5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First time towing with a lifted truck.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Well, I have a 4" drop bar for my 7x14 enclosed trailer, 7k GVWR, and that worked fine with my F-150. BUT, with my new RAM w/air suspension, I'll need a 6" drop bar to compensate for the AS compensating for the squat... so there's that.

I'd ask someone at your work, or purchase one of those multi-position bars that have like 10 heights to drop/raise the ball.

My off the cuff guess would be 12" drop bar. Impossible to know without seeing how much droop you have when hooked to a trailer, and what the trailer weighs.

-John

pber1

Reaction score
Well, I have a 4" drop bar for my 7x14 enclosed trailer, 7k GVWR, and that worked fine with my F-150. BUT, with my new RAM w/air suspension, I'll need a 6" drop bar to compensate for the AS compensating for the squat... so there's that.

I'd ask someone at your work, or purchase one of those multi-position bars that have like 10 heights to drop/raise the ball.

My off the cuff guess would be 12" drop bar. Impossible to know without seeing how much droop you have when hooked to a trailer, and what the trailer weighs.

-John
Thanks for you help! I ordered a B&W 9in drop hitch so let’s see how that plays out!

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Thanks for you help! I ordered a B&W 9in drop hitch so let’s see how that plays out!

I hope it works for you! I should've prefaced my post with, "I'm no towing expert, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

I recently got into towing, since I bought my 7x14 enclosed trailer, so I know what I learned during that research. My towing experience before that was helping out my father-in-law with towing cars and stuff he bought on eBay, as well as uHaul trailers hauling one of my bikes around.

-John

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At stock height I have used a 3" and a 5" for towing my boat. I think the 5" may shift a little too much weight to the ball...I'm still trying to figure out which is best. I know....my truck is stock height; but that may help give you a little perspective. My guess is that you would probably need a 8 to 10 inch drop with a 6 inch lift; depending upon what type of trailer you have.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a new hitch for my RAM 2500. Stock height and stock size tires. I got a 7 and 3/4 inch drop from Reese. Hauls my camper level...but a utility trailer would need more drop.

Just a perspective. It will depend on alot more than just measurements...so an adjustable hitch like you got will work well.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score

I ordered that so I'd have adjustment for future. I also tow a car trailer and a boat that takes the two different sized balls the Curt comes with. Makes it easy to change.

I could have gotten away with my regular 2" drop mount that I used with my Suburban but wanted to be 100% certain on the Ram. Best thing to do is measure but the adjustable hitch you bought should do fine.

Reaction score
So I gotta start towing some stuff for work and need to know how much of drop I’m gonna need.
I'm looking for the same I have a 2022 ram bighorn 1500 Crew 4x4 black widow edition. 6 inch fox suspension lift. 35x12.50x22. I run a lawn care business and have a camper both have different size couplers. Camper is 2 5/16 and utility trailer has a 2in coupler. I already have a blue ox weight distributing 2 5/16 hitch for the camper.

Reaction score
So I gotta start towing some stuff for work and need to know how much of drop I’m gonna need.
I'm looking for the same I have a 2022 ram bighorn 1500 Crew 4x4 5.7 hemi eco black widow edition. 6 inch fox suspension lift. 35x12.50x22. I run a lawn care business and have a camper both have different size couplers. Camper is 2 5/16 and utility trailer has a 2in coupler. I already have a blue ox weight distributing 2 5/16 hitch for the camper.

Users who are viewing this thread