5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FIX***Cabin Noise/Booming / Rattle

KRField

Reaction score
Here is a write up I did for another forum. I have a 19 Bighorn Base 6 speaker audio. ANC was causing all kinds of issues. I like to hear my exhaust rumble and HEMI rev, ANC is not something I’m attached to. I will be redoing the audio (hence not wasting money on factory upgrades) and adding sound deadner where needed so I did this.

How to Disconnect ANC at amp.

So I have had a terrible time with the ANC system. After 2 trips to the dealer STAR has no clue on it after they replaced the amp. I inquired about disabling the system. STAR didn’t even know if it was possible. STAR want the vehicle to run some scans, but since it was not a drivability issue they would not pay for a loaner.

I didn’t want to fool with dropping the headliner and disconnecting the mics. So I obtained a wiring diagram for all stereo units. All the ANC mics used the same color across all units.

I have the 8.4 Base.

Locate Amp under driver seat. Move seat all the way forward and all the way up to have room to work.

FF922165-46E4-43CC-BA2C-B3DD65DABF08.jpeg
4D9A20CA-205C-4431-BE5B-E9574062F6CE.jpeg

Disconnect the signal out harness, on mine the large white one. Closest to the rear of vehicle on amp.

(Note take picture of wire orientation Incase you want to reconnect later)
1AA74B8F-07B3-46DC-98BC-E627C05314A4.jpeg

On the underside of the connector is a long flat pin locking mechanism, pry that up on the middle insert to release pin locks.

2A0789AD-E3C6-4ADA-AE9E-B676258EC02B.jpeg

It raises maybe an 1/8th”

11F49FE1-D40D-4CC3-AB2A-DE831510A417.jpeg
F85758F5-80B8-4EAA-B477-45D4F5AC1C24.jpeg

All my Mic wires were the 4 sets on the left of the connector.

Looking at the harness the ANC wire colors are (Main color/ Stripe Color)

Mic 1- Brown/Orange + | Brown/Violet -

Mic 2- Brown/White + | Brown/Grey -

Mic 3- Orange/Dark Blue + | Orange Dark Green -

Mic 4- Orange/Green + | Orange Blue -

Once wires are located looking in the connector you will see a white tab at the top of each pin hole

83399614-0852-4231-BC42-46C13FED382D.jpeg

Use a small screw driver, pick tool, or (what I used) a paper clip to slide the tab up. The wire pin will slide out.

Once all pins are out reconnect the connector to the amp, and test all systems to make sure function properly.
FEAB1CFC-7E36-4349-BC71-72971E932EC7.jpeg

Your ANC will now be disconnected.

*** PERFORM AT YOUR OWN RISK***

I am not responsible for any mishaps or damage you may cause by performing this procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 3A0B41AC-257F-4D0B-9D16-AC7927ACCCBD.jpeg
    3A0B41AC-257F-4D0B-9D16-AC7927ACCCBD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,394
Last edited:

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for this great write up, and for the pics; I’ll be following your path this afternoon. The ANC started off a little noisy and is now even worse - it is generating medium volume low hum/drone noises that vary with rpm.
UPDATE: At the dealership getting the ANC module replaced. Glad for this thread, helped me make it through the back-order delay.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@KRField did you have to reset the stereo system after removing the microphone connections? I have removed the eight microphone wires and plugged the connector back in... but no sound. I think I powered up with it disconnected once, so now I’m wondering if the truck thinks it is still unplugged. I will let the truck “sleep on it” and check in the morning.

KRField

Reaction score
@KRField did you have to reset the stereo system after removing the microphone connections? I have removed the eight microphone wires and plugged the connector back in... but no sound. I think I powered up with it disconnected once, so now I’m wondering if the truck thinks it is still unplugged. I will let the truck “sleep on it” and check in the morning.
No issues here. Pulled pins plugged harness back in and started the truck tested voice activation and calls. Everything works as it should with no issues

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No issues here. Pulled pins plugged harness back in and started the truck tested voice activation and calls. Everything works as it should with no issues
Eventually my system figured itself out... The reset overnight at first resulted in sound coming back but all four corners of the speakers getting criss crossed on the balance screen. Shut down, waited 30 minutes, came back and all worked fine. Sure wish we knew the no kidding soft reset procedure... still, your tutorial above worked great!

Mason1217

Reaction score
So all 4 of the mics in the headliner are for noise cancellation? I thought some were for that and others for like bluetooth phone call audio?

KRField

Reaction score
Eventually my system figured itself out... The reset overnight at first resulted in sound coming back but all four corners of the speakers getting criss crossed on the balance screen. Shut down, waited 30 minutes, came back and all worked fine. Sure wish we knew the no kidding soft reset procedure... still, your tutorial above worked great!
Hey no problem. I am have bugs with my 8.4. Sometimes CarPlay calls go to rear speakers, repeated drops and pick up of carplay recognition, random resets an black outs. It always seems to figure itself out. Don’t know if that’s good or bad. It’s pushing me real hard to get the lifetime service contract.

Cmiller18y

Reaction score
Just did this and it worked! Thanks! I changrd my speakers and the speakers were making a drone until i cut the anc wires.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have it too, but it's only so often. I think these things have it from the factory to be honest because there are a lot of reports even without replacement speakers. When I swapped mine I noticed it, but possibly only because the bass response of the aftermarket speakers was quite a bit better.

Hope Ram gets this fixed.

Did you notice any cabin quietness difference after disconnecting?

Jtbarrett88

Reaction score
Pretty sure I have this same freakin issue. really disappointed with Ram at this point . Drone between 1500-1800 rpm

KRField

Reaction score
I have it too, but it's only so often. I think these things have it from the factory to be honest because there are a lot of reports even without replacement speakers. When I swapped mine I noticed it, but possibly only because the bass response of the aftermarket speakers was quite a bit better.

Hope Ram gets this fixed.

Did you notice any cabin quietness difference after disconnecting?

Not really, of course I disconnected early on. I have other noises concerning the truck now that over rides road noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unhooked mine today. Very helpful. Thanks. I just did the 4 +s though.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Update on my ANC noise problem: the service bulletins were done including the ANC module replacement but the noise persisted. Ram opened a STAR case a month ago and today I’m going in to have the service department check the software again and supposedly order an updated ANC. We’ll see how it goes.

In the meantime I continue to run with ANC deactivated, and my driving experience is a-ok that way.

EJanx07

Reaction score
Looking back I probably should have done the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I really want to do this... sorry for extra questions, I’m not really educated in this stuff.. what exactly are the “4 +s”? I had a car audio tech, install an amp and subwoofer.
I didn’t have any ANC issues before this.
But now, it’s ridiculous on the amount of motor/exhaust noise that now comes/picks up only out of the sub now, During low rpm’s etc. I know it’s the ANC causing this. The installer says he’s stumped, and doesn’t know why it’s doing that... he said he’s gonna do some research and give me a call next week.
I’m just trying to get clarification on exactly what I need to do, to deactivate only the ANC portion, so I don’t screw something up and not be able to use Bluetooth/calling etc... and cause all sorts of issues.
Thanks!

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I really want to do this... sorry for extra questions, I’m not really educated in this stuff.. what exactly are the “4 +s”? I had a car audio tech, install an amp and subwoofer.
I didn’t have any ANC issues before this.
But now, it’s ridiculous on the amount of motor/exhaust noise that now comes/picks up only out of the sub now, During low rpm’s etc. I know it’s the ANC causing this. The installer says he’s stumped, and doesn’t know why it’s doing that... he said he’s gonna do some research and give me a call next week.
I’m just trying to get clarification on exactly what I need to do, to deactivate only the ANC portion, so I don’t screw something up and not be able to use Bluetooth/calling etc... and cause all sorts of issues.
Thanks!

Your answer is in the original post of this thread with pics, where OP discusses the + and - wires for each of the four microphones. Look for this:
Looking at the harness the ANC wire colors are (Main color/ Stripe Color)
Mic 1- Brown/Orange + | Brown/Violet -
Mic 2- Brown/White + | Brown/Grey -
Mic 3- Orange/Dark Blue + | Orange Dark Green -
Mic 4- Orange/Green + | Orange Blue -
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/