5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowmaster outlaw muffler review

Cravenschild

Reaction score
If there is any it isn't bothering me yet, I am just glad I only had to shell out a couple hundred bucks and the truck sounds like a truck now.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
So essentially, the Flowmaster 40 and the Outlaw will produce roughly the same sound? It just comes down to price and install? Newbie question. Do you install these on just one side, or on both sides? When I looked under the truck, it seemed like each exhaust tip has it's own muffler, so are people replacing both or just one, and if just one, the driver or passenger side? And another question, I've hear some say that the weld shut the weep holes in the resonator and that made it louder without having to delete them. Does that work?

Caballonegro

Reaction score
So essentially, the Flowmaster 40 and the Outlaw will produce roughly the same sound? It just comes down to price and install? Newbie question. Do you install these on just one side, or on both sides? When I looked under the truck, it seemed like each exhaust tip has it's own muffler, so are people replacing both or just one, and if just one, the driver or passenger side? And another question, I've hear some say that the weld shut the weep holes in the resonator and that made it louder without having to delete them. Does that work?

I think you're not looking at the mufflers, you're looking at the Resonators which are behind each tip, the muffler is in the center of the truck. You just replace the muffler and leave the resonators. I left the Resonators with my outlaw which the sound is absolutely perfect for me. YOu can remove them but you'll get drone and a bit louder exhaust from what people say.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
I think you're not looking at the mufflers, you're looking at the Resonators which are behind each tip, the muffler is in the center of the truck. You just replace the muffler and leave the resonators. I left the Resonators with my outlaw which the sound is absolutely perfect for me. YOu can remove them but you'll get drone and a bit louder exhaust from what people say.
Ok thanks. Tells you how much I know about exhaust systems. All I do know is that I want it loud enough for people to turn heads, but not load enough to give me headaches while I'm driving. I'm coming from a Hemi 5.7 in my 2017 Charger R/T that came with factory "active exhaust". Didn't have to do anything aftermarket with it. Nice low growl when you start the engine, nice notes when accelerating (with a few pops between the first few gears), and a fairly toned down sound while cruising around. But step on the gas, and let the good times roll!! If I can mimic that with a flowmaster 40 or Outlaw, I'm all in!!

Caballonegro

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Tells you how much I know about exhaust systems. All I do know is that I want it loud enough for people to turn heads, but not load enough to give me headaches while I'm driving. I'm coming from a Hemi 5.7 in my 2017 Charger R/T that came with factory "active exhaust". Didn't have to do anything aftermarket with it. Nice low growl when you start the engine, nice notes when accelerating (with a few pops between the first few gears), and a fairly toned down sound while cruising around. But step on the gas, and let the good times roll!! If I can mimic that with a flowmaster 40 or Outlaw, I'm all in!!

You can replace the muffler, drive it around while it breaks in and know that if you want more sound that you can remove the resonators. That was my plan but I ended up staying with the resonators since I get that beefy sound and when we go on small trips, the exhaust will quiet down quite a bit. I love the sound going down hills while it downshifts......anyways I can do a cold start of my Outlaw for you if you want me to send you one. let me know.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
You can replace the muffler, drive it around while it breaks in and know that if you want more sound that you can remove the resonators. That was my plan but I ended up staying with the resonators since I get that beefy sound and when we go on small trips, the exhaust will quiet down quite a bit. I love the sound going down hills while it downshifts......anyways I can do a cold start of my Outlaw for you if you want me to send you one. let me know.
That would be great! Thanks.

James1414d

Reaction score
I like the sound, but I bet my neighbors wouldn't :ROFLMAO: . I installed the flow FX on mine. Louder then stock, but not overly so. It does sound nice when you get on it.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm getting one put in. I decided to go with a custom installed Outlaw muffler instead of the direct fit. My muffler shop will probably do a better job with the piping to and from the muffler, along with welding instead of clamping + tack welding of the Direct Fit model, while saving $150 or so.

Keeping the stock resonators for now, see how it sounds after it breaks in and can aways remove them later, but from what I hear, the stock resonators does a good job of preventing drone at highway speeds.

Cravenschild

Reaction score
I just like how I can actually tell if my truck remote started from my bedroom. When I first bought the truck it was a 50/50 gamble of if it started or not. Now I can hear the truck start from my upstairs room in the back of the house and am much happier with the overall tone of the exhaust.

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
I have the direct fit outlaw. It sounds good but nit as good as yours. I think that’s due to still having the 2 resonators right in front of the tailpipes. It does not sound all that great at idle and I’m thinking about removing them. Thanks for the info on the drone because that’s been my biggest concern. Great vid btw

So with the resonators you don’t get any drone in the cabin? Or is it like super mild where you kind of don’t even know it’s there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Reaction score
So with the resonators you don’t get any drone in the cabin? Or is it like super mild where you kind of don’t even know it’s there?

At about 2,000 rpm its practically silent at steady throttle, even more so if you disable MDS (done by setting the -+ gear settings on the steering wheel to 8).

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
At about 2,000 rpm its practically silent at steady throttle, even more so if you disable MDS (done by setting the -+ gear settings on the steering wheel to 8).

Very nice. I’m keeping the resonators. I want loud but not loud inside. The wife likes the silent cabin.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Very nice. I’m keeping the resonators. I want loud but not loud inside. The wife likes the silent cabin.

If you're easy on the pedal, you can keep it pretty quiet, however, there is a sweet spot in every gear where the exhaust will sing a beautiful burly note. It's going to be quite obvious you have an aftermarket exhaust inside the cab, especially in typical street driving.

But highway cruising or even street cruising at a constant speed, you should be just fine. I honestly love my exhaust, I don't think I would own this truck if I had to keep it stock now that I've experienced driving it with an exhaust.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
If you're easy on the pedal, you can keep it pretty quiet, however, there is a sweet spot in every gear where the exhaust will sing a beautiful burly note. It's going to be quite obvious you have an aftermarket exhaust inside the cab, especially in typical street driving.

But highway cruising or even street cruising at a constant speed, you should be just fine. I honestly love my exhaust, I don't think I would own this truck if I had to keep it stock now that I've experienced driving it with an exhaust.
Run Hemi Run!! How Sweet the Sound

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score

Got it on this afternoon and I have to say I am torn. I expected it to be much louder but the resonators do a good job of keeping it quiet. You are totally right at high cruising speed you can barely tell it’s there. Normal stop and go driving under 40 you can definitely hear it. To my surprise when it drops into eco mode it actually sounds louder. I didn’t think 4 cylinders could sound so loud. It’s just fine but I do yearn for the louder savagery without the resonators....but I kind of want that absolute quiet in the cab again. Can’t have your cake and eat it too I guess.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Got it on this afternoon and I have to say I am torn. I expected it to be much louder but the resonators do a good job of keeping it quiet. You are totally right at high cruising speed you can barely tell it’s there. Normal stop and go driving under 40 you can definitely hear it. To my surprise when it drops into eco mode it actually sounds louder. I didn’t think 4 cylinders could sound so loud. It’s just fine but I do yearn for the louder savagery without the resonators....but I kind of want that absolute quiet in the cab again. Can’t have your cake and eat it too I guess.

I thought the same thing, I wanted more at idle. But from what I've learned, 89 - 91 db is about what all these exhaust will do. In fact, muffler delete isn't much louder at idle.

The big one is not just the resonators, but at the idle rpm the Hemi is at. They just don't produce a loud idle regardless of exhaust. If you remove the resonators, you may not get the loudness you desire while making it drone in the cab. But you can always try it out and see, you can always have it welded back. You may want to remove the bigger single resonator just behind the cat first and see how that sounds before you do the two near the tips.

You're probably like me, we want louder exhaust. Most of the other exhaust mentioned are actually quieter. The Carven is about the same at idle, but has a more raspy/racey tone on throttle. Trust me though, even though the Outlaw doesn't have packing material to break-in, it seems to sound better as you put more mileage on it.

Last edited:

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
I thought the same thing, I wanted more at idle. But from what I've learned, 89 - 91 db is about what all these exhaust will do. In fact, muffler delete isn't much louder at idle.

The big one is not just the resonators, but at the idle rpm the Hemi is at. They just don't produce a loud idle regardless of exhaust. If you remove the resonators, you may not get the loudness you desire while making it drone in the cab. But you can always try it out and see, you can always have it welded back. You may want to remove the bigger single resonator just behind the cat first and see how that sounds before you do the two near the tips.

You're probably like me, we want louder exhaust. Most of the other exhaust mentioned are actually quieter. The Carven is about the same at idle, but has a more raspy/racey tone on throttle. Trust me though, even though the Outlaw doesn't have packing material to break-in, it seems to sound better as you put more mileage on it.

Yeah I was thinking about the idle. It is an 8 speed after-all. It always shifts up to keep the idle low. Mpgs after all. I had a 2003 Tahoe I put the 40 series on with a 3” drop down and that what’s I thought this would sound like. You are correct. I’m going to run this for a while and see what it all sounds like after a while. .

Jtc411

Reaction score
I’ve had mine on for about 3k miles and for the most part I like it. If the windows are rolled up and I’m cruising it’s kind of loud in the cab and especially in eco. It doesn’t bother me that much though. Better than 0 sound at all like stock

mustard54

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Flowmaster 40 series muffler? I was looking at the outlaw, but my local shop offered the 40 series as a comparable unit installed for half the cost of the outlaw. Wondering is anyone has their opinion or sound clip of the 5.7 with it installed?

I have the Series 40 on my and mine love it. Some drone when the MDS kicks in but otherwise it’s a nice sound. I did keep my resonators on as well.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
I’ve had mine on for about 3k miles and for the most part I like it. If the windows are rolled up and I’m cruising it’s kind of loud in the cab and especially in eco. It doesn’t bother me that much though. Better than 0 sound at all like stock
I've had mine now for about 5 days. It's quieter than my Charger R/T with the 5.7 Hemi. That one has a factory active exhaust and CAI. But I do like the low rumble at idle, and just enough growl during acceleration. Once the tranny hits 7th or 8th gear though, I generally don't hear anything inside the cabin. It's certainly not loud. Now I've heard some say that it's going to get louder as I put more miles on so we'll see if when I get to 3k miles, if i notice it more cruising inside the cab. Also, oddly enough, I've seen the truck go into eco and have not noticed a change at all with the exhaust note. I guess that's a good thing.........

Users who are viewing this thread