5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowmaster outlaw muffler review

Jtc411

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just installed my flowmaster outlaw direct fit muffler replacement and thought I’d give a quick review Incase anyone was looking for a cheap but effective exhaust upgrade.

So this muffler is 299.99 and I purchased it from real truck. Install was super quick and easy. It’s most definitely high quality and indeed direct fit.

Sound wise I’m extremely impressed. It’s both deep and pretty loud(especially when in throttle). It’s not straight pipe loud but loud enough to draw attention. Idle is a nice low rumble. It does drone a bit when mds kicks in. But when not in mds cruising it’s a mild low grumble. I did keep the factory resonators on the tips and absolutely would not remove them as it would be way too loud. Flowmaster dyno chart shows a roughly a peak 25 hp and 25 tq increase. I have no scientific proof on my truck but the butt dyno definitely feels a gain. Whether it’s 25 I don’t know, but I do feel some increase. The loudness artificially sounds faster too. But I would tend to believe flowmasters dyno chart. Hope this helps anyone considering!

Loudness 8/10
Drone 6/10
Overall sound 9/10

Cravenschild

Reaction score
Been a while sine I have owned a truck, but this was on my list of thing I want to do to my truck sooner rather than later. I was looking at the Flowmaster Outlaw as well so glad to know it sounds good. I just wanted to look at it more to see how the install goes and make sure I was going to like it. How long did the install take? Judging from the pictures of the product (as I haven't done any exhaust upgrades in the past) is it a simply unbolt and bolt this on procedure keeping the stock tips in place?

Jtc411

Reaction score
Been a while sine I have owned a truck, but this was on my list of thing I want to do to my truck sooner rather than later. I was looking at the Flowmaster Outlaw as well so glad to know it sounds good. I just wanted to look at it more to see how the install goes and make sure I was going to like it. How long did the install take? Judging from the pictures of the product (as I haven't done any exhaust upgrades in the past) is it a simply unbolt and bolt this on procedure keeping the stock tips in place?

It was incredibly easy. One cut behind the muffler. Slide replacement in with a clamp. Couple bolts on the flange. Hang and done. I’d say for a novice that can’t put their truck on a lift maybe 2 hours? I had no fitment issues or troubles

Cravenschild

Reaction score
It was incredibly easy. One cut behind the muffler. Slide replacement in with a clamp. Couple bolts on the flange. Hang and done. I’d say for a novice that can’t put their truck on a lift maybe 2 hours? I had no fitment issues or troubles

Yea that is the part I am looking at now. There are two different ones that I see and the second one doesn't involve any cutting, but costs about $50 more. I believe it is part number 817633 instead of 817846. I was a bit weary about cutting into my truck vs something that simply bolts on and keeps everything intact.

Jtc411

Reaction score
Yea that is the part I am looking at now. There are two different ones that I see and the second one doesn't involve any cutting, but costs about $50 more. I believe it is part number 817633 instead of 817846. I was a bit weary about cutting into my truck vs something that simply bolts on and keeps everything intact.

817633 is for the classic. You have to get 846 and have to cut unfortunately

Cravenschild

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Flowmaster 40 series muffler? I was looking at the outlaw, but my local shop offered the 40 series as a comparable unit installed for half the cost of the outlaw. Wondering is anyone has their opinion or sound clip of the 5.7 with it installed?

Jamminjerry

Reaction score
I also had The Outlaw installed. I have the 19 5.7. 1500. Overall I’m ver happy with it. Doesn’t sound great at idle but does have a nice rumble. Hate it when it kicks into Eco Mode but if you wanna throw your truck into the “gear up” mode on the wheel that takes care of that since the truck doesn’t go into eco mode when that’s engaged. Love the rumble on acceleration and also love how it says manageable inside the cabin. Glad I went with Flowmasters more aggressive muffle. Took it too my local muffler shop, took less than 30 minutes to install and he charged me $80 bucks. So for $380 total the Outlaw makes my truck sound like a truck. Very satisfied with it.

Grim Reaper 45

Reaction score
Does installation do anything to void the warranty?
Short answer No, it will only void the warranty of the specific part installed as it is no longer OEM.
Long answer it will not void the warranty in most cases as the dealership would have to prove that your installed part caused any damage to other parts on your vehicle. If the dealership could trace any issue back to the aftermarket part installed, a part of your warranty could then be voided. It's highly unlikely that installing a different muffler will ever do any damage to any other part of your car. Also consumers have protection under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

Grim Reaper 45

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Flowmaster 40 series muffler? I was looking at the outlaw, but my local shop offered the 40 series as a comparable unit installed for half the cost of the outlaw. Wondering is anyone has their opinion or sound clip of the 5.7 with it installed?
My neighbor has the 40 original series on his truck it sounds awesome! The Outlaw is a direct fit and what comes in the box is all you need for the install as its the same size as the factory muffler. The Outlaw comes in at 299.99 last I checked. The 40 is 79.99 but will require a few welds or other mods and an additional section of pipe as its shorter than the factory muffler. The 40 is much more difficult to install from watching my neighbor do it and is in no way a direct fit. If you are planning to have a shop do the work either way go with the 40 if saves you money as it sounds great as well. Long story endless the difference in price the shop is offering is the difference in the product price, Outlaw 299.99 and the 40 at 79.99 bucks. The 40 is more work but they probably won't charge more than a 150.00 for the install.

TheEngineBaes

Reaction score
We have the Flowmaster Outlaw on ours as well, and for us it's the best exhaust for the 2019. Especially with the HEMI you don't need all the extra fancy brand name for our trucks - just let it breathe and it'll roar. Plus, for the pricepoint compared to magnaflow and Borla? Yeah this exhaust is almost perfect. We have some sound clips of it here

Jamminjerry

Reaction score
We have the Flowmaster Outlaw on ours as well, and for us it's the best exhaust for the 2019. Especially with the HEMI you don't need all the extra fancy brand name for our trucks - just let it breathe and it'll roar. Plus, for the pricepoint compared to magnaflow and Borla? Yeah this exhaust is almost perfect. We have some sound clips of it here

Last edited:

Jamminjerry

Reaction score
I have the direct fit outlaw. It sounds good but nit as good as yours. I think that’s due to still having the 2 resonators right in front of the tailpipes. It does not sound all that great at idle and I’m thinking about removing them. Thanks for the info on the drone because that’s been my biggest concern. Great vid btw

Cravenschild

Reaction score
My neighbor has the 40 original series on his truck it sounds awesome! The Outlaw is a direct fit and what comes in the box is all you need for the install as its the same size as the factory muffler. The Outlaw comes in at 299.99 last I checked. The 40 is 79.99 but will require a few welds or other mods and an additional section of pipe as its shorter than the factory muffler. The 40 is much more difficult to install from watching my neighbor do it and is in no way a direct fit. If you are planning to have a shop do the work either way go with the 40 if saves you money as it sounds great as well. Long story endless the difference in price the shop is offering is the difference in the product price, Outlaw 299.99 and the 40 at 79.99 bucks. The 40 is more work but they probably won't charge more than a 150.00 for the install.

Yea I will probably go with the 40 series as he was offering it at $179.99 installed, vs the $350 + to install the Outlaw.

Caballonegro

Reaction score
I was looking for a deep, not super loud sound of my truck, and I went with the Outlaw. It is absolutely perfect for me, I still have the resonators and if I want it louder someday, I can just remove them. It was nice to be able to keep my Black factory tips.

Cravenschild

Reaction score
I got tired of waiting so I just went quick and inexpensive and got it swapped out with a Flowmaster 40 series muffler. Sounds so much better than stock and only spent $200. Now it actually sounds like it has a V8 under the hood!

Rdubs20

Reaction score
I got tired of waiting so I just went quick and inexpensive and got it swapped out with a Flowmaster 40 series muffler. Sounds so much better than stock and only spent $200. Now it actually sounds like it has a V8 under the hood!

Any drone with the 40?

Users who are viewing this thread