5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FIX***Cabin Noise/Booming / Rattle

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting that low drone at low RPM when accelerating in ECO mode. Could this be the same problem and fix?
It may or may not be, as although there is a droning malfunction common to ANCs on 6 speaker models there is also a completely normal change in engine sound with ECO. I’ve taught myself to recognize the “normal” ECO mode sound by modulating the throttle and listening... ease off coasting downhill and you’ll hear a gentle “wub wub wub wub...” (~4 hz?) that’s normal ECO mode under 4 cylinders.

The ANC loud drone/hum malfunction noise is usually made worse by increasing rpm under acceleration. Mine would start loudly at specific rpm points and I could get it “hum on command.”. Easily repeatable, but not all are behaving this way I guess.

Hope this helped.

Jmsmith716

Reaction score
Here is a write up I did for another forum. I have a 19 Bighorn Base 6 speaker audio. ANC was causing all kinds of issues. I like to hear my exhaust rumble and HEMI rev, ANC is not something I’m attached to. I will be redoing the audio (hence not wasting money on factory upgrades) and adding sound deadner where needed so I did this.

How to Disconnect ANC at amp.

So I have had a terrible time with the ANC system. After 2 trips to the dealer STAR has no clue on it after they replaced the amp. I inquired about disabling the system. STAR didn’t even know if it was possible. STAR want the vehicle to run some scans, but since it was not a drivability issue they would not pay for a loaner.

I didn’t want to fool with dropping the headliner and disconnecting the mics. So I obtained a wiring diagram for all stereo units. All the ANC mics used the same color across all units.

I have the 8.4 Base.

Locate Amp under driver seat. Move seat all the way forward and all the way up to have room to work.

View attachment 6794
View attachment 6787

Disconnect the signal out harness, on mine the large white one. Closest to the rear of vehicle on amp.

(Note take picture of wire orientation Incase you want to reconnect later)
View attachment 6795

On the underside of the connector is a long flat pin locking mechanism, pry that up on the middle insert to release pin locks.

View attachment 6791

It raises maybe an 1/8th”

View attachment 6792
View attachment 6790

All my Mic wires were the 4 sets on the left of the connector.

Looking at the harness the ANC wire colors are (Main color/ Stripe Color)

Mic 1- Brown/Orange + | Brown/Violet -

Mic 2- Brown/White + | Brown/Grey -

Mic 3- Orange/Dark Blue + | Orange Dark Green -

Mic 4- Orange/Green + | Orange Blue -

Once wires are located looking in the connector you will see a white tab at the top of each pin hole

View attachment 6793

Use a small screw driver, pick tool, or (what I used) a paper clip to slide the tab up. The wire pin will slide out.

Once all pins are out reconnect the connector to the amp, and test all systems to make sure function properly.
View attachment 6789

Your ANC will now be disconnected.

*** PERFORM AT YOUR OWN RISK***

I am not responsible for any mishaps or damage you may cause by performing this procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you tell a difference when the anc was unplugged? Do you hear more “road noise”?

James Cole

Reaction score
For those who have done this mod, is sound quality improved when disabling ANC?

Drako3145

Reaction score
I’m glad I found this post, I ran into the same problem. I took my 19 ram 1500 for an sound upgrade and everything was fine while the windows were down. Then all that hum sound was horrible. I follow the instructions of how to disconnect the (ANC) and boom now works perfect. I even saved some money because I didn’t have to buy the DSR1 so thank you so much!!!!

Maestro

Reaction score
Is there anyway to disconnect the ANC on a 2019 2500 Tradesman? It gives me a headache, ANC gives me a headache on United flights, too. I have to use earbuds.

Raydar

Reaction score
Electronics geek, here. Has anyone tried reversing the wires to the microphones? (Or maybe to their new speakers?)
If I understand ANC, it supposed to generate a sound that is exactly 180 degrees out of phase with the "original" sound, so that they cancel each other out.
If the polarity was reversed, anywhere in that loop, they would tend to be "additive", and would actually build upon one another.
Maybe overly simplistic, but the theory is correct. (Perhaps not in actual usage, here.)

badassbaldie

Reaction score
I just wanted to thank both the OP and everyone on this thread that provided helpful information.

Yesterday, I upgraded the 6 speakers in my 2019 Ram. I installed 6.5” kickers in the front doors, 6x9” in the rears and 3.5” dash tweeters. I also added a Rockville slimline 10” amplified sub underneath the rear seat. The installation went well and it sounded great until I drove the truck to work. Then the ANC went crazy.

The best way I can describe the sound is an exhaust that has an unbearable drone. So much to the point that my ears were hurting. Actually, I did initially think my newly installed mufflex muffler delete had somehow came undone. Turns out it was the ANC module.

I ended up disconnecting all the positive leads for each of the four microphones from the wire harness underneath the driver’s seat. Problem solved.

I’m not sure if the addition of the speakers, sub and exhaust contributed to the ANC issue I had. Funny thing is, it was fine with the exhaust upgrade and stock speakers up to this point. My truck just turned 200 miles.

I highly advise anyone who’s planning on upgrading their stock speakers and/or adding an aftermarket sub to budget for the wire harness that bypasses the ANC. I would have spent the extra $35 knowing it was simple as plug & play.

At the very least, plan on doing the wire terminal mod as described in this thread.

Thanks again for all those that contributed!

Last edited:

Reaper_6A

Reaction score
I took a chance with that website and I got the harness today. Let me tell you that it worked like a charm. The part is high quality, the customer service awesome and shipping was very fast.

Ordered mine today. Thanks for the heads up. I miss the days of just replacing the head unit when you upgraded your stereo :(

Repsol69

Reaction score
I just wanted to thank both the OP and everyone on this thread that provided helpful information.

Yesterday, I upgraded the 6 speakers in my 2019 Ram. I installed 6.5” kickers in the front doors, 6x9” in the rears and 3.5” dash tweeters. I also added a Rockdale slimline 10” amplified sub underneath the rear seat. The installation went well and it sounded great until I drove the truck to work. Then the ANC went crazy.

The best way I can describe the sound is an exhaust that has an unbearable drone. So much to the point that my ears were hurting. Actually, I did initially think my newly installed mufflex muffler delete had somehow came undone. Turns out it was the ANC module.

I ended up disconnecting all the positive leads for each of the four microphones from the wire harness underneath the driver’s seat. Problem solved.

I’m not sure if the addition of the speakers, sub and exhaust contributed to the ANC issue I had. Funny thing is, it was fine with the exhaust upgrade and stick speakers up to this point. My truck just turned 200 miles.

I highly advise anyone who’s planning on upgrading their stock speakers and/or adding an aftermarket sub to budget for the wire harness that bypasses the ANC. I would have spent the extra $35 knowing it was simple as plug & play.

At the very least, plan on doing the wire terminal mod as described in this thread.

Thanks again for all those that contributed!

Do you have a parts list by chance?? Also the bypass harness....any problem with the door speakers not fitting (depth)?? Thx

badassbaldie

Reaction score
Do you have a parts list by chance?? Also the bypass harness....any problem with the door speakers not fitting (depth)?? Thx

Sure:

dash corner speakers - Kicker CSC35 (3.5")
front & back doors - Kicker CSC693 (6x9")
slimline Subwoofer - Rockville RW10CA 10" amplified subwoofer

No problems with speaker depth. Just make sure you zip tie the speaker harnesses so they don't get caught up in the window. They are about 6" longer than stock.

I bought all the kicker products from Crutchfield. They will include the necessary speaker harnesses and their customer support is great. Prices are on par with Amazon, ebay etc.

I bought the Rockville 10" subwoofer on ebay. Don't let the size of these fool you...they sound great. Won't shake the neighborhood but that's not what I wanted anyways. Fits nicely underneath my rear seat. Definitely worth the $120 I paid for it.

Lastly, I didn't buy the bypass harness for the ANC...I simply disconnected the positive leads for the mics. I believe someone linked one of the vendors that sells them on the 1st page of this thread.

Hope this helps!

KidCutti

Reaction score
Don’t over complicate it if you have the duel pane sunroof. The ANC mics can be unplugged when you pop the headliner loose from velcro squares that support it at various locations around your sunroof. I suggest putting a razor blade on the end of a long skinny extension or using an exact-o knife to cut the masking tape that is taped over the plugs so that you can grab them, bring them closer to your fingertips, and unplug them with less struggle. I was able to unplug the 4 ANC mics in under 15 minutes.

My reason for the disconnect was because I added two 10” subs in a custom built box under the rear seats. The ANC would play a “drone” tone through the subs and I also wanted to gain volume and clarity which can be achieved by disconnecting the ANC. My system sounds incredible now and I think the lack of ANC with the radio off is unnoticeable. Could be just a cheeper method RAM has come up with to cut down on sound dampening material costs. If you like your sound system then give this a try.

KidCutti

Reaction score
Here is a write up I did for another forum. I have a 19 Bighorn Base 6 speaker audio. ANC was causing all kinds of issues. I like to hear my exhaust rumble and HEMI rev, ANC is not something I’m attached to. I will be redoing the audio (hence not wasting money on factory upgrades) and adding sound deadner where needed so I did this.

How to Disconnect ANC at amp.

So I have had a terrible time with the ANC system. After 2 trips to the dealer STAR has no clue on it after they replaced the amp. I inquired about disabling the system. STAR didn’t even know if it was possible. STAR want the vehicle to run some scans, but since it was not a drivability issue they would not pay for a loaner.

I didn’t want to fool with dropping the headliner and disconnecting the mics. So I obtained a wiring diagram for all stereo units. All the ANC mics used the same color across all units.

I have the 8.4 Base.

Locate Amp under driver seat. Move seat all the way forward and all the way up to have room to work.

View attachment 6794
View attachment 6787

Disconnect the signal out harness, on mine the large white one. Closest to the rear of vehicle on amp.

(Note take picture of wire orientation Incase you want to reconnect later)
View attachment 6795

On the underside of the connector is a long flat pin locking mechanism, pry that up on the middle insert to release pin locks.

View attachment 6791

It raises maybe an 1/8th”

View attachment 6792
View attachment 6790

All my Mic wires were the 4 sets on the left of the connector.

Looking at the harness the ANC wire colors are (Main color/ Stripe Color)

Mic 1- Brown/Orange + | Brown/Violet -

Mic 2- Brown/White + | Brown/Grey -

Mic 3- Orange/Dark Blue + | Orange Dark Green -

Mic 4- Orange/Green + | Orange Blue -

Once wires are located looking in the connector you will see a white tab at the top of each pin hole

View attachment 6793

Use a small screw driver, pick tool, or (what I used) a paper clip to slide the tab up. The wire pin will slide out.

Once all pins are out reconnect the connector to the amp, and test all systems to make sure function properly.
View attachment 6789

Your ANC will now be disconnected.

*** PERFORM AT YOUR OWN RISK***

I am not responsible for any mishaps or damage you may cause by performing this procedure.

Don’t over complicate it if you have the duel pane sunroof. The ANC mics can be unplugged when you pop the headliner loose from velcro squares that support it at various locations around your sunroof. I suggest putting a razor blade on the end of a long skinny extension or using an exact-o knife to cut the masking tape that is taped over the plugs so that you can grab them, bring them closer to your fingertips, and unplug them with less struggle. I was able to unplug the 4 ANC mics in under 15 minutes.

My reason for the disconnect was because I added two 10” subs in a custom built box under the rear seats. The ANC would play a “drone” tone through the subs and I also wanted to gain volume and clarity which can be achieved by disconnecting the ANC. My system sounds incredible now and I think the lack of ANC with the radio off is unnoticeable. Could be just a cheeper method RAM has come up with to cut down on sound dampening material costs. If you like your sound system then give this a try.

Attachments

• 568E6C45-B733-4CE9-A0EB-C2EDE5E5F516.jpeg
    568E6C45-B733-4CE9-A0EB-C2EDE5E5F516.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 77187A0F-40CC-484E-BFB8-165F01D19519.jpeg
    77187A0F-40CC-484E-BFB8-165F01D19519.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 158

TEXAG

Reaction score
Ive read some accounts on here saying the TSB didnt fix the common ANC issue, So i disconnected the wires under the driver seat as well. This does indeed disable the ANC. So I am happy.

OP’s instructions are great. It just took me awhile to complete only because it took me forever to identify the “white tab” you have to pull up on the front end of the connector so that the wires come out of the back of the connector. But once I finally got the first one out, the rest came out quickly.

Would highly recommend this to anyone suffering from the obnoxious ANC drone. GREAT JOB OP!!!!(y)

Reaction score
I'm taking my truck in on Monday for this issue. If they cant fix it can they at least disable it? It does it all the time at certain speeds but sometimes when I start the truck up it just keeps doing it so it must be a problem with the speakers (at least I think)

KRField

Reaction score
I'm taking my truck in on Monday for this issue. If they cant fix it can they at least disable it? It does it all the time at certain speeds but sometimes when I start the truck up it just keeps doing it so it must be a problem with the speakers (at least I think)

YMMV my dealer said they couldn’t disable it but gave me the wire diagram for the system.

DennisY

Reaction score
Great thread here. I looked at my under seat harness today and decided to buy the bypass harness instead. It was challenging for me to make out the colors on the wires in some cases. Just seemed to be easier to order the harness. (And easier to undo later when (if?) I sell the truck. That said, sure seems like a miss on FCA's part to not provide a recalibration option in the dealer's software. Surely the factory has to calibrate ANC before shipping the truck to the dealer. A re-calibrate option seems like a no brainer. Perhaps one exists and our dealers haven't received the info yet. Anyway, looking forward to receipt and installation of the bypass harness, and elimination of the drone rumble. Oddly, I didn't have it with my first sub amp but that amp had to be replaced due to overheating. I bought a higher power one so that the amp could loaf along more. And NOW I have the drone sound. Who would think?

I should mention that I sometimes get the rumble even with the radio volume turned all the way down. That makes no sense to me if ANC is indeed the culprit. Since there are many reporting success disabling it, I am proceeding down the road of disabling it as others have done.

Carbon777

Reaction score
Has anyone done this to a 2500? Have a 2019 with same issue after an amplifier install with subs. Would love to disconnect the ANC but I can’t even find the factory amplifier for the alpine system . Any feedback would be greatly appreciated .

Snocoon

Reaction score
Has anyone done this to a 2500? Have a 2019 with same issue after an amplifier install with subs. Would love to disconnect the ANC but I can’t even find the factory amplifier for the alpine system . Any feedback would be greatly appreciated .
Yes, just did this yesterday in my 2019 3500 to eliminate a droning noise that was playing through my subs. Factory Alpine Amplifier is near the OBDII port/ E-brake. You will find 3 connectors into the amp (Large grey, small grey & a Large white connector). I recommend unplugging all 3 for additional harness slack and you will be de-pinning on the white connector.

I de-pinned the 4 positives for the ANC outlined below; 1576462596918.png

archang3l

Reaction score
Wow thank you for posting this! Will be adding amp and sub but heard lots of complaints from trucks with ANC and aftermarkets subs. This is what a lot are recommending to do without buying the expensive parts to do it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread