5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First truck, Coming from German

Afrojim2009

Reaction score
First time truck buyer/driver
All my history is Germany, 4 BMWs, a VW, and latest is a 2014 Mercedes. E350 wagon. I still do have my first car, an '82 BMW 3 series.
Ordered a 22 1500 Laramie, crew, long bed, ORG, bench seat, finally got a Window stick last week and will be driving from Dallas to Louisiana for delivery from Mark Dodge.
Hoping to pick it up Early January at the latest.
Cannot wait to get back into a vehicle with a robust aftermarket and start modifying my vehicle again.

Going to get equipped with some handicap equipment

Driver Lift
Bed mounted wheelchair lift

1C6SRFRT0NN156300

Looking forward to my next adventure!

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
:cool: Welcome. Looks like a nicely optioned rig... and you'll still have a transmission from the German 'gear factory'. (y)

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. I'm also a long time German car owner, though I've owned full size trucks just as long. My history has also been mostly BMWs, E46s and E90s predominately, all manuals.

I've been wanting to drive stick again, recently purchased a Chrysler Crossfire coupe, essentially a rebodied Mercedes SLK320 (R170), even has that burnt crayon interior smell that all German cars of that era seem to have.

This is actually a great time to start driving trucks, especially American trucks, their level of refinement and driving dynamics has never been higher, along with the available driving, convenience and safety tech. Your W212 touring is probably pretty close to a modern truck in terms of dynamics, ride comfort. But on the technology side, you will be impressed with your new truck.

Fit and finish will be comparable to your average $35,000 car, not quite at the level of say a $55,000 premium sedan, since these trucks MSRP starts and $30,000 and can easily double with options and configuration, the paint and fit quality doesn't double with the price.

Reliability should be better, however as with most modern vehicles, with so many electronics, gadgets, cameras, infotainment, etc., there is additional room for the occasional bug, that will sometimes come and go without explanation. Example is my rear camera once or twice a year won't work for a few minutes. Powertrain stuff however is rare, no expensive long-term powertrain issues generally. Things like expensive cooling, electric water pumps, turbos, etc. that will haunt you at 70,000 miles on your typical German generally don't happen on these trucks.

Your low mpg will be the worst thing about owning your truck. Especially if you have large tires and 3.92 rear axle. However, it's more than compensated for the sheer capabilities you get and resale value / low depreciation, which is completely opposite of German sedans.

Last edited:

Jsvt3

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a German car in the garage for fun in the warmer months (B9 Audi S4) and I just love my current truck and my previous trucks. They are obviously very different machines with different purposes but I think you’ll be extremely happy. Welcome!

Afrojim2009

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. I'm also a long time German car owner, though I've owned full size trucks just as long. My history has also been mostly BMWs, E46s and E90s predominately, all manuals.

I've been wanting to drive stick again, recently purchased a Chrysler Crossfire coupe, essentially a rebodied Mercedes SLK320 (R170), even has that burnt crayon interior smell that all German cars of that era seem to have.

This is actually a great time to start driving trucks, especially American trucks, their level of refinement and driving dynamics has never been higher, along with the available driving, convenience and safety tech. Your W212 touring is probably pretty close to a modern truck in terms of dynamics, ride comfort. But on the technology side, you will be impressed with your new truck.

Fit and finish will be comparable to your average $35,000 car, not quite at the level of say a $55,000 premium sedan, since these trucks MSRP starts and $30,000 and can easily double with options and configuration, the paint and fit quality doesn't double with the price.

Reliability should be better, however as with most modern vehicles, with so many electronics, gadgets, cameras, infotainment, etc., there is additional room for the occasional bug, that will sometimes come and go without explanation. Example is my rear camera once or twice a year won't work for a few minutes. Powertrain stuff however is rare, no expensive long-term powertrain issues generally. Things like expensive cooling, electric water pumps, turbos, etc. that will haunt you at 70,000 miles on your typical German generally don't happen on these trucks.

Your low mpg will be the worst thing about owning your truck. Especially if you have large tires and 3.92 rear axle. However, it's more than compensated for the sheer capabilities you get and resale value / low depreciation, which is completely opposite of German sedans.

E46 are some of my favorite from general style and driving dynamics. My history has been , E21, 2x E36 (flipped one at age 19 within 30 days), E39 (first V8), 07 Passat Wagon, S
212 E350 Wagon
I will miss cruising in comfort at 120 on toll roads. My wagon feels very settled at high speed. Surprisingly I haven't had any major issues in 30 months of ownership (bought at 60k, now at 100k) besides a small oil leak and a leaking air suspension both fixed under CPO. Avoided the Ram air suspension like the plague after that experience. Same with sunroof. 5 previous vehicles with, all end up leaking. Several to the point of standing water in the footwells.

I am hoping to keep this truck for many years, 10+, so hopefully drivability repairs will be few and far between. My VW electronics were a bear, same with late 90s, early 2000s BMWs with poor cooling system designs. The Benz has been lovely if dull. No real aftermarket available, something I am eagerly looking forward to with a truck.

I usually get 23 combined in the wagon, but seen upper 20s if all highway. It has a 23 gal tank which combined with decent mileage i got nearly 500 miles of range. Being disabled this is major.
On the RAM getting the 30 gal tank was a requirement. I am shocked how small the stock tank is on these. I had a Charger RT for a rental that had an 18 gallon tank, and had to stop every other day for fuel. Huge pain

Users who are viewing this thread