5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FIX***Cabin Noise/Booming / Rattle

nlindste

Reaction score
A lot of misspelled words in the ad. Must be from a Chinese individual or company that doesnt speak English well. Ads like that make me nervous.
I saw that too but the harness shipped to me for the US and it is high quality, (thicker gauge wiring and just feel).

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Although the original intent of this thread was to explain a workaround for the malfunctioning/droning ANC problem (by unpinning the four microphones thus disabling the automatic noise cancelling system), I thought this might also be a good place to post my updates as I work with the service department on an actual ANC fix so I can get it back in action.

So far I’ve been through a software update and two ANC Module replacements with no luck; I have heard from some that this fixed their problem but it didn’t work for me. Service also opened up a STAR case for me so I am working back and forth with them as they get more guidance from the Hive Mind ;). (Note: I’ll get the ANC part number from under my seat shortly and see if it has been updated from previous 68369374AD - UPDATE yes, new ANC module part number is installed 68312240AG)

Most recently service has reconnected my ANC and unplugged the Active Vibration Cancellation Module or AVCM (68290387AC), which appears to be a box fastened to the firewall behind the battery. The tech said this also deactivates ANC, though without a second opinion I’m not sure I would recommend this as a technique. Service will try replacing the AVCM when the part arrives; I’ll keep you all posted.

Last edited:

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Although the original intent of this thread was to explain a workaround for the malfunctioning/droning ANC problem (by unpinning the four microphones thus disabling the automatic noise cancelling system), I thought this might also be a good place to post my updates as I work with the service department on an actual ANC fix so I can get it back in action.

So far I’ve been through a software update and two ANC Module replacements with no luck; I have heard from some that this fixed their problem but it didn’t work for me. Service also opened up a STAR case for me so I am working back and forth with them as they get more guidance from the Hive Mind ;). (Note: I’ll get the ANC part number from under my seat shortly and see if it has been updated from previous 68369374AD - UPDATE yes, new ANC module part number is installed 68312240AG)

Most recently service has reconnected my ANC and unplugged the Active Vibration Cancellation Module or AVCM (68290387AC), which appears to be a box fastened to the firewall behind the battery. The tech said this also deactivates ANC, though without a second opinion I’m not sure I would recommend this as a technique. Service will try replacing the AVCM when the part arrives; I’ll keep you all posted.
AVCM replacement made no difference, still hearing the drone/hum from the audio system at specific RPM points even when stationary. Moving my saga over to this thread which seems to have more folks experiencing the problem: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/loud-rumbling-revving-noise.2100/post-123436

dboy

Reaction score
Thanks for keeping us updated. I unplugged the pins, but would love to be able to have my ANC back.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for keeping us updated. I unplugged the pins, but would love to be able to have my ANC back.
I can only recommend taking the time to have service go through their service bulletins and part swaps on your truck (if you haven’t already)... maybe one of their fixes will work for you, and they can’t fix what they don’t know about. More malfunction data points for them is good for us. Good luck.

Epfireman

Reaction score
Isn’t it madness this has been going on for at least a year and Ram can’t fix it... one more visit on this issue my truck qualifies for a Lemon law vehicle in Florida... and I’ve only got 1500 miles on mine... this technology has been around for years in headphone and planes but Ram can’t figure it out.. I really don’t think they’ve put in any effort into it

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It is frustrating I’ll give you that. I’m focusing on the many positives of my truck and just chipping away at what I’ve decided is a minor inconvenience (ANC deactivated until further notice). I’m not giving up on them making it right, and I’ll even help them figure it out if they let me... but I’m trying not to let it ruin my first year with this truck.

Service should confirm where the sound is coming from (speakers, vibration modules). Next plug into the ANC unit to determine why the drone/hum signal is being generated there. Work backwards from there et viola!

KRField

Reaction score
It is frustrating I’ll give you that. I’m focusing on the many positives of my truck and just chipping away at what I’ve decided is a minor inconvenience (ANC deactivated until further notice). I’m not giving up on them making it right, and I’ll even help them figure it out if they let me... but I’m trying not to let it ruin my first year with this truck.

Service should confirm where the sound is coming from (speakers, vibration modules). Next plug into the ANC unit to determine why the drone/hum signal is being generated there. Work backwards from there et viola!

I fully believe it’s software related. Like tuning a DSP in a full active stereo setup, minor tweaks can make big differences in performance. I don’t think they did proper testing with tunes under different conditions (i.e. multiple objects/bodies in cab) with mic response to vehicle load. Alas we have no way to access the system to custom tune. It would be nice to have preset tunes for it based on different cab fills like 1,2,3,or 4 people in the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danny0550_1

Reaction score
To those that have been having difficulty unpinning the harness or if you don't want to to do it, I came across this bypass harness for the ANC. The harness is excellent quality and is direct plug in play.
I am not affilitated with the company at all but wanted to share the harness.

I took a chance with that website and I got the harness today. Let me tell you that it worked like a charm. The part is high quality, the customer service awesome and shipping was very fast.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I took a chance with that website and I got the harness today. Let me tell you that it worked like a charm. The part is high quality, the customer service awesome and shipping was very fast.
Nice. Any close up pics of it? Could it potentially be wired to tap into the audio signal?

nlindste

Reaction score
Nice. Any close up pics of it? Could it potentially be wired to tap into the audio signal?

I think that it could be easily tapped into for the audio signal which would avoid messing with the factory wires.

Attachments

• IMG_20190408_132916.jpg
    IMG_20190408_132916.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20190408_132922.jpg
    IMG_20190408_132922.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20190408_132934.jpg
    IMG_20190408_132934.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20190408_132941.jpg
    IMG_20190408_132941.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20190408_133004.jpg
    IMG_20190408_133004.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 129

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna post this elsewhere too, updating my ANC saga, good news. TSB 08-033-19 software flash worked for me, ANC is hooked back up and finally not droning at me! If you’ve disco’d yours because it was malfunctioning consider getting the TSB done and hooking it back up.

Bwells87

Reaction score
do you have any issues with the hands free operation ( for voice commands and/ or phone calls) with this harness?

Tukkayak

Reaction score
Here is a write up I did for another forum. I have a 19 Bighorn Base 6 speaker audio. ANC was causing all kinds of issues. I like to hear my exhaust rumble and HEMI rev, ANC is not something I’m attached to. I will be redoing the audio (hence not wasting money on factory upgrades) and adding sound deadner where needed so I did this.

How to Disconnect ANC at amp.

So I have had a terrible time with the ANC system. After 2 trips to the dealer STAR has no clue on it after they replaced the amp. I inquired about disabling the system. STAR didn’t even know if it was possible. STAR want the vehicle to run some scans, but since it was not a drivability issue they would not pay for a loaner.

I didn’t want to fool with dropping the headliner and disconnecting the mics. So I obtained a wiring diagram for all stereo units. All the ANC mics used the same color across all units.

I have the 8.4 Base.

Locate Amp under driver seat. Move seat all the way forward and all the way up to have room to work.

View attachment 6794
View attachment 6787

Disconnect the signal out harness, on mine the large white one. Closest to the rear of vehicle on amp.

(Note take picture of wire orientation Incase you want to reconnect later)
View attachment 6795

On the underside of the connector is a long flat pin locking mechanism, pry that up on the middle insert to release pin locks.

View attachment 6791

It raises maybe an 1/8th”

View attachment 6792
View attachment 6790

All my Mic wires were the 4 sets on the left of the connector.

Looking at the harness the ANC wire colors are (Main color/ Stripe Color)

Mic 1- Brown/Orange + | Brown/Violet -

Mic 2- Brown/White + | Brown/Grey -

Mic 3- Orange/Dark Blue + | Orange Dark Green -

Mic 4- Orange/Green + | Orange Blue -

Once wires are located looking in the connector you will see a white tab at the top of each pin hole

View attachment 6793

Use a small screw driver, pick tool, or (what I used) a paper clip to slide the tab up. The wire pin will slide out.

Once all pins are out reconnect the connector to the amp, and test all systems to make sure function properly.
View attachment 6789

Your ANC will now be disconnected.

*** PERFORM AT YOUR OWN RISK***

I am not responsible for any mishaps or damage you may cause by performing this procedure.

I wanted to offer up a HUGE THANK YOU!!! I knew exactly what my problem was as I had ran into this problem with a 2014 Honda Accord after installing an amp and sub. My amp and sub install went perfectly until the ANC kicked in. I disconnected the 6 wires as you had outlined and problem solved!

Again- thank you for taking your time to outline this how to in such an easy to follow step by step.

Regards,
TJ

Jmsmith716

Reaction score
Here is a write up I did for another forum. I have a 19 Bighorn Base 6 speaker audio. ANC was causing all kinds of issues. I like to hear my exhaust rumble and HEMI rev, ANC is not something I’m attached to. I will be redoing the audio (hence not wasting money on factory upgrades) and adding sound deadner where needed so I did this.

How to Disconnect ANC at amp.

So I have had a terrible time with the ANC system. After 2 trips to the dealer STAR has no clue on it after they replaced the amp. I inquired about disabling the system. STAR didn’t even know if it was possible. STAR want the vehicle to run some scans, but since it was not a drivability issue they would not pay for a loaner.

I didn’t want to fool with dropping the headliner and disconnecting the mics. So I obtained a wiring diagram for all stereo units. All the ANC mics used the same color across all units.

I have the 8.4 Base.

Locate Amp under driver seat. Move seat all the way forward and all the way up to have room to work.

View attachment 6794
View attachment 6787

Disconnect the signal out harness, on mine the large white one. Closest to the rear of vehicle on amp.

(Note take picture of wire orientation Incase you want to reconnect later)
View attachment 6795

On the underside of the connector is a long flat pin locking mechanism, pry that up on the middle insert to release pin locks.

View attachment 6791

It raises maybe an 1/8th”

View attachment 6792
View attachment 6790

All my Mic wires were the 4 sets on the left of the connector.

Looking at the harness the ANC wire colors are (Main color/ Stripe Color)

Mic 1- Brown/Orange + | Brown/Violet -

Mic 2- Brown/White + | Brown/Grey -

Mic 3- Orange/Dark Blue + | Orange Dark Green -

Mic 4- Orange/Green + | Orange Blue -

Once wires are located looking in the connector you will see a white tab at the top of each pin hole

View attachment 6793

Use a small screw driver, pick tool, or (what I used) a paper clip to slide the tab up. The wire pin will slide out.

Once all pins are out reconnect the connector to the amp, and test all systems to make sure function properly.
View attachment 6789

Your ANC will now be disconnected.

*** PERFORM AT YOUR OWN RISK***

I am not responsible for any mishaps or damage you may cause by performing this procedure.

I think I’m in the same boat as you. I changed my front speakers and now if I turn the radio up past 30 it sounds like garbage and the audio cuts out momentarily at times in the dash. Is that the same issue you were having?

Aprex

Reaction score
Gonna post this elsewhere too, updating my ANC saga, good news. TSB 08-033-19 software flash worked for me, ANC is hooked back up and finally not droning at me! If you’ve disco’d yours because it was malfunctioning consider getting the TSB done and hooking it back up.

Does software flash come from the dealer? I just bought my truck last week and hit 1k kms today. The noise just started as I was heading away for the weekend.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does software flash come from the dealer? I just bought my truck last week and hit 1k kms today. The noise just started as I was heading away for the weekend.
Yes. If it stops when you roll down the window, and if you can “control it” making the sound by adjusting your rpm even in park it’s probably the ANC. Take it in, describe the noise and mention the TSB. Good luck.

Fidomac

Reaction score
I'm getting that low drone at low RPM when accelerating in ECO mode. Could this be the same problem and fix?
How can you accelerate in eco mode.? If i touch the gas my eco goes off

Users who are viewing this thread