5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Ram!

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For running boards / side steps , it all depends on what you like and how much you want to spend .
I have the off road style and love them 80A0B477-AC2A-4337-9948-081A72C089A5.jpeg

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My decision to purchase now was based on the fact that I was driving a 12 year old Nissan Pathfinder with 209,000 miles on it. My wife doesn't drive (medical reasons), so this is our only "real" vehicle. (We also have an 84 Jeep CJ-7, but that's just for summer time fun.) The Pathfinder has been good to me, but it's to the point where I don't know how much I can trust it and I'm not willing to put much more into repairing it when something goes wrong. We had planned to buy something this spring/summer - I was not going to trust the Nissan through another Minnesota winter. With the production shutdown and the uncertain near-term future (further outbreaks? more shutdowns?), I didn't want to wait until the Nissan completely died, forcing me to buy something when inventory may be limited and I'd have to settle for something I wasn't completely happy with. This one had everything I wanted, in the color I wanted and had the rebates, so I pulled the trigger.
Nice that you got good service out of the Nissan. You made a good decision to update/buy new.
I’m not a RAM apologist, having come from a fairly long time with Ferd, any of the big 3 is basically updated enough to please (Ferd interiors not so much). Toyota is still lagging behind as far as technology and interior, and the Titan doesn’t do much for me, so...
RAM had the best prices when I bought and the interior and ride were top!

Last edited by a moderator:

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice truck.
I have a Lomax Tonneau and it's ok but I would probably get something else. The fact it doesn't fold up against the rear window is a pain in the ***. It's easy to remove but it's awkward and quite heavy. It also leaks a bit.

MonsterTaco

Reaction score
Welcome and congratulations on your new truck , Maximum Steel right ?
Yes, it was between that and Granite Crystal when I initially was looking online. Once I saw Maximum Steel in person, I fell in love with it. But, I was still between the 2 on the day I made the purchase - the Granite one had the convenience package and the panoramic sunroof. I ultimately decided that I'd rather have the color I wanted than the extra features - neither of which were a big deal to me anyway.

MonsterTaco

Reaction score
Nice truck.
I have a Lomax Tonneau and it's ok but I would probably get something else. The fact it doesn't fold up against the rear window is a pain in the ***. It's easy to remove but it's awkward and quite heavy. It also leaks a bit.
Thanks for the tip!

MonsterTaco

Reaction score
Nice that you got good service out of the Nissan. You made a good decision to update/buy new.
I’m not a RAM apologist, having come from a fairly long time with Ferd, any of the big 3 is basically updated enough to please (Ferd interiors not so much). Toyota is still lagging behind as far as technology and interior, and the Titan doesn’t do much for me, so...
RAM had the best prices when I bought and the interior and ride were top!
Yeah, it really was a good vehicle for me. I had a stretch around 100k miles where I had 3 somewhat expensive repairs in a 6 - 8 month period (probably $4-5k total) and I thought it was the beginning of the end. But never had much more than oil, brakes and tires after that. And not having a car payment for over 6 years, I can't complain.
I'm not particularly loyal to any one brand either (although my dad would probably be rolling in his grave if I bought a Ford). I drove the F150, Titan and Ram. Toyota wasn't a consideration because I knew they were lagging in the tech and interior and Chevy was out because I think the new body style is just plain ugly. Both Ford and Titan were fine, but I liked everything about the Ram more. Put 540 miles on it over the weekend (up to 610 total now) and so far I'm still loving it!

Btolar1968

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip!
I’m in the bed cover shopping market right now too. Here are some findings that may be of interest to you. If you have Rambox, your choices are narrowed a bit (Paragon doesn’t make a cover for them). I’ve been studying the best tonneau covers for UNDER $1000 in an effort to make the best selection. Here’s my short list (in my order of preference) with key feature of interest to me. Hope it helps.
A. Lomax Hard Tri-Fold; super thin and totally removable. Comes in flat black or a new black urethane. I’m waiting on samples of each to evaluate.
B. BAKFlip MX4; easy to use but blocks back window when fully open. Some don’t mind the rear window bing blocked, but I would hate it.
C. BAK Revolver X2; doesn’t block window when rolled up. Can be a little gimmicky regarding tailgate closure and some say you can hear it make a rattling noise when rear window is open.
Leaks have a lot to do with installation.
Congrats on the new Ram. Good luck on your search and keep us posted.

Azmyth

Reaction score
I’m in the bed cover shopping market right now too. Here are some findings that may be of interest to you. If you have Rambox, your choices are narrowed a bit (Paragon doesn’t make a cover for them). I’ve been studying the best tonneau covers for UNDER $1000 in an effort to make the best selection. Here’s my short list (in my order of preference) with key feature of interest to me. Hope it helps.
A. Lomax Hard Tri-Fold; super thin and totally removable. Comes in flat black or a new black urethane. I’m waiting on samples of each to evaluate.
B. BAKFlip MX4; easy to use but blocks back window when fully open. Some don’t mind the rear window bing blocked, but I would hate it.
C. BAK Revolver X2; doesn’t block window when rolled up. Can be a little gimmicky regarding tailgate closure and some say you can hear it make a rattling noise when rear window is open.
Leaks have a lot to do with installation.
Congrats on the new Ram. Good luck on your search and keep us posted.

Have to say I like the BAK Revolver with the Ram Box. Rolls up and clips easy - no concerns with the tailgate, or leaks (so far) but it does have a small amount of noise with the back window open.

Gunny1213

Reaction score
Nice truck! - as for the tonneau cover and side boards as long as your comfortable you can install them yourselves and save money. easy to do and it doesn't take long. Congratulations on the new truck.

Users who are viewing this thread