performance and fuel economy, but I prefer the street look and the handling improvement of low profile, wider street tyres.

From what I can see, there is about a 20mm gap between the outside edge of the fender flares and the edge of the tyres, and loads of room on the inside of the rear tyre between the edge of the tyre and the wheel well liner. The best front-rear tyre combination I can find that keeps overall tyre diameters almost identical is 285/45/22 front and 325/40/22 rear, giving a 2mm sidewall difference front to back, and a 2revs per mile difference overall which should not bother the diffs to any extent. To push the stock front tyre out by 20mm I was gonna go for a +2mm offset on a 10" wheel, which should also extend the overall width of the tyre onto a rim that is better suited for that width of tyre, instead of being too wide for the rim as per the stock 9" rim setup. For the rear I was gonna run a +19 offset on a 12" wheel, which with the 325 tyre would push the outer tyre edge out 20mm towards the fender edge and about 20mm closer to the wheel well on the inside.

I don't have the truck yet, so these calculations are all theoretical and not based on precise measurements of the available space on the truck. But, as I am buying my wheels custom, I wanted to get the ball rolling before the truck arrives, as they take 6-8 weeks to be made! So the questions is, in your guy's vast experience, do you think my calculations look sound, or will my tyres stick out further than the fender flares or rub on the inner wheel wells?

This is the wheel I'm having made, which is inspired by the RAM Limited 6 spoke wheel:

df28b681f4fcd0ca2fe70c2208af20e9.jpg

Thanks in advance for your advice fellas.

Mart.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here, so pls be patient! :)

I am a Brit currently living in Spain, and have just bought a new 2022 RAM Sport with GT package in black, which is on its way over to Europe as we speak.

I know in the States trucks of this size are massively common, whereas in Europe its a bit of a novelty to have a big truck - something characterful and a bit different, in a sea of dull German estate cars, Range Rovers and SUVs. I am buying mine to use 95% as a street truck for family trips and camping, with the added practicality over an SUV to fit my snowboarding and mountain biking hobbies.

One of the mods I'd like to do, which I like to do on all my cars is widen the stance. I like to fill out the wheel wells and have wider rims and tyres that sit flush with the outside of the fenders. I think it gives it a more aggressive look, and gives you more tyre for better grip on twisty mountain roads etc. One thing I've noticed is how skinny the stock tyres look in terms of width, in relation to the width of the truck, and how 'tucked-in' the wheels and tyres look in relation to the fender flares. I am planning on running a staggered setup, with much wider tyres at the back, much like any powerful mostly RWD car, and for better looks and better grip and traction on windy roads. Obviously, being that the truck has a 4WD option, I want to run a setup with diameters with as minimal difference as possible, to avoid any issues with the diffs in 4WD mode, but as the truck will run 99% in RWD drive mode, I'm not overly concerned. I know that most truck owners in the US prefer the offload look and. opt for huge AT tyres that ruin performance and fuel economy, but I prefer the street look and the handling improvement of low profile, wider street tyres.

From what I can see, there is about a 20mm gap between the outside edge of the fender flares and the edge of the tyres, and loads of room on the inside of the rear tyre between the edge of the tyre and the wheel well liner. The best front-rear tyre combination I can find that keeps overall tyre diameters almost identical is 285/45/22 front and 325/40/22 rear, giving a 2mm sidewall difference front to back, and a 2revs per mile difference overall which should not bother the diffs to any extent. To push the stock front tyre out by 20mm I was gonna go for a +2mm offset on a 10" wheel, which should also extend the overall width of the tyre onto a rim that is better suited for that width of tyre, instead of being too wide for the rim as per the stock 9" rim setup. For the rear I was gonna run a +19 offset on a 12" wheel, which with the 325 tyre would push the outer tyre edge out 20mm towards the fender edge and about 20mm closer to the wheel well on the inside.

I don't have the truck yet, so these calculations are all theoretical and not based on precise measurements of the available space on the truck. But, as I am buying my wheels custom, I wanted to get the ball rolling before the truck arrives, as they take 6-8 weeks to be made! So the questions is, in your guy's vast experience, do you think my calculations look sound, or will my tyres stick out further than the fender flares or rub on the inner wheel wells?

This is the wheelI'm having made, which is inspired by the RAM Limited 6 spoke wheel:

View attachment 139061

Thanks in advance for your advice fellas.

Mart.
Congrats and welcome!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome, and your calculations “sound” pretty sound to me, with one caveat- different brand tires of the same size sometimes have different cross-section sizes and also protrude from the rim at different amounts (sometimes independent of section sizing). I don’t have a great way to estimate that, so I usually look for a cross-section size that is 13mm to 25mm less than measuring rim size.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You should be okay, but one thing to be careful on is clearance to the UCAs on the front running wider wheels/tires. I don't think a 285 width is going to be an issue, but it will be something you will need to check when mounting them the first time. Especially with custom offset wheels.

Also, sounds like you would probably like the reverse level look which lowers the rear to match the front giving a sportier look. And you will most definitely want to get a Hellwig rear sway bar.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You should be okay, but one thing to be careful on is clearance to the UCAs on the front running wider wheels/tires. I don't think a 285 width is going to be an issue, but it will be something you will need to check when mounting them the first time. Especially with custom offset wheels.

Also, sounds like you would probably like the reverse level look which lowers the rear to match the front giving a sportier look. And you will most definitely want to get a Hellwig rear sway bar.
Anything else???

:p

Reaction score

Hi - thanks for the feedback. The offset is actually smaller, meaning that the wheel/tyre will actually be pushed out further away from the UCA than stock on the front. On the rear - can anyone with stock 285 width tyres tell me how much space there is between the inside edge of the tyre and the inner wheel well? There should be plenty of space, right?

Could someone with stock 9" width wheels and 285 tyres, with the stock Laramie/Limited fender flares measure the distance from outside of the tyre and the outer edge of the fender flare? Is it 20mm as I calculated? Also is the the tyre>fender gap the same front & rear, or is the gap greater in the rear? Anyone with a tape measure handy would be a godsend!

Many thanks!

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi - thanks for the feedback. The offset is actually smaller, meaning that the wheel/tyre will actually be pushed out further away from the UCA than stock on the front. On the rear - can anyone with stock 285 width tyres tell me how much space there is between the inside edge of the tyre and the inner wheel well? There should be plenty of space, right?

Could someone with stock 9" width wheels and 285 tyres, with the stock Laramie/Limited fender flares measure the distance from outside of the tyre and the outer edge of the fender flare? Is it 20mm as I calculated? Also is the the tyre>fender gap the same front & rear, or is the gap greater in the rear? Anyone with a tape measure handy would be a godsend!

Many thanks!
Front wheels have a wider track width than the rear by 1/4" on each side.

As I said, the 285 shouldn't be an issue, but it's something to check when mounting them for the first time. There are no trucks with factory 285 width tires. Unless you have a TRX, 275 is the factory width

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
They do and a few of us have 305/45/22 tires fitted all around on the stock 22" rims with zero issues.
I love your rim choice and am curious if you have actually found a 10" rim yet? I ask because I am looking for the same setup you are and haven't found anything yet. At least not in a 22" rim or a price range I find acceptable anyway.

Honestly I don't think 10" wide will be enough to achieve the look but I haven't found a 10.5 or 11" rim option either unless you bump up to a 24" rim.

Reaction score
They do and a few of us have 305/45/22 tires fitted all around on the stock 22" rims with zero issues.
I love your rim choice and am curious if you have actually found a 10" rim yet? I ask because I am looking for the same setup you are and haven't found anything yet. At least not in a 22" rim or a price range I find acceptable anyway.

Honestly I don't think 10" wide will be enough to achieve the look but I haven't found a 10.5 or 11" rim option either unless you bump up to a 24" rim.

I am going for CUSTOM forged wheels in 22x10 front and 22x12 rear. You are right, there are no cast off-the-shelf wheels available wider than 10", and even then they tend to have a +25 offset, which actually pushes the tyre further into the wheel well.

Reaction score
I am unsure why RAM decided to give the option of a 285 tyre on a 9" rim, as that width rim is actually sub optimal for the tyre width and causes it to 'bulge' slightly, which will lead to much greater squishiness during cornering due to the extra sidewall flex. The correct rim width range for a 285 tyre is 10-11" in order to optimise the contact patch of the tyre.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am unsure why RAM decided to give the option of a 285 tyre on a 9" rim, as that width rim is actually sub optimal for the tyre width and causes it to 'bulge' slightly, which will lead to much greater squishiness during cornering due to the extra sidewall flex. The correct rim width range for a 285 tyre is 10-11" in order to optimise the contact patch of the tyre.
That’s exactly what I was talking about. Try searching online for the terms I mentioned, and you will understand why I said what I did.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Missed the 12" tire in the rear, that will be perfect and likely achieve the look I'm after as well.
May we ask the cost of custom rims?

IMG_5426.PNG

IMG_5427.PNG

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have 26x10 with factory +19mm offsets from my understanding with 315 40 26 tires and they sit almost perfectly flush in my opinion.

Attachments

• 45965B50-5EF7-4AAB-957B-AAF39D590B7B.jpeg
    45965B50-5EF7-4AAB-957B-AAF39D590B7B.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 52954B7B-D6B7-466E-9E24-2BA484454AE2.jpeg
    52954B7B-D6B7-466E-9E24-2BA484454AE2.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 51
  • FE2AD596-DF37-44D3-80BC-F74484E6B31C.jpeg
    FE2AD596-DF37-44D3-80BC-F74484E6B31C.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 51
Reaction score
I have 26x10 with factory +19mm offsets from my understanding with 315 40 26 tires and they sit almost perfectly flush in my opinion.
I wonder how much tyre would fit ini the front with the right offset? Has anyone ever measured how much space there is between the inside of the tyre and the front and the UCA with the stock wheel/tyre setup? I wonder if a 325 tyre would fit on the front with, which is effectively 20mm wider each side of the tyre.

Reaction score
Looking back through previous threads discussing tyre fitment and UCA, looks like there is around 15-20mm of extra space between the inside of the tyre and the UCA, which means you could fit a 315 width tyre on the front, but unlikely a 325 without rubbing. With the stock offset and an appropriately sized rim, a 315 tyre would stick 15mm further out towards the fender flare on the outside, and 15mm further in towards the UCA on the inside.

Users who are viewing this thread