5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First trip towing. First impressions and MPG

ddang66224

Reaction score
First trip since getting the new Longhorn and breaking in around town and highway runs to 500 miles. Took it from KC to roughly Jonesboro towing our 25' travel trailer.

First off first impressions: Coming from towing the travel trailer with a Cayenne GTS, I will say the Hemi, as expected has plenty of power. Being a longer wheelbase and heavier truck, definitely didn't feel the bounce or push/pull feeling of the trailer as much. In the end the wife felt a lot more comfortable/reassured so that is a plus. Look forward to the next trip back down to Arkansas and then up to Wisconsin in October.

Comfort and amenities wise, kids loved the space in the backseat compared to the Cayenne. It really is amazing how mich space is back there and under the seat. A few things I noticed, of all amenities that Ram threw at this thing, one thing I miss is the electronic steering column adjustment. I adjust quite a bit while on the road for anything more than 3 hours, and the manual adjustment can be a bit daunting when towing. Otherwise it's not that big of a deal. Seats were great but cooled seats got loud occasionally. Interior is super quiet, even compared to our previous Range Rover and Cayenne, so everyone was happy.

One thing that seemed odd was it seemed like Radio was fading out on driver side occasionally. Did a search on the forum and it seemed like this is a hit or miss issue. I was using XM so thought it was radio signal. However later in the trip home switched to bluetooth. Didn't happen as frequently as XM, but was happening. Anyone else have this issue and resolved?

Mechanically, the transmission on the Ram definitely ran cooler than the Porsche did my gauges showed 175-180 alot of the times and peaking around 195. The Porsche varied between 190 and 205. Oil on the other hand was definitely higher, hovering right around 230-240. The porsche came in around 215-220. Is this because Ram's use conventional motor from the factory?

MPG whie, reading on the forums here and others, a lot of people say not to expect MPGs to be too good until after 1000K or more miles. I averaged only 8.8 MPG cruising around 70 when possible. Hit a storm on the way back today and slowed to 60-65. Seems low to me considering I was getting around 11-12 MPG with the Porsche. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

More to come so far pretty happy with the truck. However my passive door locks on the driver side did quit working. Was hoping that it would resolve it self like it did for some others, but looks like I might have to visit the dealer for it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the first impressions. We are shopping around for a trailer ourselves.

Just curious, did you use the trailer brake? Do you have factory installed tow mirrors?

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Speaking to the mpg that is spot on for towing with the Hemi. I had a 2019 hemi and towed my RV fish house with it quite a few times and 8.5-9mpg is what I got every time. Mine weighs 4,600 dry with 675# hitch weight. I’m guessing it weighs about 5,500# when loaded up.

ddang66224

Reaction score
Thanks for the first impressions. We are shopping around for a trailer ourselves.

Just curious, did you use the trailer brake? Do you have factory installed tow mirrors?

Yes, anything over "x weigh" requires trailer brakes here in Kansas/Missouri. I wouldn't want to tow without them to tell you the truth. Our HIKE trailer is about 4300 dry and I find that the electric light trailer setup on the truck is the most appropriate setting. The electric heavy was really aggressive for our setup.

I have the standard tow mirrors which work great for our travel trailer. It's 25 feet total including the tongue and I see perfectly straight back with the standard mirrors. But I believe your experience will vary depending on the width of your trailer ours is only 7'9" wide so the truck with standard mirrors is more than enough. Honestly, anything is better than the tiny mirrors we had on the Porsche GTS.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Looks like your hitch is a little high as the trailer is not level. Anything over 5000lbs, which you are likely to be with water, propane and trailer contents, should have a weight distributing hitch, and is actually law in a lot of states. Get your hitch height fixed and add a weight distributing hitch and you will likely enjoy the tow more, and may even see some MPG boost from not dragging the bottom surface area throw the wind.

Bainers

Reaction score
MPG whie, reading on the forums here and others, a lot of people say not to expect MPGs to be too good until after 1000K or more miles. I averaged only 8.8 MPG cruising around 70 when possible. Hit a storm on the way back today and slowed to 60-65. Seems low to me considering I was getting around 11-12 MPG with the Porsche. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

I average 10-11mpg with my Ram (3.92 gearing) at 60mph towing a 23' 6000lb travel trailer. I got 11-12mpg towing the same trailer at the same speed with a 2019 Ford Ranger.

ddang66224

Reaction score
Looks like your hitch is a little high as the trailer is not level. Anything over 5000lbs, which you are likely to be with water, propane and trailer contents, should have a weight distributing hitch, and is actually law in a lot of states. Get your hitch height fixed and add a weight distributing hitch and you will likely enjoy the tow more, and may even see some MPG boost from not dragging the bottom surface area throw the wind.
Thanks for the advice, I will double check the height. But when I setup, the frame height off the surface it was within a half inch of each other. It might be the angle of the picture but will double check for sure.

Already have a WD hitch on there so might just have to lower the ball a notch if that is the case.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I will double check the height. But when I setup, the frame height off the surface it was within a half inch of each other. It might be the angle of the picture but will double check for sure.

Already have a WD hitch on there so might just have to lower the ball a notch if that is the case.
Usually better of a little nose down vs nose up towing. Nose up will tend to sway easier and drop more mpg, especially in wind (plus potential of dragging something behind the axles on steep driveway/parking lot entrances)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I average 10-11mpg with my Ram (3.92 gearing) at 60mph towing a 23' 6000lb travel trailer. I got 11-12mpg towing the same trailer at the same speed with a 2019 Ford Ranger.
I just had this come up with a guy on another forum. But is was a Canyon. Canyon had a Base weight about 1200lbs less than the RAM.

So basically because the trailer was under both trucks tow rating...the RAM IS actually moving 1200lbs more weight.

Or in this particular case...because the RAM has more capacity the RAM owner had more stuff in the truck...adding to the difference.

Like my situation. I have a 5700 lb camper. If I drove with a REBEL and then my TRADESMAN...just me in the truck. The REBEL would tow much better.
Why...the REBEL has a base weight of 5600 and my TRADESMAN a base weight of 7002.

Now...loaded for camp with my family...wood...bikes...kayaks...my truck has 2400lbs of payload in it...putting my truck at 9402...still way below gross of 10k. The REBEL with the same load would be 8000lbs...900lbs over gross weight. Here is why I have a 392 Hemi in a 2500 truck...because the 1/2 ton can not do it.

Bainers

Reaction score
I just had this come up with a guy on another forum. But is was a Canyon. Canyon had a Base weight about 1200lbs less than the RAM.

So basically because the trailer was under both trucks tow rating...the RAM IS actually moving 1200lbs more weight.

Or in this particular case...because the RAM has more capacity the RAM owner had more stuff in the truck...adding to the difference.

Like my situation. I have a 5700 lb camper. If I drove with a REBEL and then my TRADESMAN...just me in the truck. The REBEL would tow much better.
Why...the REBEL has a base weight of 5600 and my TRADESMAN a base weight of 7002.

Now...loaded for camp with my family...wood...bikes...kayaks...my truck has 2400lbs of payload in it...putting my truck at 9402...still way below gross of 10k. The REBEL with the same load would be 8000lbs...900lbs over gross weight. Here is why I have a 392 Hemi in a 2500 truck...because the 1/2 ton can not do it.
As for the Ranger, the limitation that had me changing trucks is the hitch rating of 750lbs. I still had 100lbs to work with the 1500lb payload capacity.

The Ranger was about 1000lb less than the Ram base weight and had 3.73 gears so it makes sense from a mpg sense in towing difference.

Users who are viewing this thread