5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fix for 'Device not supported'

i_squared_r

Reaction score
Hi. I wanted to post my experience to help other people. My brother was driving my truck while I was away 6 months and I just came home. My brother said the uconnect was giving a random error "Device not supported." I read online that it's a common problem with the USB hubs so I ordered a new front hub for $40 and put it in. No change. Disconnected the rear hub. No change. So I disconnected the battery cables and touched the cables together to completely reset everything. That fixed the problem. The backup camera and passenger heated/cooled seats stopped working for a while, but it all came back a few hours later. I hope this helps someone.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi. I wanted to post my experience to help other people. My brother was driving my truck while I was away 6 months and I just came home. My brother said the uconnect was giving a random error "Device not supported." I read online that it's a common problem with the USB hubs so I ordered a new front hub for $40 and put it in. No change. Disconnected the rear hub. No change. So I disconnected the battery cables and touched the cables together to completely reset everything. That fixed the problem. The backup camera and passenger heated/cooled seats stopped working for a while, but it all came back a few hours later. I hope this helps someone.
Just FYI, there is absolutely no reason to touch the battery cables together. Don't even need to remove both battery cables. Just disconnect negative cable for a few seconds and reconnect it. If you are feeling froggy, you can leave the drivers side door open.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
fyi

Does Touching Battery Cables Together Reset the Car Computer?​

Touching battery cables together will easily drain the capacitors, your vehicle’s clock will lose memory, and you may need to reset the radio stations. Additionally, the ECU’s fault codes will be cleared, the vehicle’s drivability will be erased, AC will take some time to relearn, and all the systems requiring security codes will need resetting.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
fyi

Does Touching Battery Cables Together Reset the Car Computer?​

Touching battery cables together will easily drain the capacitors, your vehicle’s clock will lose memory, and you may need to reset the radio stations. Additionally, the ECU’s fault codes will be cleared, the vehicle’s drivability will be erased, AC will take some time to relearn, and all the systems requiring security codes will need resetting.

Well, there it is. Found it on the Internet, so must be true. for those who know nothing about electronics, sure, do it to get that warm fuzzy that it makes a difference. Will it hurt anything? Not at all. Does it really make a difference? Also, not at all

ArcotRAMathorn

Reaction score
I had hub replaced by dealer. Works a little better, but still get this error. Finally tried usb a to usb c cable and as long as I insert the USB c side in the right orientation (it likes one way and not the other for some reason), it has worked perfectly

i_squared_r

Reaction score
Well, there it is. Found it on the Internet, so must be true. for those who know nothing about electronics, sure, do it to get that warm fuzzy that it makes a difference. Will it hurt anything? Not at all. Does it really make a difference? Also, not at all
It does. It's an old mechanics trick that we used to do to reset everything. Even if you disconnect the battery cables there's still some charge in the ECU's capacitors that keeps all the settings. When you touch the battery cables together, you essentially short the system, and the charge in the capacitors is dissipated as heat (it's minimal and harmless). You can achieve the same thing by disconnecting the battery for a extended time, idk, maybe a few days? But touching the cables together will instantly reset everything. I know, because I initially disconnected the cables for a few minutes and I still had the USB hub problem. I noticed the truck still had all my radio settings, so I disconnected the cables, touched them together, and then everything was fixed. The Uconnect lost all its settings so I know it worked. Source: I'm knowledgeable with electronics. I was a auto mechanic for 7 years and now I'm a electrical engineer in construction.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It does. It's an old mechanics trick that we used to do to reset everything. Even if you disconnect the battery cables there's still some charge in the ECU's capacitors that keeps all the settings. When you touch the battery cables together, you essentially short the system, and the charge in the capacitors is dissipated as heat (it's minimal and harmless). You can achieve the same thing by disconnecting the battery for a extended time, idk, maybe a few days? But touching the cables together will instantly reset everything. I know, because I initially disconnected the cables for a few minutes and I still had the USB hub problem. I noticed the truck still had all my radio settings, so I disconnected the cables, touched them together, and then everything was fixed. The Uconnect lost all its settings so I know it worked. Source: I'm knowledgeable with electronics. I was a auto mechanic for 7 years and now I'm a electrical engineer in construction.
Aren't the uconnect settings saved in non-volatile memory? It's running Android.
connecting the positive and negative cables together sounds like a good way to fry some sensitive components, but hey it's your truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Aren't the uconnect settings saved in non-volatile memory? It's running Android.
connecting the positive and negative cables together sounds like a good way to fry some sensitive components, but hey it's your truck.
Yes, radio settings are in non-volatile memory. Even touching battery cables together would not, or should not, clear them. Only thing that resets in mine, with battery disconnect, is the theme setting. Saved radio stations, and connected devices are all still there.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"Old mechanics trick" that says it all. Old mechanics also swear by 3k mile oil changes, will tell you Quakerstate and Penzzoil will gum up your engine, and that switching to synthetic oil will cause oil leaks.

There are enough electronics.on modern vehicles, that stay energized for longer periods, that as soon as you disconnect the battery, any residual voltage will drain out trying to keep those systems online.

Listing your resume doesn't help your cause any. Have had to fix enough problems, caused by electrical engineers who sit in front of computers, than I care to think about.

TittoPollito

Reaction score
"Old mechanics trick" that says it all. Old mechanics also swear by 3k mile oil changes, will tell you Quakerstate and Penzzoil will gum up your engine, and that switching to synthetic oil will cause oil leaks.

There are enough electronics.on modern vehicles, that stay energized for longer periods, that as soon as you disconnect the battery, any residual voltage will drain out trying to keep those systems online.

Listing your resume doesn't help your cause any. Have had to fix enough problems, caused by electrical engineers who sit in front of computers, than I care to think about.
I am no EE but I am a welder, machinist, and Metrology Engineer (R&D) on our test Aero ma planes we have to short the electrical system +- cables together to reset the D.C.N. system. The power tiles that run them in case of a major failure are for the most part a really smart UPS and that is the only way to drain them without hooking the power cart to the rig. Now in the service center they have the power cart that drains the whole system for battery replacement. Not saying/insinuating it works the same on the truck as I have no idea, but it does work on some electrical stuffffffs

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am no EE but I am a welder, machinist, and Metrology Engineer (R&D) on our test Aero ma planes we have to short the electrical system +- cables together to reset the D.C.N. system. The power tiles that run them in case of a major failure are for the most part a really smart UPS and that is the only way to drain them without hooking the power cart to the rig. Now in the service center they have the power cart that drains the whole system for battery replacement. Not saying/insinuating it works the same on the truck as I have no idea, but it does work on some electrical stuffffffs
Aviation is a totally different world.

Users who are viewing this thread