5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First oil change metal shavings

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
I'll probably get mine changed at 3K miles, from then on when the computer gets down to 30%.

I have the lifetime warranty so getting it serviced at a dealer at the correct time is obviously a must, I imagine 30% would be around every 7K miles with my driving habits

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the lifetime warranty so getting it serviced at a dealer at the correct time is obviously a must, I imagine 30% would be around every 7K miles with my driving habits

Does the warranty specifically state that service *must* be performed at the dealer or else it will be void? If not, then you can do the service yourself, but you will need to ensure you keep proof that service was indeed done... receipts and dated pics work well.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
i've been researching this quite a bit. Below is an interested piece of info i found while actively seeking commentary from Blackstone labs. This research has changed my opinion on the subject.

When you buy a new car, change your oil at 3,000 miles to remove metal particles from the engine break-in process. There might be a grain of truth to this, according to the experts at Blackstone. Oil samples from engines during the first 3,000 miles of driving show elevated "wear-in" metal levels, coming from the pistons and camshafts, says Ryan Stark, Blackstone's president. But he added, "To me, it doesn't make that much difference because if the filings are big enough to cause damage, they will be taken out by the oil filter."

However, a Honda spokesman says its cars come from the factory with a special oil formulation for the break-in period. Honda advises owners to not change the oil early. Stark said Blackstone Laboratories' test of Honda's break-in oil shows it contains molybdenum-disulfide, an anti-wear additive. But Stark said Honda is the only manufacturer he knows that's using special break-in oil. The take-away? If there are any special break-in recommendations from the manufacturer, follow them. And consider analyzing the oil at 3,000 miles.

this is from 2011, so i'm sure more than just honda are using special break in oils.

A fram ultra filter is 99% efficient at 20 microns and 94% efficient at 10 microns.
A micron is .00004 inches. A human red blood cell is about 5 microns across. A human hair is 50 microns.

The oil goes straight from the pickup to the filter before reaching the engine.

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
Does the warranty specifically state that service *must* be performed at the dealer or else it will be void? If not, then you can do the service yourself, but you will need to ensure you keep proof that service was indeed done... receipts and dated pics work well.

The wording is authorized FCA dealer or keep records with proof that the required work at the required mileage was done,

I'm a marine engineer and the last thing I wanna do on my time off is touch more wrenches or deal with anything mechanical, so I'll spend the money.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm a marine engineer and the last thing I wanna do on my time off is touch more wrenches or deal with anything mechanical, so I'll spend the money.

I totally understand... I'm letting the dealer do the 1st change. After that I'll see what they charge vs what the cost is + my time...

foolsh1

Reaction score
I did mine a 1000 miles, firm believer of getting the first couple oil changes early if you are keeping the vehicle. :geek:

HEMI19

Reaction score
Have this in my oil at 5,000 miles, factory oil was changed out at 1,000 miles, really not sure what could he causing this to happen, has anyone noticed this with subsequent oil changes or only the first?

gpbst3

Reaction score
If all of this metal shaving talk is correct, it seems to me that a transmission, transfer case and read end would all wear out prematurely due to this problem. But they don't.

Hard to argue with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/