5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowmaster FlowFx

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on the FlowFX Direct Fit. I was really torn between the Outlaw and the FlowFX. I want something that lets you know it’s there without being “that guy”.

Ordered direct from FlowmasterMufflers.com and used promo code DEC15 for 15% off and a free sweatshirt and no tax. Says 3 day shipping on their site but we’ll see.

I am not super mechanically inclined but I feel like I should be able to do this myself. Any gotchas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dad

Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on the FlowFX Direct Fit. I was really torn between the Outlaw and the FlowFX. I want something that lets you know it’s there without being “that guy”.

Ordered direct from FlowmasterMufflers.com and used promo code DEC15 for 15% off and a free sweatshirt and no tax. Says 3 day shipping on their site but we’ll see.

I am not super mechanically inclined but I feel like I should be able to do this myself. Any gotchas?

Awesome! Thats the one im most likely going to be installing. Have not seen anything negative about it. Let us know how it went and would love to hear a video clip on it. Good Luck!

HotStuff

Reaction score
I found the Flowmaster FlowFX for our trucks on eBay for 229....
The other day I got a 15% off coupon from eBay and bought the muffler... Got it for 194 shipped... Should have it in a couple days, them installed this weekend hopefully.... I'll let y'all know!.... If I remember to....

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Part has already shipped and is scheduled for delivery on Thursday! It said it was a two piece shipment so I am assuming the sweatshirt comes in a separate box.

If I get it early enough I’ll pop it in otherwise the in-laws drop on Friday for the Holiday’s so May have to wait until the weekend.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Installed my Flowmaster Flow FX Direct Fit. Literally just finished tightening everything up when the wife got home. It’s a little louder than I expected and I would have normally been as happy as a clam if it weren’t for this forum. Now I hear the drone when MDS kicks in and the whisper from the resonators. Already want to do a delete and it’s only been on 30 minutes. Probably going to have to wait on that though. New shoes drop tomorrow.

Edit: I think the iPhone cut out because the sound was too loud

Lonestar21

Reaction score
Installed my Flowmaster Flow FX Direct Fit. Literally just finished tightening everything up when the wife got home. It’s a little louder than I expected and I would have normally been as happy as a clam if it weren’t for this forum. Now I hear the drone when MDS kicks in and the whisper from the resonators. Already want to do a delete and it’s only been on 30 minutes. Probably going to have to wait on that though. New shoes drop tomorrow.

It doesn’t sound that much different than stock :unsure:

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Maybe not on the iPhone video. 10/10 would do it again no question.

It’s definitely not obnoxiously loud but a noticeable difference. I am glad that I talked myself out of the Outlaw. This is perfect.

pber1

Reaction score

Sounds bad aśś! Pair it up with the Flowmaster direct fit delete and you’ll be golden!

Dad

Reaction score

Thanks for posting the video!!!!
Sounds awesome!
How did the install go? Any tips or tricks?
How long it take you?

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
I had no idea what I was doing and tried to error on the side of caution when cutting the old muffler off. This lead to me having to do a trim job after spending about 15 minutes to try and get it to fit. It took me exactly 1.5 hours and that meant crawling under the truck no less than 10 times. I didn’t raise the truck as the ReadyLift gave me enough room to work but would be pretty tight without it and would probably require some jack stands or ramps. If I had to do another one I think 30 minutes is pretty reasonable. Nothing hard or any gotchas if you follow the instructions.

Lonestar21

Reaction score
Maybe not on the iPhone video. 10/10 would do it again no question.

It’s definitely not obnoxiously loud but a noticeable difference. I am glad that I talked myself out of the Outlaw. This is perfect.

Probably that could be it .
I got the outlaw, initially it was too loud to me and I was going to remove it but it got quieter and the sound is perfect now. I was in between the flow fx and out law and only reason why I didn’t go with the flow fx was that it was too close to stock so not worth the mod to me. I

Bjansma

Reaction score
Probably that could be it .
I got the outlaw, initially it was too loud to me and I was going to remove it but it got quieter and the sound is perfect now. I was in between the flow fx and out law and only reason why I didn’t go with the flow fx was that it was too close to stock so not worth the mod to me. I
I have the outlaw as well and I love it. I have probably put about 2500 miles on since I put the muffler on and it is breaking in rather well.

NixG80

Reaction score
I have the outlaw as well and I love it. I have probably put about 2500 miles on since I put the muffler on and it is breaking in rather well.
I installed the direct fit Outlaw as well. At first I thought it was too much inside the cabin (dont care how loud it sounds outside, lol!) and was ready to replace it with another type but after having it on for over 200 miles now I thought the sounds was finally starting to grow on me and it didnt sound as bad anymore.

So what actually happens during this "break-in" period that melows out the sound?

Bjansma

Reaction score
I installed the direct fit Outlaw as well. At first I thought it was too much inside the cabin (dont care how loud it sounds outside, lol!) and was ready to replace it with another type but after having it on for over 200 miles now I thought the sounds was finally starting to grow on me and it didnt sound as bad anymore.

So what actually happens during this "break-in" period that melows out the sound?
I'm not 100 percent sure what changes. But I have noticed as well that the more miles you put on the muffler the better it sounds. I have around 3000 ish miles on mine and its just starting to sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread