5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Oil Change....

SecretAznMan007

Reaction score
So I did my first oil change today. I did it at 3500 miles. It might be low but we are planning on going on a road trip soon. I went with the Mobil 1 (5W-20) and Mobil 1 (M1-113A) oil filter. Anyone else using this brand in their Ram 1500? I cut a used water bottle to make a ramp for the oil to run off into the oil collection pan.

It looks like there are a few people on here complaining about taking off the original oil filter too. I also had that issue. I wonder what torque spec they used at the factory but it was a ***** to take off!!!! In the end, I had to drill into the filter so I can run a long screwdriver through to get some leverage to take it off. It was quite a task!

50132447181_30dd31b4a4_b.jpg

50131892708_561a6c0319_b.jpg

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I did my first oil change today. I did it at 3500 miles. It might be low but we are planning on going on a road trip soon. I went with the Mobil 1 (5W-20) and Mobil 1 (M1-113A) oil filter. Anyone else using this brand in their Ram 1500? I cut a used water bottle to make a ramp for the oil to run off into the oil collection pan.

It looks like there are a few people on here complaining about taking off the original oil filter too. I also had that issue. I wonder what torque spec they used at the factory but it was a ***** to take off!!!! In the end, I had to drill into the filter so I can run a long screwdriver through to get some leverage to take it off. It was quite a task!

50132447181_30dd31b4a4_b.jpg

50131892708_561a6c0319_b.jpg

Great job man, I recently did it as well, the oil filter was what I was worried about the most. Luckily, mine came off pretty easily. Did you warm up your engine prior to the oil change? I waited until my oil was at full operating temp, around 200F degrees before I did my oil change, I wonder if that made the oil filter easier to remove?

Great idea on the oil ramp by the way.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
If it matters to you Mobil 1 does not carry the Chrysler material standard MS-6395 certification. That may only matter if you have a warranty claim for an engine problem and the dealership and or FCA makes an issue of it.

SecretAznMan007

Reaction score
Great job man, I recently did it as well, the oil filter was what I was worried about the most. Luckily, mine came off pretty easily. Did you warm up your engine prior to the oil change? I waited until my oil was at full operating temp, around 200F degrees before I did my oil change, I wonder if that made the oil filter easier to remove?

Great idea on the oil ramp by the way.

I did not warm up the engine when I did the oil change. It might have helped but I didn't want to deal with the potential of getting hot oil all over me.

SecretAznMan007

Reaction score
If it matters to you Mobil 1 does not carry the Chrysler material standard MS-6395 certification. That may only matter if you have a warranty claim for an engine problem and the dealership and or FCA makes an issue of it.

Yeah I did some research on this and was a bit worried as well. But after doing some research and reading some of the spec sheets on the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W-20, it meets or exceeds the MS-6395 requirement! I have attached the spec sheet. It's on the second page. Hopefully I am reading it correctly.

Attachments

• NA-XX-Mobil-Full-Synthetic-Series.pdf
    119.8 KB · Views: 7

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I did not warm up the engine when I did the oil change. It might have helped but I didn't want to deal with the potential of getting hot oil all over me.

Gotcha, for me the oil change was actually pretty easy. To prevent the oil from coming out too fast, I left the oil cap on tight for the initial drain. It came out easy and slow even though it was hot.

The oil filter, I used a two zip lock bag method. Once I loosened the oil filter, I put the first bag on, then slowly loosened it until oil started leaking out, waited about 1 minute for it to stop dripping, then removed that bag. Then I slid the 2nd zip lock bag on, finished unscrewing the filter. Another 1/4 once comes out after you take the filter out, just held the bag there for a few seconds to catch that oil. And that's it, zero drips.

Should be a lot easier the next time around since your filter won't be on too tight. I posted my write up a few days before you did, about 4,500 miles / 1 year on my change.

SecretAznMan007

Reaction score
Gotcha, for me the oil change was actually pretty easy. To prevent the oil from coming out too fast, I left the oil cap on tight for the initial drain. It came out easy and slow even though it was hot.

The oil filter, I used a two zip lock bag method. Once I loosened the oil filter, I put the first bag on, then slowly loosened it until oil started leaking out, waited about 1 minute for it to stop dripping, then removed that bag. Then I slid the 2nd zip lock bag on, finished unscrewing the filter. Another 1/4 once comes out after you take the filter out, just held the bag there for a few seconds to catch that oil. And that's it, zero drips.

Should be a lot easier the next time around since your filter won't be on too tight. I posted my write up a few days before you did, about 4,500 miles / 1 year on my change.

Yeah Ziplock bags definitely helped with containing the mess with the oil filter. And I made sure I did not over-tighten the new filter.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yeah Ziplock bags definitely helped with containing the mess with the oil filter. And I made sure I did not over-tighten the new filter.

Just noticed your screen name, lol, thought I was the only one that owned a RAM. Pinoy here.

Stevenc150

Reaction score

Nice job. Speaking from exp of 3 new rams, u can just shove a flat-head screwdriver thru by hand ;) And always hand tighten the replacement OF by hand - never a single issue

Oh and that's the exact oil & filter Ive always used in every ram I owned (5 total). Its a great oil

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Yeah I did some research on this and was a bit worried as well. But after doing some research and reading some of the spec sheets on the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W-20, it meets or exceeds the MS-6395 requirement! I have attached the spec sheet. It's on the second page. Hopefully I am reading it correctly.
The data sheet you linked to is for their Full Synthetic line which is not Mobil 1, it's a completely different product that was formerly called Super Synthetic and is a tier lower in quality than Mobil 1. I have attached the product page for Mobil 1, you can check any of the products listed there and will find that none of them carry the MS-6395 certification, or any other Chrysler specification.

Scram1500

Reaction score
As much as I like Mobil 1 and used it on my euroboxes, it is not stamped with MS-6395 and that could be enough to throw a wrench into a potential warranty claim. For motor oil the manual specifically states "...MS-6395 such as Mopar, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix"

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the reason your filter was so hard to get off is you tried it with a cold engine. Next time if you do it when the oil is warm,( wait about 15 minutes after shutting off a fully warmed up vehicle), it should be a lot easier. Oh, and don't forget to coat the o-ring on the new filter with a little oil before install!

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey I’m curious at what percentage oil life people are changing their oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread