5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FIX! > 2022 1500 eTorque - Tow/Haul Mode causes LIMP MODE (Star Case S2221000001/TSB 08-93-22)

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score
So apparently driving in "Tow/Haul" mode is now a bad thing on some 2022 1500's (w/eTorque ONLY??) ...

** Anyone else running into this issue? **

(Please keep comments related to the issue)

Official Star Case #/Reference : S2221000001

My Truck's Case #: S102093895

U0402 >> PCM > Implausible Data from TCM

B22A9-00 > DSM > ECU internal performance

Issue : Truck goes into Limp Mode when Tow/Haul mode is selected

------------------------------------

My 2022 Rebel 1500 eTorque, 3.92, 33 Gal, Lim. Slip (picked up 3/8/22) has gone into Limp Mode 3x in 15 days while driving below 40mph in town (trans limited to 3rd gear & check engine light comes on).

Driving in regular mode is fine, no issues with stop/start etc.

Not sure if it's related to having the eTorque or not???

** My local dealer has another truck that apparently does the same thing (2022 Laramie GT).

Stellantis Star rep indicated to dealer a "Software update is expected in April to resolve the known issue" but that it was also "On Hold" and the case was closed with it operating " as expected ".

** I have a good relationship with my dealer and the service department and it appears their hands are tied on this one until Stellantis gets around to fixing this issue ...

... which I have never had on any of the other 4 Rams I have owned or the 19 Laramie 5.7 eTorque which I drove in Tow/Haul Mode regularly. (I like the shift points better)

** My hope here is that if anyone else is having this issue, they can be connected to/reference the Star Case mentioned above to get some traction on the SW update for the TCM !!

Please respond back if your do!

Thanks.

4/27/22 Edit:
TSB 08-093-22 was released recently for the fix/update to the Hybrid Control Module!
SEE ATTACHED PICTURE (Thanks to cbty2050)

582e8d092449f38608c0bf524b6e289d.jpg

8d0d4d381a2cd87bbc99d7efd46ef406.jpg

18707702f9ea1f25848d5a83300d72b8.jpg

Main Star Case Reference: (thanks @Cbty2050 )
a17cacc446fbcab14bc82c4053e8c0f3.jpg

April 2022 TSB 08-93-22 Hybrid Module Update SW Fix!
07f183f6910cf8c58d89a8441a9888e8.jpg

Last edited:

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Yes. Mine does the same. There is a whole thread somewhere about it as well.

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score
Yes. Mine does the same. There is a whole thread somewhere about it as well.
Let me know if you find the thread... I believe didn't see it.

Have u been to the dealer for the issue or have a case number? What were you told?

What year is your truck?
1500?
eTorque?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
No dealer no case number….
My truck details are in my signature….

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that star case # is for your specific vin and repair, there is not a star publication yet. In short Ram knows of a problem and they are working on the repair.

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score
True... But the more data points on this the merrier.

allenmj

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing today.

I'm livid.

My dealer/service team acted like I was crazy when I told them about this thread. They said they've never heard of such a thing.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing today.

I'm livid.

My dealer/service team acted like I was crazy when I told them about this thread. They said they've never heard of such a thing.
If they haven't seen the concern and contact star how would they know of it? Just because you saw it on a "forum" doesn't make it true. Give them a break, there is no way you can see everything all the time.

allenmj

Reaction score
If they haven't seen the concern and contact star how would they know of it? Just because you saw it on a "forum" doesn't make it true. Give them a break, there is no way you can see everything all the time.

So you're saying that everyone else here in this thread who have experienced the same thing are wrong and the dealer is right?

With all respect, friend.. I won't "give them a break". I don't think it's unreasonable for me to expect that my brand new truck actually works and a feature (Tow/Haul Mode) Actually be usable as intended.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I've also had this issue, but while towing our camper. Happened to me twice now. Haven't been able to get the code read with an active CEL, but did have the U0402 code stored. No issues other than that, truck drove fine after a power cycle, and the CEL went away on its own.

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score
So you're saying that everyone else here in this thread who have experienced the same thing are wrong and the dealer is right?

With all respect, friend.. I won't "give them a break". I don't think it's unreasonable for me to expect that my brand new truck actually works and a feature (Tow/Haul Mode) Actually be usable as intended.
@ramcares

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Not what I said at all. If they haven't looked at another truck with the same concern, how would they know about it? Is yours the 1st one they have seen? IF engineering is working on it and expect a fix soon a simple star case and call will answer it that.

I not once doubted anyone with this concern. I don't believe that people want to waste their time a dealer with made up concerns about their vehicle.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is some actual info on the code U0402 and the concern. Unfortunately they know about it and don't have an answer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220415-231027_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20220415-231027_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 38

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"Advise the customer to avoid using tow/haul mode at this time." :LOL:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pulling off to power cycle the truck was a minor annoyance, but no way I'm towing through Kentucky, WV, etc without tow/haul on.

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score
Trying to figure out how to reproduce the issue repeatedly is key and seems to be tied to the eTorque trucks as far as I can tell.

(22 Limited 5.7 without eTorque I had for 4 mos, never had this issue in 7k miles ... & It was used in Tow/haul often)

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I gave my dealer some basic info when it first happened, and he seemed to think it was the eTorque battery needing replaced based on what I was experiencing and what they've seen come in. Not sure what the eTorque battery has to do with the TCM, but I'm going to talk to him more next week.

RamNoLimits

Reaction score
+1
I had the same problem.
Just over 500 miles on the 2022 1500 Limited 5.7 eTorque.
PIcked up the boat to tow it home (not huge, 3k lbs or so.)
Drove it in Tow/Haul mode for the first time.
Drove about 30 miles, then coming to a stop at a light:
Vibration/runs rough (sometimes it feels like the eTorque just keeps it in high gear while you stop and just lets it stall! :p)
CEL; Auto Stop/Start warning; ACC warning.
Power cycle Truck
CEL remains, other lights off; truck runs fine.
RAM App starts sends me 3 Vehicle Health Checks with issues.
Drive home, pull code: U0402 (Implausible Data Received from Transmission)
Scheduled service (they're a week out!)
Drove it that week, CEL resolved in a day or so, truck ran fine.
RAM App sends me vehicle health checks at least once per day with a warning for the ACC (my 'scan tool', Torque Lite, only finds the U0402 code stored)
Took in to dealer (CEL now off)
Dealer finds stored code, with 44 good key cycles since the code was stored; Considers me crazy for bringing in the truck (even though the RAM app asked me to EVERY DAY, and I caught a CEL with 550 miles on the truck!).
Dealer called it a "Fluke" and shoudn't happen again.
I am not convinced.

(Drove it around in Tow mode this week w/ no trailer, and no issues yet, so we'll see)
(1000 miles on a brand new truck, and I'm worried it may not drive, thanks Chrysler,Dodge,Ram!)

Thanks to the others for posting, and especially for the STAR case info!

Users who are viewing this thread